Riding help and advice needed - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Well I hate to admit this on here but I keep dropping the wing. Being new to my first wing I have dropped it for the third time, each time I was virtually stationary - once when coming out of a petrol station and someone walked in front of me just as I was turning and the bike dropped, the second time I was stationary at a roundabout with a pillion rider the bike just seemed to fall and the third just starting off and the engine died, each time no harm done or no sign of any marks on the bike. I know it is a heavy bike, my last bike was a V-rod which I thought was a heavy bike but I never dropped that. Everything is fine when moving but just hate stopping and starting now, guess it must be my age. Any advice welcome.

Thanks

Brian

banjo biker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 06:14 PM

Post imported post

You won't be the first or last to drop a Wing Brian. I'm not ashamed to admit I have dropped mine in similar circumstances. That was before I started taking some tips from my riding friends and following them in slow turns, learning to balance at slow speeds.
It will come to you in time, practice will bring confidence in your own ability.

Kevin.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 06:28 PM

Post imported post

Yep, same here the 1500 and 1800 seem to be extra top heavy and require much more attention at low speed and stopped. My 1500 likes to lean left when I lean right and visa versa! Just amazes me and since I'm short I get those darn muscle spasms

cagers on cell phones scare me
I owe my life to a Stebel Nautilus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 06:30 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

Brian,

I have never, ever, dropped my wing. At least not since this morning.

Do not get overly concerned about what seems to you, to be an unwieldy beast. You will get used to it, and with practice you will learn to keep the darn thing almost vertical every time you get it below 5 mph. IF you do allow it to get past about 3 inches off vertical at a near zero speed, it is down, and there is nothing you can do to stop it.

I use every single stop as practice to improve my skill at keeping it balanced. I purposely watch to keep myself behind all vehicles in traffic far enough back that I can come to a stop about 3 car lengths behind them. Even more if it is possible. Then, instead of stopping, I get it as slow as possible and just creep forward, ever so slow. So slow it seems that the bike has stopped, but it hasn’t, it is still creeping forward.

What I am doing is holding a slight pressure on the front brake handle, holding the engine rpm up a few 100 RPMs over idle, and I have the clutch in the very light friction zone. If you hold the front brake on, have both feet wide spread and ready to drop off the pegs, you are balanced. And while you are balanced, do not wiggle the handlebars. Practice every single time you come to a stop.

Go to a large shopping mall when it is not busy. Do figure 8s around all of those yellow stripes. Pretend they are cones. Do it over and over and over, for as long as you can keep doing it.

For me, every single time I get on my bike, it is a practice lap. And you must practice each time you get on the Wing. I do it, most everyone I know who has a Wing, does it.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 06:37 PM

Post imported post

Takes time for a rider new to a big bike to get the feel of its balance. Once you do you will be making one foot stops as routine.

To begin with use the two foot down method. When you come to a stop , stop more quickly, and get your feet down.

You could wrap the crash guards and just spend a couple hours for about a week. Take two hours a day for a week and find an empty parking lot and just practice stop, start, u turns and that kind of thing.

Really want some confidence? Learn to put the 1800 in second gear and never touch the throttle, do not worry it will not die, now make as sharp a U turn as you can, start slow , then about the third day, start shifting your weight to the outside of the turn and push the bike down, let it go. This will teach you balance and give you confidence in slow turns and help in many ways.

Practice with the bike. Best to practice out of sight, out of mind, rather than drop it at the intersection.

They are big, they are heavy, but also very balanced once you get used to them. Just takes a bit of time.

Kit

The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 06:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to phatty of 2
Post imported post

drop the wing never i have some water front property in AZ. for sale to did it several times the first time i rode it in the parking lot at work, all it takes is time and some practice

Rick

post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 07:41 PM

Post imported post

Last summer was my first on a Wing,(or any street bike really) and in 11000 miles (17,702.784km lol!)I have experienced a "few" Goldwing lifting exercises! I learned not to wear shoes with laces, I always make sure the side stand is down before I start to get off bike and I practice, practice, practice!! My Lady is always on the back of the bike when I ride and I too try to creep up on the stop lights, going as slow as possible while keeping the bike straight (and upright!) I have done the parking lot practice with Carol Ann on the back and it really does inspire confidence. In both of us..Keep up the slow speed maneuvers and keep your helmet on!
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 07:44 PM

Year: 2008
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800
Post imported post

Drop my bike? No, I do however check the undersidefor rust every now and then using my quick dismount method. The one thing that helped me was when a friend said to never, never, never use the front brake in a very slow turn and always have thefront wheelstraight when coming to a stop.

Charlie
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 08:25 PM

Model: 2012
Post imported post

brian Yarker wrote:
Quote:
Well I hate to admit this on here but I keep dropping the wing. Being new to my first wing I have dropped it for the third time, each time I was virtually stationary - once when coming out of a petrol station and someone walked in front of me just as I was turning and the bike dropped, the second time I was stationary at a roundabout with a pillion rider the bike just seemed to fall and the third just starting off and the engine died, each time no harm done or no sign of any marks on the bike. I know it is a heavy bike, my last bike was a V-rod which I thought was a heavy bike but I never dropped that. Everything is fine when moving but just hate stopping and starting now, guess it must be my age. Any advice welcome.

Thanks

Brian

Brian

I had the same problem until I installed a Kumho car tire on the rear wheel.

Now the slow speed is WAY more stable at least on reasonably smooth surfaces.

Can now (most of the time) glide up to a one foot stop, no way could I do this with the stock rear tire.

Paul

I spent most of my money on bikes & booze
and the rest of it I just wasted.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 08:33 PM

Model: 2003 GL1800A
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Halfling
Post imported post

Well Brain, I must say "thank you" for starting this thread. I too am new to the Goldwing and although I have yet to put the first mile on it, I am sure I'll be having more than my fair share of "rest stops". I'll be taking the two day course this very weekend and I am in hopes that it will give me the confidence I need to practice, practice, practice. I have read each of the posts from the experienced riders and there appears to be a common theme, it happens to everyone. The moral support is greatly appreciated as well!

Keep in touch!

John

2003 GL1800A Candy Durango Red
US Navy (77-93) EWC(SW)
Darksider # 817 (195-55-R16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP @ 29.5 lbs)
Co-owner

"Seek out that particular mental attribute which makes you feel most deeply and vitally alive, along with which comes the inner voice which says, 'This is the real me,' and when you have found that attitude, follow it." - James Truslow Adams
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page