replacement windshield - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Anyone ever had a glass company fabricate a replacement windshield? Was it less costly than a normal replacement?... My '83 interstate sufferd a horizontal crack while i was doing repairs. I would like to use "Lexan" instead of plexiglass.. i was thinking maybe a local glass company might be able to do this by using the cracked one as a pattern.

knowbuddy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 10:37 AM

Model: GL1800
Post imported post

I had one made from perspex once and it was terrible.

Tom, GL1800

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 11:44 AM

Post imported post

Did you ask them for an estimate?
We have a plastic works in Sac and they'll do motorcycle shields to design, even copy old shields. I had a shield made for my CBRF2 adding 2" and a slight forward flipped lip. Cost me $130. They had them retail at $88 but none were available. I really really enjoy that shield so the price was ok. GL shields are so easy to get I doubt I'd ever have one made. The last one I bought for the 1200 was from Dennis Kirk during one of their 40% sales and I ordered enough to hit their $100=free shipping so the shield was $48.00

cagers on cell phones scare me
I owe my life to a Stebel Nautilus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 09:50 PM

Post imported post

choppas wrote:
Quote:
I had one made from perspex once and it was terrible.
Perspex is no good for this, it scratches way too easily and goes yellow with age.

Jason
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 01:55 PM

Post imported post

Usually a replacement can be had off ebay pretty cheap. I see them on there all the time from breakers. Usually you'll see new replacements for around $60. But those won't be Lexan. Just acceptable replacements.

"Please Tell Your Boobs To Quit Staring At My Eyes"
1983 GL1100I
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I was wanting to go local, and not deal with shipping charges. And i was thinking of using "lexan" in place of plexiglass. The lexan could be thin and still be stronger than standard replcements... As far as estimates go, nobody can give you one over a telephone.. the glass co. i called (get this) said that they would have a problem, making the curvature of the replacement. whaat!..? Hey if you dont want to do the job, just tell me!... i was going to let them use the "old" windshield for a pattern in cutting the new one. I called one other place. They were willing to cut a new piece for me. BUT, they dont have LEXAN!.. just cheap crap. So, i think i'm just going to buy a sheet of 1/8th in.thick lexan.. Lay down the old piece over the lexan, trace out my pattern, Blue Tape, where i need to cut or drill, jig saw with plastics blade, 800 grit sandpaper to smooth the edges. and cut the darn thing myself!. I was hoping to avoid all this.. the rest is just my time. And i have an '83 1100 I And 1/8th thick material should mold itself to the windshield mount without much trouble. the curve in it is not that much. A sheet 42x42 inchesshould be plenty to cut from.... I just called my local glass supplier.. A 42x42in. 1/8th thick "lexan" will cost me $67.00...And the samesize in "plexiglass" costs $55.00!..now why would i spend $60.00 for just plexiglass from someone i dont even know,and meet a minimum of$100.00 to get free shipping?When catalogs come, i watch them go. to the landfill. Am i making any sense here?.

knowbuddy
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

sorry if i sound terse or a little uptight. But i just removed and cleaned the gas tank, and had stuff stacked in the garage come falling down onto the top edge of my winshield. instant horizontal crack!

knowbuddy
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page