Riding help and advice needed - Page 4 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 02:55 PM

Post imported post

" MY SKILL SET NEEDS UPGRADING DOES THAT REFER TO EVERYONE WHO REPLIED TO MY POST "

Well , actually the answer to that portion is yes . We all need to improve as best as we can when we get a different bike .

Yes im a sarcastic old fart

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 03:05 PM

Post imported post

Nothing helps like good parking-lot time. If you can find one with no concrete parking curbs, makes a great practice court.

Instead of cones, buy a dozen or so tennis balls and cut them in half.

Try to set up a 30 or 40-foot diameter circle.

Practice practice practice.

Don't forget - for the tightest U-turns, counter-leaning your body is extremely effective. Don't believe me? Try it out!!

My name is Rusty. I'm an enthusiast of things that ride, drive and fly.

IBA: 63413
post #33 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 03:17 PM

Post imported post

brian Yarker wrote:
Quote:
Well I hate to admit this on here but I keep dropping the wing. Being new to my first wing I have dropped it for the third time, each time I was virtually stationary..... I know it is a heavy bike...... guess it must be my age. Any advice welcome.

Your are asking for advice so don't get indignant on us here......

You are probably dealing with several factors that are potentiall harmful to your performance.

Age, yes may be a factor in that your reflexes may be slowing (age not given).

1000lb bike is HEAVY and you (I at least) can NOT manhandle it. Anything you want to do with the bike has to be done through use of the motor, brakes, or GRAVITY.

New to you bike.... GO BACK TO THE BASICS as you have probably developed poor riding habits with your old bike that are now costing you dearly. Do to the shear size of this style of bike it is unforgiving as your spouse will become if you keep dropping her.

So, advice .... GO BACK TO THE BASICS.... such as but not limited to:

Don't turn your wheel until you start to go. Looking where you want to go, planting your foot (feet) and NO DUCK WALKING. Notice where you are and where you are planning on putting your feet (is there sand, water, oil, surface depression, grass, painted lines, etc.) Stop talking or screwing around, fiddling with all the gadgets, looking everywhere but whereyou need towhen stopping / starting. Make the passenger realize that YOU NEED TO BE COMPLETELY FOCUSED AT THIS TIME. Be very aware of your surroundings at all times so that you are not surprised by pedestrians, cars, trucks, trains, plains flying over head, etc.

This may seem as though I am pointing out the obvious but honestly, a concerted effort every time you go out will reduce your mishaps.

Good luck.

2008 GL1800B (Airbag)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 03:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to AQUAMAN
Post imported post

If you have access to GWRAA association, they have what is called parking lot practice (PLP) which sims the goldwing motorcycle course. Lots of slow speed practice and tips, I have attended three and always pickup something new. What really makes em fun wet surface riding skills, I attended a police motorcycle skills course in southern florida a few years back where they had sprinklers all over the course, oh what fun. They were all on PC800's. Training is everywhere for all skill levels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CUT IT TWICE AND ITS STILL TO SHORT!!!

Previous rides:Royal Enfield 250, Hodoka 90, Yamaha 80,160,QT50, Norton 250, BSA 500, Kawasaki 450ltd, Susuki 125, Vespa, Hondas CT90/110, C70, Twinstar, cb400F, 3-CM400A\'s, CM400C, CB650C, 7-CB900c\'s. Not counting all the off brand and home built mini bikes and mopeds.
post #35 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

TO Lil Pete,

Please tell me why you think I'm getting angry - I don't see that what I have said is angry, the only thing I have said is that I don't agree with dropping a Road King so many times that it will solve the problem of me dropping the Wing, and I don't think the owners of the Road King would be too happy either, all I have asked for is advice and I have been given lots of advice and am putting this to practice, I have done many courses here in the UK to advanced level of biking, like I said you never stop learning and I probably know what the problem is , that being the weight of the wing. You also hit on the idea of age being a factor but you said that I have not said my age but this is posted on my profile being 61 years of age. I do not wish to offend but was just asking for some advice which is what I thought these forums were all about.

Brian

banjo biker
post #36 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 04:22 PM

Post imported post

I think it's that ALL CAPS is seen as a raised voice over the internet. In which case you gave us a complete "wall" of ALL CAPS in your prior post.

Yes, I have to admit I read it and you appeared testy to me as well.

post #37 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

To rgbeard,
Sorry but it was not my intention for my reply to be perceived as being angry putting Caps in my post it was just meant to emphasise that point, may be its the UK way of doing something. Also do I take it that Lil Pete was angry when he put caps in his post 'GO BACK TO BASICS' - but I will tell you when I am angry by saying so, what I am angry about is your post 'pirates fall down' I did not think it was funny watching harley riders falling off their bikes for whatever reason - I was a Harley rider before becoming a Goldwing owner and I show all other riders, no matter what bike they ride, respect - I bet you would not have put that post on if they were Goldwing riders. This is the last post I am going to write on this subject as I feel as though it has been given enough time and space - it just seems to be getting a little heated and I do not want to fall into that trap.

Brian

banjo biker
post #38 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 05:44 PM

Post imported post

Yup - I make fun of Pirates and they make fun of Wingers and Sportbikers.

It's been that way a long long long time. Nothing serious - I have plenty of pirate friends and am happy to talk motorcycles with them.

post #39 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 10:16 PM

Post imported post

brian Yarker wrote:
Quote:
TO Lil Pete,

Please tell me why you think I'm getting angry -

I didn't think that you are angry ..... It was another way of saying you might not like what you are about to read but, you did ask ......

NO HARM ... NO Faul .....

Caps for me is just like bold face .. just another way to emphasize ....

again good luck with the new ride ....

2008 GL1800B (Airbag)
post #40 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 11:56 PM

Year: 1999
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

i dont know what to tell you but just keep the bike in balance, if you lean it it will get 2 heavy to keep upright, tell your passenger to remain steady no matter what happens and to let you do the balancing work.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page