Rolling through a curve today... - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Still a winger at heart.

Model: Sure wish I could ride...
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to UbarW
Post imported post

You see all sorts of surprises out there, eh?

Rolling through a twistie, posted 45, about three quarter the way through it, theres a guy cutting on a tree that fell across the road.

No flags, no flares, no signs. Just a truck on the road and lots of twigs.

I was doing that 45, and was able to see it in plenty of time, so not even a close call. But, its a good reminder that you can find just about ANY hazard out there...

See ya...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders-Id: 79170

Panel 16W - Line 33

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 05:10 PM

Year: 1994
Model: GL1500SE
Post imported post

its a good reminder that you can find just about ANY hazard out there...

So true. Monday I had a truck pulling a trailer pass me. There were a bunch of 55 gallon drums in the trailer not tied down. I decided to slow down and let him pull away, and sure enough, one of them flew out. Had plenty of time, but only because I slowed down.
Watch out for everything.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 05:21 PM
Senior Guru

Garage
Post imported post

Must get their brain patterns out of a Cracker Jacks box.

BOB

Knicknacks by Eric of Holland (former LTD rider)

80 Int., 85 Int., 85 LTD, 90/2000 1500, and now a 2006 Nav, Cabernet Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 10:35 PM

Model: 2007 Gl1800 HPN
Post imported post

Can't fault the guy who was removing the tree. Highly unlikely he put it there, just a good sam trying to clear storm damage. Joe homeowner rarely owns any flagging equipent so, as has been noted...keep one step ahead of the game.

Shiny Side Up !
Jim
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Senior Moment Member

Model: 2004 GL1800A
Post imported post

Having lived in rural areas of both Southern Oregon and Washington I've been in this situation. I've come across a freshly fallen tree that is blocking the road and common sense told me to put my truck at the start of the curve with the flashers on warning drivers there is a problem.

The danger isn't just to us motorcycle riders, its to anyone who isn't paying as much attention to the road as they should be. I'd also like some buffer space between me and someone coming around the curve while I clear away the tree enough for it not to be a hazard.

Henry

2004 GL1800A Dark Red
Yes that is ice on the fender!!!
Darksider # 902

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 12:51 AM

Model: 93 GL 1500 SE
Garage
Post imported post

Funny true story I read in Road Rider mag. years ago,I'll see if I can get it right. Two buddies summer time go to KFC
to get chicken for themselves and house guests on the guys MC an older bike with fairly flat seat no sissy bar.They buy
two buckets of chicken with BBQ sauce which is red in colour. The guy sits on the back one bucket under each arm.
The rider is always showing off and bragging about his quick bike.They lean into a corner he cracks the throttle
coming out of it the passenge slides off the back still holding the buckets of chicken rolls onto the boulavard and
lays on the grass moaning and groaning (just the wind knocked out of him)People run over to help him,see all the
pieces of chicken everywhere and the red BBQ sauce all over him,well it was'nt a pretty site,one women coughs up her cookies,and there's comments like"Oh the poor guy what a mess" just then he catches his breath and yells at his buddy you %&(^%$ Idiot you could have killed me.He got up walked over to the bike climbed on and they drove away leaving a bunch of stunned bystanders.

Did ya get a mental picture of that?

GRAY HAIRED RIDERS DON'T GET THAT WAY BY LUCK
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Still a winger at heart.

Model: Sure wish I could ride...
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to UbarW
Post imported post

MichiganWing wrote:
Quote:
Can't fault the guy who was removing the tree. Highly unlikely he put it there, just a good sam trying to clear storm damage. Joe homeowner rarely owns any flagging equipent so, as has been noted...keep one step ahead of the game.
No, I wasnt faulting this guy. He was trying to clean up the tree after it fell due to heavy rains.

I only caution about being prepared...

Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders-Id: 79170

Panel 16W - Line 33

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 08:25 AM

Post imported post

Had a similar situation last Nov riding with my group, I was 2nd bike in the series. Going through some twisties between here and NW Arkansas we pull around this sharp switchback, only to find a cow in the road, and two others off to the side.

It was about a 25mph curve, but the 1st bike, being an 1800 loved to show the bikes capability in the twisties and lay that thing over pretty good, probably doing as much as 40mph rounding the corner. He spotted the cow in the middle of the road and (fortunately no one was comming from the other direction) was able to correct into oncomming lane around the thing and crossed the bridge just ahead.

I saw what happened, and noticed that the cow in the middle of the road was turning to cross the road to the oposite side. Also fortunately, I grew up around cows and know that where one goes, especially when spooked, all the others will follow, even at there own peril. So I shut it down hard. Sure enough the other two cows follow right behind, right into the road.

I ended up following the cows across the bridge as there was nowhere for them to go on either side of the road, and I wasn't going to pass them in that spooked state until I had a good clear run at it. (Those big things can turn and run alot faster than you think.)

Let me say, this is one of those times I was glad to be riding with a very responsible group. Staggered, with plenty of distance between bikes for emergencies.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 09:12 AM

Model: GL-1500
Post imported post

You can never predict what is coming around the next curve, especially when its a blind curve....One of my buddies found this out the almost hard way....Got on his brand new then 1981 Gold Wing, took off to go visit with another friend, came around this sharp curve, and yup there stood bossy!!!!!and a bunch of her fellow bossies in his lane, cow manure all over the road...Bill sees that he has no place to go, there's a pickup truck in the on coming lane, Bill slams on the brakes, Wing hits all this cow manure, no where to go but right straight into to Bossy's Back side, not to far to the left nor too far to the right, but right smack in the middle........Wing and him separate company, both wind up in the ditch....Bossy????and her buddies???? Well she limps away like a scalded cat, right into the ditch where Bill and his wing are....Now Bill is trying to escape getting being ran over by several cows....

Long story short....Bill is not hurt bad, just some bumps and bruises, the Wing is busted up, bent front forks, fairing in several pieces, saddle bags, light bars torn off, etc....The guy in the pickup stops in the ditch on the other side of the road, helps Bill up, and calls the police....Bill was taken to a local hospital to be checked out.....Cows are rounded up my their owner and Bills Wing hauled to the Dealer, who after hearing how it happened, fixed Bill's Wing at no charge....Bill was wearing full leather gear, helmet, boots, and gloves.....In our learn to ride classes his wife was the instructor, we showed these students Bills leathers and how they saved him from having miles of "road rash"....It was hard to stand up in front of these new to be riders with a straight face and explain how these leathers got beat up so bad.....

I hate blind curves.....

Claude......

THE NATION WHICH FORGETS ITS DEFENDERS WILL ITSELF BE FORGOTTEN

1982 GL-1100 Goldwing Interstate...Black Beauty
1994 GL-1500 Goldwing Aspencade...401K....

Honorary member Wild Rhinos

I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page