How long to high idle before removing choke? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
flw

Post imported post

I just got my 98 GW and started it cold last night.It took longer than expected to warm up (not needing any choke).

I'm comparing to my '07 Kawasaki Vulcan which takes about 2 min for a no choke idle.

I'm also used to being able to ride the bike after oil is well circulated but with some choke being used. Seems my GW just wants to die rather than roll unless full warmed up. Is this a general issue for 1500 GW's or possible need for a tune up?

I have not been able to get a appt with my mechanic (he booked) to go over the bike and see what needs it has now.

Thanks Dan

1998 Honda Goldwing SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Heaven at last
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 12:26 PM

Year: 2014
Model: GL1800 Airbag
Garage
Post imported post

I set my choke so the bike runs at around 1500 rpm. As soon as I see the temp gauge start to move I take the choke off and the bike runs fine. It depends on the outside temp.but it usually takes a few minutes for the temp gauge to start moving. I've had two 1500's now and they both were like that. They seem to be a bit cold blooded.

Bob Smith
NASSIR 4 Pictures
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wild Rhinos - Ontario Chapter

2014 GL1800 Airbag
2007 V Star 1300 (Hers)
2000 Shadow A.C.E. Deluxe 750 (Sons)
Previously owned: 1985 GL1200 A - (2X)2000 GL1500A

If you don't stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

Yep, mine was too. It wanted to keep some choke until the needle on the temp gauge needle came up an 1/8" inch or so. I was in a hurry once to go to a store before they closed, backed my 1500 out of the garage, turned 90 degrees as I backed out the garage door and then put it in gear turned 90 degrees toward the road and promptly fell over on the left side pining my foot under the bike. Luckily it fell over onto the lawn so my foot didn't get crushed against the concrete driveway but against soft grass and dirt. I did have to lay there blasting away with the air horn to get someone to help get me loose. The woman who hangs around here finally heard me and got my boot off so I could slip my leg out from under the bike. The reason for the incident was because I was in a hurry and didn't sufficiently warm up the bike. When I let out the clutch starting out in a turn the engine just quit and the bike naturally laid over since it was already in a lean. The moral of the story is always warm up a 1500 before riding and carry a bit of choke until the engine will idle and accelerate dependably without it. The 1500 seemed to be more cold blooded than my 1100s. My 1200SEI never had a problem that way due to its EFI. My Silverwing scooter doesn't need a warm up either since it's also fuel injected as is my new to me 1800. I can jump on the 1800 fire it up and take off immediately. Never balks or hesitates just like the SEI and the SW did. Nice stuff that EFI.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Anti-Guru

Model: '06 GL1800
Post imported post

FWIW, the 89 oowner's manual says 30-seconds...
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 07:08 PM

Post imported post

All Honda's seem to be a little cold blooded. AAll that I have owned anyway. My 1500 is a 1997, and if I am riding her daily I don't need the choke (In the warm temps anyway). If I don't ride for 2 or 3 days I need to choke it for about 1-2 minutes. I know as the weather cools it will take longer. I think the PO said 3 or 4 minutes.

Current bikes
1997 1500 Aspencade
1974 Honda CT 70 Trail bike (3,000 miles). My 1st

Past bikes
1977 Honda XL 125
1982 1100 Aspencade (Grey/Silver/Gold)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 07:37 PM

Model: 2 1987 gl1200 aspencades
Post imported post

Don't have a 1500, but both my 1200's need to warm up for one or two bars on the temp guage. I would guess that to be around two or three minutes, depends on the outside temperature.

05 Red GL1800 with 21,000 miles, '87 Red Aspencade with 61,0000 miles. 1997 Green and Cream Valkyrie Tourer with 31,000 miles. All Honda's !
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

Both my previous '94 gl1500 and my current '98 gl1500 perform adequately for me in the short time it takes to put my jacket and helmet on.

then it is back out of garage, get straight with the road, and take off with throttle and feather the clutch to keep her rolling.

I take off the "choke" at the first intersection which is a half mile. By then, the temp gauge is up a bit and she runs fine. I run it at about 2000-2500 rpm for that first half mile. After that, I just keep up with traffic.

I did the same trick as exavid just described once in the first two days of owning the first 1500, the '94 model.

I came out of the house with ATGATT, backed the bike out of the garage into the street still inline with the driveway.

Started it up, with almost no "choke" on at all. Blipped the throttle maybe twice and made a right turn, opened throttle and let the clutch out. Then it took a nap on my right ankle. But, I was able to get my left foot onto the backrest and push the bike up off my foot.

Very embarrassed, I got on the bike as if there were no pain in the foot at all. Ego made me start it up and get going. Road it to work for 30 minutes. By then, that cold weather was really making that ankle feel real good.

~ John

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 09:30 PM

Post imported post

Is it harmful to run a Wing before the temp guage has moved to one bar?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 09:37 PM

Model: GL1500SE
Garage
Post imported post

I start my 2000, let it fast idel about 30 seconds, 2500 rpm, then drop idel down to about 1500 rpm for about 30 seconds, then shut the choke off, give it a couple of throttle burst and then away we go.

It\'s not what you buy, it\'s what you build.

Victory Riders CMA Road Captain:

Illinios Chapter Wild Rinos Member
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

Sweet Cheeks wrote:
Quote:
Is it harmful to run a Wing before the temp guage has moved to one bar?
treat it just like you do your car. The engine technology is the same. It is a water cooled engine.

If it is cool, and a bit sluggish, give it a few seconds. Then go.

If it is warm and up to temp, just start and go.

If the wx is cold, ie. 0*C then I think it would be appropriate to let it idle for a minute or two before trying to do anything.

If you can detect the temp gauge moving at all, it is more than ready to go. The engine will come up to operating temperature quicker if you are working it. IMO letting an engine idle slow for a long time does more damage than just starting it and go.

Here "go" does not mean to hot rod it, just take off intelligently and let the motor work a bit, adding more throttle as you get down the road.

I never look at the temp gauge. I only go by throttle response. That will let you know when it is ready to go. If it balks, wait a bit. If it will go and not stall out on you, then it is ready.

~ John

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page