Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
mr irrelevant

Model: 2009 GL 1800
Garage
Post imported post

http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorcycle-Bluet...00364094328131

I bought a set of these off fleabay, got em home and have tested em on the bike with the mrs and alone. You can hear quite well using just the intercom feature with full face helmets, and when alone i also was able to take calls via bluetooth and talk with ease while runnin 75 and in 25-30 mph winds.

IMO these are well worth the money and for anyone looking for a cheap way to be able to communicate with a co rider or take incoming emergency calls these worked great for me. If anyone has any questions please just ask and ill tell you anything you want to know.

Mark
Current ride is a 09 gl1800 level 3
Wild Rhinos Iowa Chapter
GWRRA #410601 Chapter A Black Sheep Squadron Asst Chap Directors
IOWA PATRIOT GUARD
Now an honorary Newfie!! We have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" so are now members of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
mr irrelevant

Garage
Post imported post

I forgot to mention I paid around 72.00 for these headsets, not sure what theyre going for now on there. Just wanted to share the info for those who are thinking about headsets. Also the battery life is good on these, we had them on for over 5 hrs today with no issues.

Mark
Wild Rhinos Iowa Chapter
IOWA PATRIOT GUARD
Now an honorary Newfie!! We have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" so are now members of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 09:02 PM

Model: GL1800
Post imported post

I can personally vouch for the clarity of the audio. Mark called me Friday morning after he got it all set up and we chatted while he ran it up to speeds ranging from 50MPH to 70MPH on a local highway. I heard almost NO background/wind noise on his transmissions. Mark did have a little trouble hearing me while at speed, but adjusted the audio level down a little and it became more clear.

Based on the performance of these units, Linda and I are considering abandoning the J&M setups we currently have, and going with these for a few reasons I can think of:

1) The headset cords we currently have cut out on occasion, and this will solve that problem, by eliminating the cord.
2) Portability. Linda can easily move the entire unit to her GL1200LTD when she want to ride alone.
3) Intra-bike communication. I believe Mark told me these have a range of up to 1,500' so we can talk to each other while riding separate bikes.

Mark explained how easy it was to install in his and Melissa's helmets, so, no magic there. He even has come up with some ideas to improve them already!

I know I sound like a commercial for them, but after Mark's experience, and hearing them in action, I cannot think of any reason NOT to go with this setup. Intercom, stereo, phone connection, and bike-to-bike comm all rolled into one. Works for me.

The OTHER Cloud 9.
IBA #12185
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 04:24 AM

Post imported post

When two people are using this system, do they each have to have bluetooth capable cell phones? Do they require cell phones to work at all? I am looking for communication between two people only, either bike to pillion or bike to bike. Not really interested in music or phone calls while riding!

Life is like a roller coaster, full of ups and down\'s.
Most people just lay on the tracks, I prefer to ride my bike!
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
mr irrelevant

Garage
Post imported post

No, cell phones are not requited at all for these to work. Only need ph if u wish to take or make calls while on the road, I suggest only incoming for obvious reasons. The headsets will automatically answer for you hands free if you so choose to set it up that way and beep in letting you know you know you have an incoming call. At the same time you can be talking to your passenger or another bike and the incoming call will override that, you take the call, then it goes back automatically to the intercom feature again.Once enabled it stays hot so you dont have to push any buttons to talk just speak and your talking. Like i mentioned before we had em on for over 5 hrs yesterday while riding and they never shut off, dropped signal or anything while talking.

I also was trying to decide how to listen to the stereo on the bike through this system. I had also found amfm bluetooth transmiktter dongles on ebay for about 15 bucks that would enable you to listen to music and just push a button to talk to your passenger.However after using them yesterday without such a system, we noticed that both of us could actually hear the radio through our headsets while riding at speed, the mics are sensitive enough they pick up the music and play it. They also must seem to have some sort of noise cancelling feature because you rarely get any static from either speaking or from the music its picking up.

You have the choice of "linking up" with two different units at same time also, by that i mean either a co rider and someone on another bike, your co rider and a cell ph, a co rider and bluetooth radio dongle or whatever combination you choose, you would just have to push a button to switch back and forth.

I cannot believe how well these things work guys. I dont believe anyone would be disappointed by how they work compared to the cost. And you dont have to push a button to talk unless you dont want to talk to your co rider all the time! LOL

Mark
Wild Rhinos Iowa Chapter
IOWA PATRIOT GUARD
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 09:06 AM

Model: GL1800
Post imported post

According to the website provided, they apparently have a new model out with extended range. Up to 1,000 meters for a connection. Cool!

The OTHER Cloud 9.
IBA #12185
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 09:49 AM

Year: 1998
Model: SE
Post imported post

Thanks for the review. I've been debating on communications between bikes over the last couple of weeks. May go ahead and order these today

1998 1500 SE

Kevin Reitz
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
mr irrelevant

Garage
Post imported post

Thts the only thing we havent tried, but i have walked over a football field away at home and noticed no difference in clarity or sound, hope that helps.

Mark
Wild Rhinos Iowa Chapter
IOWA PATRIOT GUARD
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 09:13 PM

Model: 2006 GL1800 w/Motor Trike Conversion
Post imported post

I have the same set and very happy with the quality for the price and ease of use. People call me and have no idea I'm on the bike. Two small issues to be aware of, the double sided glue patch came loose in the heat we had in August. Fixed with crazy glue. When two up, I hear wind noise from the wife's mic. I intend to fab a cover to hopefully eliminate that problem. She doesn't hear any noise from my mic. Great product IMO.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!!
Who Dat!
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 09:33 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

Seems like the only wind noise we get on our headsets is from the woman who hangs around here's microphone. The wind eddies around behind the rider and makes it more difficult to keep it out of the rear mike.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page