Tire Recommendations GL1100I Fully Loaded...TWICE!LOL - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

OK, Here we go! I tried several Forum Searches to no avail.
I am scared to open a can of worms, so I am not going to ask, "What is the BEST tires?" I have read the 1000's of posts about brand names on oil, antifreeze, filters, brake fluid, ATF and everything else. And even tires. :lol:

But I do have some tire related questions.

A couple of weekends ago a riding buddy and his girlfriend had a blowout behind me and laid their bike down. He was treated and released but she spent three days in Macon GA in the hospital, while we camped out in the MOTEL 6. That was a really rough end to a previously perfect weekend of riding in the north Georgia mountains. Missing them in my rearview, turning around and riding up on their bike and them scattered on the highway has caused me some serious concerns for my tires and our safety.

Right now I am running a Dunlop up front and a Shenko in rear. The $56 Shenko has me worried because of the old, you get what you pay for cliche ringing in my ears.

WEIGHT
My bike is fully dressed and with me and the copilot being healthy sturdy people... well let's just say we exceed the maximum weight limit a bit. To add to this, I swapped out my rear rack for an '83 which let's us sit back more and adds more of our weight to the rear.

MILEAGE.
I have put close to 17000 miles on since April, so I'm guessing for around 25k/year. So I need something that will last. I know I don't need a real soft tire or I will be changing them twice/year.

TRACTION.
I found out on the Dragon back in September that I probably will never be a sportbike rider. Screaming through the twisties is not really my riding style. I will drag the floorboards every now and then, just to help keep the blood pressure up, but I don't think I need a super soft compound tire.

PRICE.
I listed this last, because after seeing my friends laying on the asphalt... well... its just not as important of an issue anymore. If I can't afford the tires... I can't afford to ride until I steal the money from somewhere!LOL But on the same note... I don't want to drop hundreds on a tire just for the sake of spending it either. No room for unjustifiable expense(if that's a word :lol: )

So...help me out guys.

Give me some schooling.

What would be a good tire for high mileage, high weight rating and still have safe traction for the occassional peg dragging and wet riding?

2000 GL1500SE "Black Betty"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1st Wing \'82 GL1100 Interstate (Not so Red) Barchetta 21,300 miles (13 months)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 07:27 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Post imported post

If you go to DennisKirk.com - Motorcycle, Harley-Davidson, ATV, Dirt Bike, Snowmobile, PWC / Watercraft Parts, Apparel, and Accessories And look at the tires for your bike it gives all the specs, load rating, number and type of plys and such. It will help you make a decision. I really don't think there is a lot of difference in traction between brands, just go for the highest load and number of plys.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Passed On, R.I.P.

Post imported post

Well, I'm running an 82 fully loaded and pulling a trailer 2-up. It had E-2's on it when I bought it over a year ago. the rear was bad after getting home from NASSIR1 in Calhoun, Ga and I repleced it with an E-3, front got replaced this past spring, also an E-3.

I've been very happy with the mileage I've gotten with them so far and the performance in the twistys and the rain. So far no cupping and no road howling from them with the rear having close to 10,000 on it now.

Michael
Too much chrome to polish, too little time!!
Have trailer, will travel!! Not all Wingers are old Wingers.

PGR member. Riding in memory of my father, Clyde D. Ward, USN. WWII

Myself, USN, Vietnam Vet. 68-72, 74-76
VF-194 aboard the USS. Oriskany
USS Saratoga, ships company

-----------------------------------
Bagmaster, our former forum Toolmaster and friend, is no longer with us. He passed away in February 2012.

The roads and byways, no matter how beautiful and exhilarating, are a lonelier place now. RIP Bagmaster (Baggy).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 08:44 PM
Just another ORF!

Model: 92 1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

The Dunlop E3s have the highest load rating for the rear tire for a 1500, at 992lbs. Not sure what the load rating is fora 1100..... OK ... for aMT90B16, it's 830lbs @40PSI

They wear very well(I usually get 20,000+ mi on a rear{1 up but usuallyheavily loaded})and stick reasonablywell.

1992 1500 Aspencade - 213,178 showing on the clock

- just another Rider

"anyone can go fast on a straightaway" - Dusty Boots

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 08:51 PM

Garage
Post imported post

yes the e3's are the best for load carrying and all that you want a tire that has a high max load rating some are for just small loads

i am the current president of the non punctuators and bad spelling motorcycle group

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 09:41 PM
Village Whack Job...

Model: '81 GL1100 Interstate
Garage
Post imported post

Hey Baggy...where did you find an E'3 to fit yer 82?

P.G.R. Member ID: 88374

Our Soldiers are what make us strong. Without them there would be no USA.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 09:50 PM
Passed On, R.I.P.

Post imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
Quote:
Hey Baggy...where did you find an E'3 to fit yer 82?

http://www.shopcheapcycleparts.com/p...catalogId=1207

I got them while they were on sale each time, my dumb luck.

They order them direct from Dunlop then re-ship to you, takes about 3 weeks to get them. Well worth the wait.

Michael

Bagmaster, our former forum Toolmaster and friend, is no longer with us. He passed away in February 2012.

The roads and byways, no matter how beautiful and exhilarating, are a lonelier place now. RIP Bagmaster (Baggy).
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 10:18 PM
Village Whack Job...

Garage
Post imported post

The 82 must have different wheel size from the 80-81.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 10:19 PM
Village Whack Job...

Garage
Post imported post

I have 17 inch rear wheels.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 10:55 PM
Passed On, R.I.P.

Post imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
Quote:
The 82 must have different wheel size from the 80-81.
Yea, the 82 and 83 have 18 fronts and 16 rears. A little easier to find them.

Michael

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page