Trike Conversions;Tri -Wing,anyone had the conversion - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Hi all there,s a company only 25 mile away here in the uk doing the tri wing,trike conversions.Not been down for a look yet,but as the company that builds them is based in the US ,wondered if anyone had this conversion.

Regards

Alan

1995,SE,20TH ANNIVERSARY;CANDY APPLE 2 TONE RED
TRI WING TRIKE!!!
Proggresive 416 shocks,
American racing Anson sprint Wheels.

3 WHEELS ON MY WAGON AND ENJOYING EVERY MINUTE!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 08:56 PM
Just one of the guys

Model: '94 1500 SE with Tri-wing Trike kit
Garage
Post imported post

I did the Tri-Wing conversion this past spring.

The components all are of good quality. The fiberglass is all nice and smooth, the top deck of the fiberglass is over a sheet of plywood so it is plenty strong. I like the way it looks.

I did move the axle back on the frame from what the instructions called for, it looks a lot better that way. I have the body as far forward as I reasonably could get it and the tires were not centered in the wheel wells until I moved it back.

It is a solid axle. Some folks prefer the independent suspension.

One thing about it that is a bit different, the new swing arm that comes with the kit is 2 pieces that mount on the outside of the bike frame. The passenger boards are mounted on the swing arm and these work just fine, my wife is happy. The issue comes with the driver's feet. The forward part of the swing arm is very close to my heels when my feet are on the pegs. I can't move my feet back if I want to. Also if you have driver's foot board you could have issues getting your feet comfortable. I use pegs and am fine with it but you would do well to find one to try out before you buy. A side note, having the swing arms on the outside of the frame certainly looks like it is stronger that way.

The best advice overall is that if you can, ride several then make your choice.

Doug

Home Security System designed by Bill Ruger

'94 Bermuda Green Pearl SE With Tri-Wing Trike conversion

The more I try to keep my Trike clean, the less I like Chrome.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks for the reply Doug,I wont be doin the conversion myself its a fairly local company doing the conversions.I take it the axle uses the original air suspension.2 up how do you find the ride.I dont have footboards on front, just footrest.The reason for the trike conversion i have disability issues so money is quite tight,as this conversion comes with a body kit for the money its just in my budget.All the other conversions with a body and indepdent suspensionstart at £8000 +.Which at present is unavaiable.If the build qualities fine and i can enjoy wind in the hair againwill be happy

ALAN

TRI WING TRIKE!!!
Proggresive 416 shocks,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 06:14 AM
Just one of the guys

Model: '94 1500 SE with Tri-wing Trike kit
Garage
Post imported post

The ride is good enough. You do have to watch driveway entrances and such and try to hit the dip with both rear tires at the same time or the trike will toss back and forth a bit. It is something you get used to.

It requires the shocks to be matched, there is no longer a single piece swing arm, there are 2 separate ones that connect to the axle. I bought a pair of progressive air shocks as those are about the only ones I could find that would fit. They are a bit stiff by nature so if you want a softer ride you may want to look for something else, there may be some available over there that are not available here. It uses a 13 1/2 inch shock. Air shocks ar highly recommended so you can adjust the ride based on the load and road.

Other expenses that are not included in the basic kit are tires and rims. Tri-wing recommends zero offset rims. I only found a couple of set and they were very pricey so I went with some that are .35 offset. They are very close to the swing arm even with the spacers Tri-Wing provided so be watchful of the offset.

Be sure the price you are given includes everything, not just for the kit or it might be more than you expect when all is said and done.

I did a post on the conversion here;

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/...736636#p736636

Doug

Home Security System designed by Bill Ruger

'94 Bermuda Green Pearl SE With Tri-Wing Trike conversion

The more I try to keep my Trike clean, the less I like Chrome.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Hi doug phoned the trike conversion company this morning they have a goldwing conversion they are doing at the moment so going to go down for a look next week.The conversion is £3995 complete with rims and tyres,paint is £465,tow bar is £120,drum brakes can be upgraded to disc brakes £400,but will prob stick with drums.When i go next weekwill discuss about the shocks as its a back problem i ve got so will want a smooth ride.Thanks for that link now i ve seen pictures of your trike its definately the same body.

ALAN

TRI WING TRIKE!!!
Proggresive 416 shocks,

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 02:47 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Went to trike builder yesterday,finished trike as reconditioned shortened axle,new hub brakes,new shocks,choice of 2 sizes of boot space,going for largersize,tow bar.Nice body with matching 2 tone paint.nice pair of alloy wheels and tyres.Not a penny is asked for till finished trike arrives back completed.Soon as funding is sorted will get it triked then can enjoy life on the open road again

ALAN

TRI WING TRIKE!!!
Proggresive 416 shocks,

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 04:53 PM

Post imported post

Howya big al59

Just toying with the idea of triking my GW .Did you go ahead with yours ? and whats the name of the company ?

Cheers

MW

Eric
Previously owned
CBR250RR
Bandit 400
bandit 600
ST1100 Pan European
GL1500
TDM850
GL1500SE
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 03:19 PM

Post imported post

My conversion is a Tri-Wing. Its great because of its simplicity. Easy to work on any very sturdy. The rear is a modified Mustang II.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 05:21 PM

Model: 1990 GL1500
Post imported post

Tri-Wing are manufactured in Victoria BC Canada

http://triwing.com/prices.htm

<-----------Zoe and Duff

Doing nothing is very hard to do ... you never know when you\'re finished. - Leslie Nielsen RIP

Metallic Blue Green is the new Black!
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Hi MW not had it done yet;

TRI WING TRIKE!!!
Proggresive 416 shocks,

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page