Why not, Minot? Freezin's the reason...... (Camp tips?) - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Forum Diplomat

Post imported post

WE MADE THE PRAIRIES! Familiar ground this....riding all day under an uncertain sky, bucking a steady 1/4 headwind of 20-25 mph, which has been blowing since before the days of Crazy Horse and Sitting Bull! We'll be in Montana this time tomorrow, which would be just a skip, hop, and a jump from home....if it didn't take three days to get across Montana!

We're all camped up in Minot, with two cans of pre-cooked mac/cheese ready to go on the butane...yuk..... (Dusty Boots! I'm thinking of your spare ribs tonight, ol buddy......lol...!). I've been thinking of some things about motorcycle camping, things I've just learned, or relearned...feel free to contribute.

(1.) Always carry vinyl or latrile gloves to put on under your leather ones when it rains....this tip occurred to me as I was trying to scrub black dye off my hands!

(2.) Carry a big bag of beef jerky and assorted nuts somewhere on the bike for emergency rations when you make camp where there's no restaurant or store nearby. The stuff is filling and will get you through to morning...put the bag in a hard place to access, so's you don't eat it just for fun! This tip occurred to me as I lay in my sleeping bag one night....one hungry night!

Got any tips for us!

First name: Mel (Red\'s: Sandy)

"It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to." (Bilbo Baggins)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 06:44 PM

Post imported post

I feel like giving a tip to you would be like hauling snow to Alaska. You guys are making good time. Enjoy.

Hawker22(Ken)
Per Ardua Ad Astra
1997 GL1500SE--White Cloud
2001 GL1800----Blue Yonder
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 07:12 PM

Model: 1984 GL1200 Standard & 1987 GL1200 Interstate
Garage
Post imported post

I learned the beef jerky rule a few years ago and live by it today. Golf bag, tackle box, glove compartment in the cage (if I can keep it from my son), etc.
My tip for you: enjoy the ride!

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 07:43 PM

Year: 1999, 1975
Model: GL1500SE GL1000
Post imported post

Hey Cuz, we just camped at Minot not 2 weeks ago at the "Roughriders campground" Nice place 'til the trains started. Horns all night long. I like trains ....... but began to reconsider.

Terry

Don't own a Vanagon.
Don't work at Boeing.
Life is good.

1970 CB750
1975 GL1000
1999 GL1500 SE
2002 VT750
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 08:42 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

I am a firm believer in the Beef Jerky rule for any long road trip, m/c or cage. Don't matter, it stretches out the stopping points when necessary, or makes that sudden "over night stop right here!" much easier to deal with.

I have spent many a night in a rest area sleeping in the car to get six winks.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 07:44 AM

Year: 1987
Make: honda
Model: gl1200a
Post imported post

think MRE's. there sealed, keep along time, very filling, and most come with the water powered heater might make a good stash meal for you.

Brian Chaffee
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 11:14 AM
Senior Moment Member

Model: 2004 GL1800A
Post imported post

I always take along some plastic garbage bags of several sizes. Great for putting on over your socks to keep your feet dry. Put your dirty clothes in then set on them to crush out all of the air so they fit in tiny places. Make temporary rain jackets and bag covers etc.

Write down all of your emergency information, medications you are taking, alergies, blood type etc. Keep a copy on you and a copy in the bike.

Henry

2004 GL1800A Dark Red
Yes that is ice on the fender!!!
Darksider # 902

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 11:42 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to winginitrick
Post imported post

cuz, giving you tips on camping would be like bringing a hot dog to a banquet! be like whats the use, anything we say, you either allready know or have forgotten!!!! hey you two be careful, and remember to keep the rubber side down, and the chrome side up!!!hollerin atcha!!!! keep on rick

ALWAYS LET YOUR BACK DOOR MAN KNOW WHEN YOUR FRONT DOOR MAN IS COMMING HOME. RICKS WISDOM: GRAB LIFE BY THE THROTTLE AND DONT LOOK BACK.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 12:16 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

tlbranth wrote:
Quote:
Hey Cuz, we just camped at Minot not 2 weeks ago at the "Roughriders campground" Nice place 'til the trains started. Horns all night long. I like trains ....... but began to reconsider.
The woman who hangs around here and I discovered the "train law" years ago and it seems to be true. If there's a campground, there will be trains heard. Apparently it's illegal, especially for commercial campgrounds to build in a location free of train horns.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 02:16 PM

Year: 1999, 1975
Model: GL1500SE GL1000
Post imported post

exavid wrote:
Quote:
tlbranth wrote:
Quote:
The woman who hangs around here and I discovered the "train law" years ago and it seems to be true. If there's a campground, there will be trains heard. Apparently it's illegal, especially for commercial campgrounds to build in a location free of train horns.
Seems like it. We came 'cross country on US2 from Superior, Wisconsin to Monroe, Washington and I swear the same track followed us most of the way. We had horns from trains on the same track several nights in a row. We expected that when we got home a crew would be laying track up my driveway.

Terry

Don't own a Vanagon.
Don't work at Boeing.
Life is good.

1970 CB750
1975 GL1000
1999 GL1500 SE
2002 VT750
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page