Heated Clothing - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Is it hard to hook up the thermostats that are used for the heated clothing. Also I just purchased a new to me 2000 SE, it came with a Corbin seat on it. I just found a connection along the bottom of the seat, would that mean that the seat is heated. Previous owner didn't know as the seat was on the bike when he purchased it. The connector is flat with a male/female plug. Thanks,

Eddie

Bikes I have owned:
1971 Honda CL 100
1970 Honda 350
1978 Kawasaki Big Horn
1979 Kawasaki KZ 1000
1975 Goldwing
1982 Goldwing
1985 Goldwing
1986 Goldwing
1988 Goldwing
1997 Goldwing
2000 Goldwing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 04:18 PM

Post imported post

check the plug for resistance

2006 GL1800 titanium 19k
90 GL 1500 CAMEL BLUE Totaled
88 gl 1500 gray ghost sold
78 gl 1000 naked parted out GONE
79 gl 1000 SOLD
76 gl 1000 LTD SOLD
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 04:44 PM
Banned

Post imported post

Unless there a light or a vibrator in that seat, then it's a heating pad in there. You lucked-out, huh? ..

Edit: as far as heated clothing goes, just about any jacket (preferably with a liner) can be made into a heated jacket, 12V, and be plugged into your bike. All it takes is a sewing machine and someone that knows how to use it...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 04:52 PM
Just another ORF!

Model: 92 1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

I'd take a photo of the seat, the connector in question and send it, along with an email to Corbin. They would be able to tell you.

As far as hooking up your bike for heated clothing,most garments should come with a 'Battery Harness', which is easy to hook up(just follow manufacturer's directions) Note however, that when you plug your garment into that harness, your garment will be heating at it's maximum rate and you could get too warm before long and then you'll have to disconnect it, in order to cool backdown, until you get chilled again and then have to plug it back in. Repeat cycle

You can either buy an ON/OFF Switch which makes it a little more convenient, but leaves you in the same boat

or ...

you can invest in a Heat Controller, which cycles on/off automatically and keeps the garment at a user selected comfort level. These just simply plug into the output connector of your battery harness. There are currently two types of connections. The older SAE type and the COAX connector, which most manufacturers use today. Here's a photo with the COAX connector on the left, with the SAE one on the right.

Heat controllers come in two different varieties. You can get them so that the attach to a tank bag/piece of clothing, or even in a pocket. They can be moved to any bike that has the battery wiring harness installed. These areknow as being Portable Heat Controllers

The other ones are mounted directly to the bike and are not easily moved from one bike to another. These are referred to as Permanent MountHeat Controllers, via a knob/button that the user selects to warm the garment to a level desired

If you are using a couple pieces of heated gear, gloves/jacket liner, it is nicer to have a separate dial to control the heat output for each garment. Although most jacket liners have connections in the sleeves to hook the gloves to and in 'Theory', are supposed to heat evenly with the jacket liner, that is not always so. Sometimes you want more heat to the glove and less to your body. A single heat controller can't accomplish that, so it's best to buy a Dual Heat Controller(either portable, or permanent mount)which allows you to plug in 2 different garments and control each garments heat, separately

Dusty

1992 1500 Aspencade - 213,178 showing on the clock

- just another Rider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"anyone can go fast on a straightaway" - Dusty Boots

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks for all the info, this is a great site.
Eddie

Bikes I have owned:
1971 Honda CL 100
1970 Honda 350
1978 Kawasaki Big Horn
1979 Kawasaki KZ 1000
1975 Goldwing
1982 Goldwing
1985 Goldwing
1986 Goldwing
1988 Goldwing
1997 Goldwing
2000 Goldwing
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 02:31 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

I just bought a pair of Gerbings G3 gloves and controller. Looking forward to the colder weather now without worring about the pain of cold hands.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 05:28 PM
Just another ORF!

Model: 92 1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

Hey Paul ....

Your new bike have the 'comfort' package on it?

Ken

1992 1500 Aspencade - 213,178 showing on the clock

- just another Rider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"anyone can go fast on a straightaway" - Dusty Boots

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 12:34 AM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

If you mean the heated seat and grips, no. So far over the years it's only been my hands that give me trouble due to some severe frostbite almost 45 years ago. Ever since I get a lot of pain in cool to cold weather when riding and my hands get cold. I'm hoping the Gerbings will cure that. If not I'll add more electrically heated stuff. I'm too damn old to be shivering and shaking in cold weather riding. I can't believe that I used to ride my snogo (snowmobile to cheechakos) in subzero weather wearing mukluks, parka, wolfhide pants and tutuliks. Today I'd probably just freeze up and shatter on the first bump. This old age thing ain't for sissies.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page