LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Model: '02 1800
Send a message via Yahoo to Ruaidh
Post imported post

Odds of hitting deer in Utah: 1 in 400

The Associated Press

Updated:09/30/2009 06:37:12 AM MDT

Insurance giant State Farm says vehicle collisions with deer are up across the country, and it provided some statistics for Utah.

Pennsylvania ranked No. 1 with more than 105,000 collisions for the year ending June 30. It was followed closely by Michigan. West Virginia, however, is the likeliest state for hitting deer. The odds for motorists are 1 in 39. West Virginia has about one deer for every two residents.

Deer collisions are less of a problem in the wide-open landscapes of the Intermountain West. Utah had about 5,700 for the reporting year. State Farm says the odds of hitting a deer in Utah are 1 in 400. The numbers show that across the country, vehicles hit deer about 100,000 times a month.

To know what is right and not act accordingly is the worst cowardice. - Confucius

Words, unwritten, have no value. - Caius Merlinus Brittanicus

Yellow '02 1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 09:04 AM
Forum Diplomat

Post imported post

Good post, Ruaidh, good post! I think that deer/bike collisions are a serious, growing problem, and we riders need to start exerting pressure on state officials to do something about it......

What they could do about it, is, of course, a mystery.....

If someone (someone with a brain like Rudy's!) could come up with a true deer avoidance system, he would die a happy millionaire!

Thanks, Ruaidh.....btw, really enjoyed conversing with you during Nassir 2..... hope to see you again someday...

First name: Mel (Red\'s: Sandy)

"It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to." (Bilbo Baggins)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 09:19 AM

Post imported post

We just need to hunt more of them. Solves 2 problems at once, reducing the deer/vehicle collisions and puts meat in the freezer. Sounds like a win-win to me .

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end. "

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 10:04 AM

Post imported post

What everyone who is interested in this needs to do is write their reps, and support their state G&F.

For those who don't know......the deer collission stats perfectly match hunting opportunity stats.

For example, PA has incredibly complex and stupid hunting laws, land access issues, and few natural predators.

The states with well managed hunting programs and protect hunter land access have the healthiest deer populations, and the fewest collisions.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 05:48 PM

Model: 1990 GL1500
Post imported post

Just blame it on Santa and Rudy!

<-----------Zoe and Duff

Doing nothing is very hard to do ... you never know when you\'re finished. - Leslie Nielsen RIP

Metallic Blue Green is the new Black!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 08:37 PM

Post imported post

Bish wrote
Quote:

For example, PA has incredibly complex and stupid hunting laws, land access issues, and few natural predators.
Can't speak to the specifics regarding PA hunting laws as I'm not a hunter. What I can tell you that is that as of last year the county I live in had the 2nd highest deer population in the state (PA). Can't hunt in the county I'm in as it is way too populated (less than 150 yd. means no rifle (that law I know)). The northern rural counties where you would think the deer population resides are all hunted out. That bears out in the statistics and also in the large number of disgruntled hunters we have around these parts. The deer are on top of the population here.

About 15 years ago I was working in an small urban community, couple of doe just moseying down the main street at 7am. They were about a block away I heard their hooves clomping on the pavement. They look up and see you and just put their heads back down and keep walking. They probably lose 20 or 25 youth a year to gun violence in that little town. Not one dead deer though.

An effective deer device would probably be worth it's weight in gold around here. I read anything I can on this board about deer collisions and sometimes get a pretty good shudder when I read some of the collision or near miss stories. There was a thread several weeks back I did pick up a what I think was a really good tip, when the collision becomes inevitable to square up on it. Can't remember who wrote to give them credit but it sounds like good advice to me.

Guess I owe more than 2 cents for that ramble.

Jim

Keep it Shiny Side Up

Jim

--------------------
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 07:11 AM

Post imported post

Gotta get me one of those Deer Alerts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 08:10 AM

Send a message via MSN to SteveTCF Send a message via Yahoo to SteveTCF
Post imported post

Deer supposedly see more in the ultraviolet range of light. That's why hunters were told not to use laundry detergent with phosphate in it - they 'glow' in the deers vision. If someone came up with some type of flasher that the deer could see but not bother on-coming traffic it might work. As far as those "deer whistles" go, seen lots of cars in the junkyard that have them and it looked like they work. It called them right in front of them!

Idsgeek has a good answer too (though my wife may disagree). I think you can never have too much venison, but I really prefer elk!

Steve
Beloit, WI
\'87 GL1200 Aspencade
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page