What did you do to your Wing today? - Page 539 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

587Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #5381 of 5497 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 09:11 PM

Year: 75,83I,86SEi,93A,94SE,03ABS
Model: 94SE 209000 miles
The single carb conversion is used on the 4 cylinder Wings. Cant say I ever heard of one on a 6. That said some folks are very happy with SCC and others say its not so great. Sorry I have no info to share on setting one up to run properly.

Mike
NASSIR 1
NASSIR 6
NASSIR 7
NASSIR 8
NASR 10 Good times!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5382 of 5497 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 09:14 PM

Year: 1975
Make: GL1000
Garage
My former Wing supplier quoted me a bill of 1200 bux. I laughed and walked away. I can do it myself.
It may take some dome scratching, but I'll figure it out.

Mount up Boys, Lets Ride!
post #5383 of 5497 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 11:29 PM

Year: 2006
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 A6
It`s not so much as "What I did " more a case of "what I`m trying to do".... Fit a Kuryakyn ISO grip to the throttle roller.
I`ve watched Steve Saunders video on You Tube and his slid on easily. Mine is around 2mm too small across the grip hole, and much too tight to just slide on.

Somebody suggested soaking the grip in hot water and applying hairspray to the roller. I did that but it still wouldn`t slide on.
The rubber just gets caught up and pushes out of the grip holes;

Steve Saunders says that if it`s too tight, trim the rubber with a long bladed knife. It`s a lot of rubber to remove, and you just know that I`m not going to get a clean cut all through.

Kuryakyn suggest that I trim the roller. It`s plastic ! That would weaken the roller and I can`t see that that is a safe option.

I`ve wondered about the possibility of reaming out the rubber, but am concerned about how it would react seeing as it`s actually 2 halves.

So what I did today, was to get very frustrated.

Ride Long and Prosper
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5384 of 5497 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 12:07 AM

Year: 1992
Model: Aspencade 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spock_gb View Post
It`s not so much as "What I did " more a case of "what I`m trying to do".... Fit a Kuryakyn ISO grip to the throttle roller.
I`ve watched Steve Saunders video on You Tube and his slid on easily. Mine is around 2mm too small across the grip hole, and much too tight to just slide on.

Somebody suggested soaking the grip in hot water and applying hairspray to the roller. I did that but it still wouldn`t slide on.
The rubber just gets caught up and pushes out of the grip holes;

Steve Saunders says that if it`s too tight, trim the rubber with a long bladed knife. It`s a lot of rubber to remove, and you just know that I`m not going to get a clean cut all through.

Kuryakyn suggest that I trim the roller. It`s plastic ! That would weaken the roller and I can`t see that that is a safe option.

I`ve wondered about the possibility of reaming out the rubber, but am concerned about how it would react seeing as it`s actually 2 halves.

So what I did today, was to get very frustrated.
It sounds like that grip is for the left side. Left side is 7/8" and right side is more like 1" with the throttle. With plain rubber grips they are usually both the same size and stretch to fit. Those with metal parts are often made as a left and a right as stretching metal is not as easy. Make sure that isn't the case with yours.

EDIT: I just checked the instructions and that set does have a left and right. Maybe you have them reversed or got two lefts by mistake.

If you do need to ream out the rubber, freeze it first and it will cut a lot better. I used to CNC machine rubber parts in a bath of liquid nitrogen so they would cut cleanly.
Another option is a small drum/spindle sander.
Jerry Burns and dwade like this.
post #5385 of 5497 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 01:18 PM

Cheers Rambozo (y) .. You may well have put me onto something.
The Right grip is definitely bigger than the left, just not big enough.

Your mention of a Drum/Spindle sander led me onto YouTube and I found this video .. "Homemade Sanding Spindles for the Drill-Press"
I`m unable to post the link because I`m a Newbie here, butI can certainly make one of those......

Freezing the rubber sounds good, but I would be concerned about the aluminium and the powder coating/ paint.... ( They are black ones )

I`ll let you know how I get on.

Ride Long and Prosper
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5386 of 5497 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 07:19 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spock_gb View Post
Cheers Rambozo (y) .. You may well have put me onto something.
The Right grip is definitely bigger than the left, just not big enough.

Your mention of a Drum/Spindle sander led me onto YouTube and I found this video .. "Homemade Sanding Spindles for the Drill-Press"
I`m unable to post the link because I`m a Newbie here, butI can certainly make one of those......

Freezing the rubber sounds good, but I would be concerned about the aluminium and the powder coating/ paint.... ( They are black ones )

I`ll let you know how I get on.

when you want to post a link like that, just do it manually like this:

www dot urURL dot com

and we can fix it and wallah! we can see it.

~ John

post #5387 of 5497 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 12:09 AM

... Apparently I need to make 10 posts first.... I suppose it stops the spammers.

This is number 4

Ride Long and Prosper
post #5388 of 5497 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 12:12 AM

Number 5..... I drilled through a piece of dowel... Added threaded bar and glued on some course sander paper.... Fits like a glove.
Will try tonight

Ride Long and Prosper
post #5389 of 5497 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 07:14 AM

Red face

Today I finally fitted Kuryakyn ISO grips to the 1800.

Making a long drum sander was the key. Drum sander was fitted in my pillar drill and I just moved the grip up and down until
I could tightly fit the grip over the Throttle roller.
I was given a tip to use Hair Spray as a lubricant because it sticky and I won`t need to use glue. Good job too as the glue supplied with the grips
had gone hard.
I will need to get some for the left grip, but they are both on together with the throttle boss and end weights.

I ditched the heat in the grips for style and comfort. I have also fitted HeliBars.

Now I just need some better weather to go for a ride.

Thanks for the Drum Sander tip
AZgl1800 and flylow like this.

Ride Long and Prosper
post #5390 of 5497 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 04:58 PM

Year: 1975
Make: GL1000
Garage
Today I was still waiting for parts. Polar Vortex has everyone stuck in their homes! (I hate winter)
One positive, my truck finally started after 3 days of sub zero temps. (Winds were in the 15 to 30 mph range). BRRRRRR!

Mount up Boys, Lets Ride!

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page