Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 08:38 AM

Model: 1988 GL1500
Garage
Post imported post

chas.weaver wrote:
Quote:
Drop my bike? No, I do however check the undersidefor rust every now and then using my quick dismount method. The one thing that helped me was when a friend said to never, never, never use the front brake in a very slow turn and always have thefront wheelstraight when coming to a stop.
I agree, (TRY to never use the front brake) If you use the front brake be sure the handlebars are staight, practice in parking lots & I bring my foot/feet down as I slow to a stop. Always watch where you put your foot down, paint, oil, water, sand, all will make your foot slip!! And wear shoes/boots with a good rubber sole for grip.

1988 GL1500
I'd rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 10:37 AM

Post imported post

I did the same thing when I was new to my wing, the secret is to keep you eyes up and straight forward until AFTER the bike has come to a full and complete stop, never look to the side, or down, at the last second or the bike will immediately tip that way. On a smaller bike it is no big deal to hold it up after it starts to tip, but not so with a bike as big as a wing.

When stopping especially on a corner or turning in a parking lot ect. you must always first straighten the bike and pick a focus point ahead of you before applying the brakes.
With practice you will become more stable on the wing than any other bike you have ridden, but it is more unforgiving of poor skills at low speeds.

Now after 7 years of practice I can ride my bike at less than 1 mile per hour, come to a full 1-2 second stop without using my feet, and can turn her on a dime, and stop in the bikes length at speeds up to 25 mph, but still I need to keep practicing as I know folks who are much much more skilled that I am.

PS. Yes I do still drop my bike on occasion, always in parking lot practice though as that is where I am pushing my limits, don't worry about it though as that is exactly what the engine and saddle box guards are for.

Once the bike starts to go beyond a few degrees just let her go, don't get caught beneath her, besides it's just practice on how to correctly pick up a bike right?

'RIDE TO BE SEEN'

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist is?

"I never saw him".
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks to all that took time to reply to my problem good advice there which I will put into practice. I thought it was only me that had droped the wing so don't feel so stupid now thanks again.

Brian.....

banjo biker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 08:44 AM
kai

Post imported post

I would say to anyone dropping your bike is a sure indicator that your skill set needs to be upgraded. I would also recommend to anyone that is riding any type of motorcycle to take the following course:

msumotorcycletraining

Doug and Norm and the rest of the guys are tough, fair, and encouraging! The skills that you learn will be the ones that make among the best riders on the road. You will drop the Harley Road King so many times on that course that you will never drop another motorcycle.

PS. If you can't make it to Michigan, at least purchase Ride Like A Pro and really practice the exercises.

STATES VISITED BY MOTORCYCLE:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 09:16 AM

Model: 88 GL 1500
Post imported post

I would [suB][/suB]truly hate to embarrass myself in public. I have dropped my bike twice in the garage and once off my trailer.

If you are tall and have a long inseam (long legs) I think one would have a much better advantage.

I do not know what ya'll can do with an 1800. 1500s can have a less taller seat, let the air out of the shocks, and I think some have attempted to even cut and lower shock.

Texas _Foosman
1988 GL1500
post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 12:11 PM

Post imported post

Regarding advice , watch some of the " ride like a pro " vids on youtube . Im not a new rider but i did learn some things watching them vids .

I dropped my wing the very first ride on it . That was enough for me , time to learn something new .

My # 1 errror was coming to a stop with out the front wheel being straight , makes a huge difference . You dont mention if you are tall or short . Us short guys seem to have a little more issue i think but iv learned to compensate .

Learning to do the tight turns as they show on the vids was a big help also . Just the other day i took a ride with a couple guys from this board . We missed a turn on a narrow 2 lane paved . It was nice to just wheel the wing around and not do a 3 point turn .

I found out after some practice my road is only 22 ' wide , the vids were using 24' . I was pretty pleased with my self when i realized i was U turning on a rather narrow street .

Its all practice as the guys have said but those vids offer some darn good tips .

Iv dropped my wing once so far . How long will my luck hold out
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 12:13 PM

Post imported post

I forgot this one , i recently was pointed to a thread here that showed a guy cutting some of the bottom out of the seat , pull the seat and cut away some of the pan underneath , it helped by sitting me a bit lower . Thats on a older 1200 wing .
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 01:14 PM

Post imported post

Feel free to feel stupid if you wish - but not cuz you dropped the wing.

My only drop in 4 years of Wingership was when I went outside to move it - and I'd had a little too much wine. No - I wasn't trying to ride it, just move it. It went down on the engine guards. Fortunately I had no audience.

Yep - I'm owning up to an alcohol-related accident, and I wasn't on a Harley.

I is the most stupidest one that's posted here so far.

My name is Rusty. I'm an enthusiast of things that ride, drive and fly.

IBA: 63413
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Yes i am only small five feet seven, 170 cm tall, can manage to get my legs on the floor ok, the first time the wing dropped was when a person walked in front of me out of a petrol station without looking i was on a turn so maybe not my fault.
Second time at a roundabout had wife on and waiting to turn left with front wheel pointing left a little the bike just tipped left might have been the wife as it was only the second time we had been on the bike together shes not used to all that room compared to a v-rod third time was reversing it out of my drive but don't know why this happened.

Regards KAIs post I know we bikers never stop leaning and can never take things for granted, or never presume we are too good to learn new things. BUT CANNOT UNDER STAND HOW DROPPING A ROAD KING MANY TIMES WILL MAKE ME A BETTER RIDER THAT WOULD PUT ME OFF BIKING AND MAKE ME LOSE CONFIDENCE. ALSO YOU SAY MY SKILL SET NEEDS UPGRADING DOES THAT REFER TO EVERYONE WHO REPLIED TO MY POST AND WHO HAVE ALSO DROPPED THEIR BIKES. IF YOU SAID THE BIKE WAS TOO HEAVY FOR ME I MIGHT AGREE THE WING IS MY FIRST AND IT HAS TAKEN LONGER TO GET USED TO IT THAN ANY OTHER BIKE IVE HAD AND THAT IS A LOT. I HAVE BEEN RIDING FOR OVER FIFTY YEARS AND HAVE ONLY COME OFF ONCE ON ICE WHEN I WAS TWENTY YEARS OLD.

Brian

banjo biker
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 02:49 PM

Model: 2012
Post imported post

brian Yarker wrote:
Quote:
Regards KAIs post I know we bikers never stop leaning and can never take things for granted, or never presume we are too good to learn new things. BUT CANNOT UNDER STAND HOW DROPPING A ROAD KING MANY TIMES WILL MAKE ME A BETTER RIDER THAT WOULD PUT ME OFF BIKING AND MAKE ME LOSE CONFIDENCE. ALSO YOU SAY MY SKILL SET NEEDS UPGRADING DOES THAT REFER TO EVERYONE WHO REPLIED TO MY POST AND WHO HAVE ALSO DROPPED THEIR BIKES. IF YOU SAID THE BIKE WAS TOO HEAVY FOR ME I MIGHT AGREE THE WING IS MY FIRST AND IT HAS TAKEN LONGER TO GET USED TO IT THAN ANY OTHER BIKE IVE HAD AND THAT IS A LOT. I HAVE BEEN RIDING FOR OVER FIFTY YEARS AND HAVE ONLY COME OFF ONCE ON ICE WHEN I WAS TWENTY YEARS OLD.

Brian
I am with you on this

I spent most of my money on bikes & booze
and the rest of it I just wasted.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page