Windshields by F4 Customs - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Is anyone familiar with windshields by F4 Customs. I am planning to replace my current windshield and this is one of the brand names I am considering. They sound pretty amazing, but would like to hear from someone who actually has experience with one.

Thanks in advance.

-theolcountryboy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 08:01 PM

Model: 2008
Post imported post

I've had mine for a couple years now. What do you want to know?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I'm wondering if they are really as superior to other brands as claimedin regards to shedding water, having great visibilitie during rain, etc. Basically are they as good as the manufacturer says they are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 08:31 PM
Goldwing Addict :-)

Model: GL1500SE, GL1200A
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Jluvs2dive Send a message via MSN to Jluvs2dive Send a message via Yahoo to Jluvs2dive
Post imported post

I don't have one but figured when I'm due for a new windscreen it would likely be one of these. I saw the demo, that is also on the video on their home page, at Wing Ding in Billings Montana and they had the wiper with the steel woolrunning on the demo shield all day long. One half of the shield was standard lexan the other half has the F4 coating on it. The lexan side was so scratched you couldn't see through it, the F4 coated side was still clear as could be with no evidence of scratching.

John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bought with just under 9000 miles on 08/19/2008

also
84 Aspy
84 Interstate
past
86 GL1200 Aspy
84 Standard
87 Interstate
80 Yam Midnight Special 1100
79 Suz SP400 Enduro
72 Honda SL350
81 Honda XR500
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 08:39 PM

Post imported post

theolcountryboy wrote:
Quote:
I'm wondering if they are really as superior to other brands as claimedin regards to shedding water, having great visibilitie during rain, etc. Basically are they as good as the manufacturer says they are.
Well ... I don't know about the other brands (never used them). It is vastly superior to the OEM window. The water just flies off the thing. If you're going over 35 mph. The down side is, the water loops right over the edge and on to you and everything else. Does it shed water, absolutely. Does it help you stay dry, not even. You'll have just as much water on your face shield with or without the F4.

With that said....I use the Micro-Swirl Edging. This solves the looping over problem. the water just moves over to the sides and top and is channeled down the side ofhte window. This works well.

Then there is the vent. Water pours through this like a running faucet. The only thing I have found that works is, the Handyman's best Friend, duct tape. The coating on the F4 seems to be resistant to the glue on the duct tape. In that the residue left, after pealing the tape off, cleans right off.

It is a thicker window, this got rid of the buffeting I was getting with the OEM window.

This help any?

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 08:45 PM

Post imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
Quote:
I don't have one but figured when I'm due for a new windscreen it would likely be one of these. I saw the demo, that is also on the video on their home page, at Wing Ding in Billings Montana and they had the wiper with the steel woolrunning on the demo shield all day long. One half of the shield was standard lexan the other half has the F4 coating on it. The lexan side was so scratched you couldn't see through it, the F4 coated side was still clear as could be with no evidence of scratching.

John

It will scratch. For example grit will scratch it. If you were to wipe it down with a rag that you had dropped on the ground and got some grit on it, this will scratch the coating and the window. The steel wool thing is a marketing trick. I still think it is a good window. Just want to get this out so you know.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 08:59 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Jluvs2dive Send a message via MSN to Jluvs2dive Send a message via Yahoo to Jluvs2dive
Post imported post

ScooterTramp wrote:
Quote:
Jluvs2dive wrote:
Quote:

John

It will scratch. For example grit will scratch it. If you were to wipe it down with a rag that you had dropped on the ground and got some grit on it, this will scratch the coating and the window. The steel wool thing is a marketing trick. I still think it is a good window. Just want to get this out so you know.
Thanks. I didn't expect it was indestructable or totally scratch proof, just that it was considerably more durable than the stock or standard lexan screens.

also
84 Aspy
84 Interstate
past
86 GL1200 Aspy
84 Standard
87 Interstate
79 Suz SP400 Enduro
72 Honda SL350
81 Honda XR500
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 09:32 PM

Post imported post

One more thing .... If you like the adjustable part of the OEM window, you will not like the F4 (don't know about the 1500's, you'll have ask on this one). Because of its sturdier design, it will not go up and down. The lower corners are flush (more or less) with the dash. This is done to make the window stiffer. So they get in the way of any downward movement and the mounting holes do not allow for any adjustment either.

So size it carefully. I am 6'4" and the window hits me right just below the bridge of the nose. I can see, comfortably over the top of it. When I have the edging on, there is a half inch, directly in front of my eyes, that is blocked. When it rains, the water spreads outward and is channeled down the side of the window. This channel is, about, a half inch wide. This does obstruct my view, about an inch total. Even so, I can still look under or over this comfortably. this more annoying than anything else. I have gotten used to it and only use the edging when it rains (keep it in the trunk).

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks for your input. I have watched the video on the web site that John spoke about and that was what caught my attention. Also looking at the testimonials on the site people mention cleaning the windshield with ordinary window cleaner and paper towel. To your point that it does scratch, one of the testimonials says that the fellow doesn't use micro cloths as they pick up and retain dirt and sand so I guess that is one thing to look out for.

Regarding sizing, if I was any shorter I'd have to carry a stool to get on the bike (about 5' 3/4'') so unless I had one custom made, I will have to look through the windshield all the time. That is why the water shedding and visibility is so important to me. I know there are two schools of thought regarding looking through or over a windshield, but I've never had one I could look over. Maybe I should cut my existing one down and try it before ordering a new one. That way I would have an idea of which I preferred.

Thanks again for your comments.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 11:21 PM

Garage
Post imported post

theolcountryboy wrote:
Quote:
Maybe I should cut my existing one down and try it before ordering a new one. That way I would have an idea of which I preferred.
I would if it were me. I don't like looking through them at all personally. Do you ride with a passenger? If you do, cutting it down to where you can look over it may not work so well for your passenger.

John

also
84 Aspy
84 Interstate
past
86 GL1200 Aspy
84 Standard
87 Interstate
79 Suz SP400 Enduro
72 Honda SL350
81 Honda XR500
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page