"Juice" everywhere...... - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Forum Diplomat

Post imported post

I'm gonna power my tankbag to recharge my Netbook, Iphone, whatever, while out on the road, and run another hookup for our two electric vests using RV SAE roof connectors... probably won't have any juice left to recharge our poor vehicle battery! The ST1300 grinds out 740 Watts: not great, but not bad, either.... just have to be careful, I will. Unhook all else when running the vests....

First name: Mel (Red\'s: Sandy)

"It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to." (Bilbo Baggins)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 11:14 AM

Post imported post

A good touring bike would have sufficient power to handle all your electrical needs!

Bernie

GL1500 Valkyrie
Work for tomorrow, live for today.
Live life like you mean it!
American Legion Member
Patriot Guard Rider Member
Vietnam Veteran 68/69
MSF Instructor
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Forum Diplomat

Post imported post

Dubswing wrote:
Quote:
A good touring bike would have sufficient power to handle all your electrical needs!

¬*

Bernie
Oh yeah..... on page 139 of my "Motorcycle Electrical Systems, Troubleshooting and Repair" manual, they have a listing of the Watts generated by popular bikes.... and I quote:

Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 -- 588 Watts!

Let's see, 740 - 588 is what? 152!!!!!! You can barely get a cigarette lighter warm with your anemic output!

"It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to." (Bilbo Baggins)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 01:50 PM

Model: 93 GL 1500 SE
Garage
Post imported post

Being an outdoorsman it seems charging and powering things away from home is part of the game these days.Inverters,I have 3 or 4 of them different sizes depending of whats being powered and by what source.Solar power, 2 big ones for
the 5th. wheel, a couple of small portable ones for VHF radios,GPS and to charge a small portable 12v portable battery power point.With todays technology it makes it so much easier traveling light and yet taking along some of the
electronics we like.My wifes netbook is more powerfull than my laptop I bought 2 years ago an has 3 times the battery life with more functions, go figure. There's even a flexible solar panel that will strap to your backpack and power any 12v device that is low amp draw.

I'm a Ham radio operator so always tinkering with electronics and tunning something for maximum smoke.

GRAY HAIRED RIDERS DON'T GET THAT WAY BY LUCK
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 01:59 PM

Post imported post

I'm ok till I flip on the Foreman then the lights dim and I smell smoke

cagers on cell phones scare me
I owe my life to a Stebel Nautilus
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 02:07 PM

Post imported post

Mel, My bike is a cruiser not a tourer! But even at 588 watts it will operate all my lights including the two 30 watt driving lights I added, my heated jacket, gloves and socks! So that means your bike should be good to go as well. I can have my dual stators rewound and get more "juice" if I ever need it! I also have a power recpticle installed on my faring for GPS, Radar detector Etc. Have you decided on what you are going to do for a bike in Europe yet?

Bernie

GL1500 Valkyrie
Work for tomorrow, live for today.
Live life like you mean it!
American Legion Member
Patriot Guard Rider Member
Vietnam Veteran 68/69
MSF Instructor
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 02:18 PM
Just another ORF!

Model: 92 1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

Hey CJ ... they look like a nifty hook-up.

I use a co-axial one for my heated gear ... but .... I carry a 1 w Solar panel that hooks up with the older style SAE connector, that I use for my Batery Tender. My main use for it(Solar Panel)is when I'm running mysound systemat camp, it helps to maintain/charge the battery.

If you wire one of those connectors directly to your battery,you can borrow that if need be, to help replenish some 'juice', at camp.While it only pumps out 1 w, it does so in either full sun, or in total overcast conditions. Some charge is better than none.

Dusty

1992 1500 Aspencade - 213,178 showing on the clock

- just another Rider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"anyone can go fast on a straightaway" - Dusty Boots

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Forum Diplomat

Post imported post

Nahhh.... not yet, Bernie. Wexy told me not to do anything until he figured out the insurance. But I think the best way for me is to send over a cheap, but well-running, bike... something like a Nighthawk 750 or a Suzuki Bandit. And then buy "green card" insurance for liability only. I might have enough in the Kitty for two more trips to Europe: if I do have enough for two trips, I'd like to store the bike there one winter, and return, ride it, and sell it..... all on my American license plate! It's legal in some places in Europe... Thune, Switzerland for one..... we'll see.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 10:19 PM

Model: 1985 i
Post imported post

CJ 740 watts=52.8 amps that will run all your stuff and keep battery charged, go for it!

I want ride Tire Joe
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 10:38 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Greeper
Post imported post

If y'all find a need for a small inverter, PM me. I work for the premier inverter manufacturer in NA and I have dozens of these 100W flat inverters that have a 120VAC outlet and a USB port for your cell phone or iPod. I sell 'em on ebay for $13. Used, but still working (most of them are stock rotations so they're still unused) they're great for charging in the trunk between stops.

advertisement ends here...

\'89 GL1500 with paint-matched Neosho trailer.
\'10 Aspen Classic

My goal is to live forever...so far, so good!
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page