Trike Conversion Kit - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Hi All:

For anyone who might be interested in an instant - removable type trike kit.

I have done some sketches for a trike attachment to our GL1200. This is a removable trike similar to Insta Trike, Voyager or Trigg.

In my research of other kits, costs etc I found that these kits start around $3500.00 plus shipping and go up from there. To me this seems a little expensive so I decided to design a kit similar that would be much more affordable.

The kit I designed would cost between $600.00 & $700.00 painted as long as you can do the welding and painting - The weight is also very reasonable at around 160lbs.

I have created the preliminary sketches that I will start the actual build from and there may be some alterations as I go along. Once the trike is built and fitted to the bike I will refine the sketches to as built and take pictures.

It's at least a starting point:

Just in case your wondering I am a retired aerospace mechanical engineer so am quite confident in the design and strength.

You can see the different sketches at this link on my website - http://goldwing.lawrason.net/?Trike_Build

Any comments, suggestions etc are appreciated

Rob

Rob Lawrason
1986 Honda GL1200 Aspencade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 08:56 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

I think what you are doing is stupendous. Most of us could handle a job like that, but just aren't really qualified in the engineering department.

I tend to "over do it" so it is safe, and hence, heavy.

From your drawings, it is going to as good, if not better than the commercial and over priced units. They want to get their pound of flesh on each and every unit sold.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 09:27 AM

Model: GL1000
Post imported post

That looks great!

it's something that I may be interested in pursuing.

1978 Honda GL1000

DirtRoadCowboy.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 09:42 AM
Piled Higher and Deeper

Post imported post

Kits are not expensive because of materials/construction; it is the cost of liability (lawyers and insurance).

AKA "Jim"
---------------
Have a Gold Wing? Look at the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
! even though they closed this one it has the best graphics and is valid.
---------------
If a man speaks in the forest and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?
---------------
2000 GL1500SE
1983 GL1100I
---------------
But formerly San Diego, Terra Haute, Aiken, Oak Ridge, Tonopah NV, Pasadena CA, Aiken SC, Richland WA, and now back to Tonopah NV..)
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

In response to latest comment - I agree - added costs for commercial kits are due to liability insurance, legal fees and protection as well as marketing and labor costs.

In my case with the kit I'm building, I do not have any of those costs as this is strictly a home project built for myself with no intention to commercially market or sell the kit.

My whole purpose of posting my idea is to just to let those who might be interested in a trike kit know that there is an alternative that is affordable and a fun winter project that they could work on.

I hope I didn't give the impression that I would be building and selling these kits - that is not my intent.
Again for those interested, it's intended only to help someone who may not know where to start.

Rob

Rob Lawrason
1986 Honda GL1200 Aspencade
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 11:46 AM

Post imported post

Thanks Rob, some very nice work there. It would be really nice to see some pics as you build it. that alone would really be helpful if others want to persue this as well. I have a feeling there will be others really interested.

Spider Bob

GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY, GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps, it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."

Patriot Guard Rider
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

Rob, it is a wonderful thing you are doing. In these economic times, there are a few of us joining the Social Security eligible ranks that just might benefit from your work.

Thank you.
John

~ John

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 12:12 PM
Piled Higher and Deeper

Post imported post

robl wrote:
Quote:
..I hope I didn't give the impression that I would be building and selling these kits - that is not my intent.
Naaa.. wasn't criticizing, just stating perhaps the obvious.. I am sure there will be much use of your information..

AKA "Jim"
---------------
Have a Gold Wing? Look at the
! even though they closed this one it has the best graphics and is valid.
---------------
If a man speaks in the forest and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?
---------------
2000 GL1500SE
1983 GL1100I
---------------
But formerly San Diego, Terra Haute, Aiken, Oak Ridge, Tonopah NV, Pasadena CA, Aiken SC, Richland WA, and now back to Tonopah NV..)
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 01:45 PM

Post imported post

I would be very interested in this Rob. Keep us up to date with progress please.

Brian Rowan
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 12:41 AM

Post imported post

Here is a 1982 1100 I. I have been working on.

Attached Images
File Type: bmp GL2.BMP (718.0 KB, 501 views)
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page