what was your first Motorcycle ride like? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Model: 2001 1800
Post imported post

The year was 1971 and I was a young 18 year old soldier who didn’t drive a car and had just got my learners motorcycle license, I don’t remember what I paid for the late 60s175 Honda that had seen better days, to me it looked big and to say I was a little nervous about riding it would be an understatement.

So on a warm sunny summers daywith some helpful pointers from the past owner on getting the clutch and gears to work together I headed off down a long curvy country road through the countryside, it still makes me smile thinking about the intense feeling of absolute freedom, a sense of adventure of what’s around that next corner combined with this incredible power to me of that 175, I’ve owned a number of motorcycles since then all much bigger faster and more powerful but never did I get that same intense feeling again …to be expected of course, the privilege of youth and all

I hadn’t ridden a motorcycle for 30 years and my wife kept saying stop talking about motorcycles, why don’t you just go buy one so last year I bought a Honda 750 Shadow for no other reason than it was available.

Not long afterheading out on a solo 7000 mile trip back east, at times as I traveled my mind would wander back to that first Motorcycle so many years ago and that experience would become almost touchable I know how much I enjoyed that trip even though the shadow was not the most comfortable of rides hence my recent purchase of a 1500 Goldwing that I can’t wait to put some miles on ......anybody want to buy a Shadow
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my first Bike 1968 175 Honda.jpg (127.3 KB, 182 views)

Darksider #1597: Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP 195/55/16

1968 175 Honda
I969 650 BSA Spitfire
1972 650 Yamaha
1973 900 Kawasaki Z1
1974 900 Kawasaki Z1
2002 750 Honda Shadow ACE
2001 GL 1800 (red..the fastest color)
GWRRA 350677

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 12:07 AM
Passed On, R.I.P.

Post imported post

Hi HD.

you rasied a smile on my face, bearing in mind it is only 6am here in the uk and I have been up for 2 hours no mean feat.

You have described my feeling on collecting my first bike in 71 as well, I was 16, and only alowed a 50cc, got it brand new from a bike shop £160 or $250 approx.

The feeling I had pulling out in to the rush hour traffic and the sense of achevement, I can remember as if it was yesterday, I can also remember the rain, I was soaked to the skin, My driving licence a week old was unreadable, for those in the Uk it was the little red book, which was now the little pink book, all the dye had run out and covered my money.

those where the days.

Nick

1982 1100DC 38,000 miles

------------------------------------
Nick Duffy (Welsh Winger) is no longer with us. He passed away in mid-September 2012, joining his wife Julie in Paradise.
------------------------------------
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 12:08 AM
Gregarious Greeter

Model: GL 1800
Garage
Post imported post

First motorcycle ride was on my Grandfathers' 350 Honda and that was all it took for me. 15 years old

Most memorable was my first road trip on my 450 Honda to Viginia Beach, VA. 17 years old

Did the sleep in the tent thing and felt like Easy Rider

Felt really cool to do it back then.

I just soak up the enjoyment of the road trips nowWay past being cool

Yesterday is for memories!
Today is for making memories!
Tomorrow is a concept that does not exist!
What are you waiting for? ... Sam-n-Elaine
Just livin\' the dream!!!!!
Just another day in paradise!!!!!
Honor above all else!!!!!
Thank you Dylan Saunders for the layout of my greeting!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 03:37 AM

Location: Birsay, Orkney Isles 59degN 3degW, , United Kingdom
Post imported post

Mine was way back in 1964 when I was 15. A friend came round on his BSA Bantam 125 painted all over in blue household paint - everything including cables footrest rubbers and even parts of the tyres were blue! I said 'I'd like to buy a bike soon' 'Give me a quid (£1) and it's yours' said my mate. Although I had a paper delivery round, even that was a struggle but by borrowing next weeks pocket money and with what I had, the deal was done for 17/6d (88p and a bit under his asking price - cos that's all I could rake up)

I had never ridden a bike beforebut I climbed on with the engine still running and he started telling me about clutches and throttles and complicated stuff before stamping the gear lever down with his boot. Knowing what I know now it should have jumped forward and stalled but it just managed to lurch forward and keep going in whatever gear he'd 'selected' It ran quite a way down our road until it spluttered to halt as it ran out of one float chamber of fuel with the tap turned off- good job really as he had not told me anything about stopping the thing!

That was it for me - I was hooked and have been kangarooing around on 2 wheels (and 4)ever since.

I stripped that Bantam down and painted the frame black and the tank white - well, kind of a grey colour really as I didn't clean the brush properly after the frame painting. I've still got a Bantam too, although it's a 175 with a4 speed box.

Regards,
Ian and Christine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 04:14 AM

Year: 1991
Make: Honda
Model: 1991, made in the USA!
Garage
Post imported post

I remember I borrowed my sister's Capri scooter and learnt on that and even passed my test on it! I think it was a 1960's model about 80cc and it was horibble. The clutch didn't disengage fully and it would try to keep going when I stopped anywhere. Luckily, neutral was at the top and I soon got the knack of twisting the handlebar gear shift as I stopped and then jamming it into first when I wanted to go. The best thing about it was the exhaust would leak and warm the enclosed bodywork which kept my feet warm. Next it was a 350 Ariel, a real bike that seemed very powerful after the 80cc Capri!

If it aint broke?....don\'t fix it?....keep riding it!
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 05:58 AM
Banned

Post imported post

Hondadiver wrote:
Quote:
...I’ve owned a number of motorcycles since then all much bigger faster and more powerful but never did I get that same intense feeling again...

Yeah, ...that's right. Just like a good drug, ain't it? ...

That's why I'm a Bike-Junkie.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 06:58 AM

Post imported post

I was 16 in 1972 and our school science teacher kept a little Raleigh moped that he used to demonstrate the workings of the internal combustion engine. Once a year, he would let the 5th year kids have a go on it round the football pitch. I was hooked - the feeling of power and control without exterting any effort!

I convinced my mother to lend me the £32 needed to buy a Garelli moped from a dealer about 15 miles away. I remember the exhiliration and fear riding it back home through busy traffic in a town I wasn't familiar with - until it died on me about half way home. I was stuck a faced a 10 mile hike pushing it when my cousin appeared in his car. He leant me a plug spanner (which I still have) and showed me how the plug had whiskered up in the two-stroke engine. A quick clean-up and I was on my way again with him following - just in case!

That moped eventually died from abuse and neglect. A few years later I got a Honda C90, on which I passed my bike test (once round the block in the pouring rain with the examiner running from corner to corner!) and was later replaced with a CB200 then a CX500.

Ahh, the memories of youth!

Born to be wide.

1993 GL1500 SE
1983 GL1100 Aspencade (Now sold)
1985 Kawasaki GT750
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 07:07 AM

Send a message via MSN to sloopoke
Post imported post

Forty two years ago, cleaned out my paper route savings account and walked 32 blocks to my Honda Dealer and they sold me a NEW Honda QA50. Pushed it almost all the way home when my mother caught me and we put it in back of the station wagon. Next day, they decided to let me keep it.

Age 15, bought a used Honda XL100, and shortly thereafter got my License. Spent all my bus boy money buying new mirrors, clutch and brake handles learning how not to trail ride.

Somewhere between 30-40 bikes later now an '05 Honda Aero 750 and now also a GL1500A -YEEEHA!

Hi all from Sloopoke, Dubuque, Iowa. Just purchased a \'92 1500 Aspencade with 23.5K miles, "perfect condt", 9/2010. 25K now

Also ride \'05 Aero with 8K on it now, 10/2010
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 12:52 PM

Post imported post

About 1963, my cousin got a Honda 50 and he let me drive it some. Neat little bike. Then, the next year, I got a brand new Vespa GL (150cc, 4-spd on the handlebar shifter). I still have the Vespa. Had it reconditioned about a year ago. About 9K original miles on it, rebuilt engine, all new expendables, original, albeit scuffed here and there, paint that buffed out pretty nicely. The Wing is a much more comfortable and stable, not to mention faster, ride though.

2005 GL 1800
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 01:15 PM

Post imported post

It was 1964 I was 13 and we had just moved to Oregon, my mom's boyfriend had a 1948 Harley. You know foot clutch and the shift on the tank.

I asked one day if I could ride it, he tested me by having me pick it up. At 13 I was 5'8" and 185#'s and to stupid not to try and succeed. Short lesson on clutch, shifter and brake, I was off. Found out quickly why he tested me on picking it up, fell over at the stop and the end of the block.

But that hooked me and have ridden all types of bikes including some that were home made from some old frame and what ever engine I could find to stuff in it.

No matter where you go, there you are.

If I had known I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself... NOT, I had to much fun getting here.

ADJ2 USN \'69-\'74
Viet Nam \'73-\'74 USS Ranger VA-113
Past rides from A-Z and in between
Now only a Wing
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page