Looking at used Gold Wings - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

1st time here. I have been considering the purchase of a used Gold Wing, no specific unit in mind yet but am wondering if there are any model years to avoid. If your not wanting to spend alot of money is there a mileage limit a person should be concerned about? Engine sizes increased over the years from somewhere around 1100 to at least 1800 now. Were they all good engines or is there anything about any particular size that may be worth avoiding or pursuing? I am just looking for some good general opinions. My use is very seasonal due to my northern Mich. location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 03:59 PM

Post imported post

Hello and welcome sqdqo Pull up a chair and join in

Some real nice folks on here and there knowledge is endless

Life is good, well almost!!!!

A stranger is friend you have yet to meet.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 04:32 PM
Gregarious Greeter

Model: GL 1800
Garage
Post imported post

The newer the better. They all seem to run forever. 1800 is a rocket. many like the 1500 more for touring. Many like the look of the early "naked wings" It's all in what you want out of a bike. I like my 1800. Lookat my avatar to your left

Welcome from the state of Pennsylvania!

Yesterday is for memories!
Today is for making memories!
Tomorrow is a concept that does not exist!
What are you waiting for? ... Sam-n-Elaine
Just livin\' the dream!!!!!
Just another day in paradise!!!!!
Honor above all else!!!!!
Thank you Dylan Saunders for the layout of my greeting!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 06:38 PM

Model: 83 GL 1100 I
Garage
Post imported post

theres good ones AND than theres neglected ones---money pit ones and so forth. but they ALL started out good ones. so take your pick. best of luck.

1979 gl1000 dressed --back to naked
1980 gl1100 interstate --side lined
1983 gl1100 interstate the fastest color--RED
retired trucker---going to see it again ----on 2 wheels---love it--love it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 06:40 PM

Garage
Post imported post

i have one of those neglected ones..... i'll sell it to you lol

i am the current president of the non punctuators and bad spelling motorcycle group

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 06:41 PM

Garage
Post imported post

well maybe not ive done everything to it almost so i think i will keep it

i am the current president of the non punctuators and bad spelling motorcycle group

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 07:20 PM

Post imported post

All wings are good wings.....just depends on the condition the owner kept it in and it depends on your budget and mechanical abilities. The information contained herein is from my own experience.

You will find the 1200 and up wings rather "bulky" at first, especially when most of your riding experience is with an un-faired bike. I started my "Wing" experience with an '851200LTD (I bought it in Nov.2006) and it took me a little while to get the hang of it. But after a good bit of practice, it was as easy to handle as many of the smaller bikes I have ridden.

The 1100 didn't fit me as I am 6'1" and rather heavy. I have a 34" inseam and I felt cramped on the 1100 (Test rode one for my brother, who bought a 120).

I now have a 1500 and LOVE IT!! Going from a 1200 to a 1500 was about a 30 minute adjustment as it is a little bigger and alot more comfy for both my wife and I.

I have no experience with the 1800's or the 1000's.

Depending on the condition the Previous Owner (herein known as the PO) kept the bike in, will play a large part in the enjoyment for you. Wings like to be ridden, high mileage is a good thing most of the time. Regular maint is a must to keep them happy. Personally, I like the "needs a little TLC" kind of wing as I am a tinkerer. My 1200 was neglected for 2yrs and needed some things done to get her road worthy. I stole it for the price I paid! She ran great and was in rather decent shape cosmetically. Low mileage for an 85 (I think it was 18k) so it was a seasonal rider but the PO had owned it since 1988. I had it for 2 1/4 years and put 18k on her.

Bought my '90 1500SE (her name is Pearl) in Feb '09. 70k miles on her with minor problems. As stated before, I like to tinker and enjoy getting toknow my bike.I now have almost 80k on her and she runs great. She is a daily rider.

So I would say buy what your budget/mechanical skills allow and one that you don't feel cramped when riding. If you plan on 2up riding, I suggest a 1200 or 1500 (lean more toward the 1500 now that I have one).

On a side note, I told the wife...."One day, I will be able to afford a Wing I DON'T have to work on". She replied..."Yeah right, you will have it toreapart within the first week!"

I do believe sheknows me pretty well!

OH...I forgot to add "Welcome To The World's Best Goldwing Forum!!"

Also I am sure there is a member close toyou that canhelp you out when you findone your interested in.

Snorebaby (Doug) and Snorebabe (Michele)
'15 GL1800 Scarlett

'90 GL 1500 SE Pearl
'86 CMX450 Rebel
'85 GL1200 LTD---SOLD
Patriot Guard Riders #137660

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I ain't drunk, but I have been drinkin'. (beenshot)

"Carrots & Pickles, Attorneys at Law" (Wingnumberone)
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 07:29 PM
Banned

Model: 1983 GL1100I
Send a message via Yahoo to schmidtap Send a message via Skype™ to schmidtap
Post imported post

I agree with Snorey, I have one of those neglected 1000's, a few on this forum will agree to that one. I love my 1000, but a few guys spoiled me by letting me ride a 1100 and 1200 (should've whined and cried for a 1500 ride). The one thing I do know is after riding one you will look like this for a while

And yes Snorebabe is correct, with in 2 hours of a new 1800 being parked under the carport, it would probably look like a Naked 1000. :
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 07:36 PM

Model: 2012
Post imported post

One thing you may want to consider is that it seems to be hard(or near impossible) to find a dealer that will work on one over ten years old. If you're mechanically inclined, maybe that's not so much a problem. If you don't get in a hurry, there are a lot of great 1500's to be had at great prices. If they've been properly taken care of, you'll probably never wear one out barring an accident.

Frank
2013 GL 1800 Silver
PGR
Darksider #638
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits.~Albert Einstein
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 07:45 PM

Post imported post

Welcome From Tennessee...

Whatever throws your hair back!
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page