I've never told anyone I was a bodyman - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

It takes an eye and some good tricks to blend damaged metal into an acceptable surface. I never had either. I have never had an eye for symmerty or shape. I think I may be getting better. I've made repairs to my tank and am finishing it with bondo and filleting putty. I washed dishes to make room for wet sanding the tank when it dried. The smell of that putty always reminds me of that butarate dope we used on our tissue winged airplane models. I'm hoping I don't have too many more layers.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/16142...91307/Gas+tank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg repair4.JPG (63.6 KB, 227 views)

84 Standard. Fairly bone stock
The Kitchen Bike. Still on the drawing board.

Motorcycle building and machinery forum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 06:09 PM

Post imported post

nice thing about bondo you can keep working on it till your happy.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 06:23 PM

Post imported post

Bondo is very forgiving... A bodymans fixall..

"Guard zealously your right to serve in the Armed Forces, for without them, there will be no other rights to guard."
— John F. Kennedy, 35th U. S. president
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 12:05 AM

Model: 1999 1500SE Motortrike
Post imported post

May I suggest a longboard flexible sanding block? It will blow you away how round and symmetrical your shaping will be with one! You can get one at a autobody products supplier. They range from 15 to upwards of a hundred bucks for the adjustible ones. All it is, is a rubber long,12 to 20 inch sanding block, that flexes enough to follow the surrounding shape of the undamaged areas, making for damned near perfect blending in to those surrounding areas! A free homeade one can be fashioned outa newspaper, rolled up around a piece of hose, with sandpaper stuck to the paper. Stickyback 80 grit airfile sandpaper will get you shaped up. The diameter of the hose isn't important, but the flexibility is. The newsprint is like a padding, and the hose holds the level surface. An old boss of mine a lifetime ago taught me this, and it is a cinch to master. A flat sanding block makes it hard to avoid flat spots, and they are hard to see untill the wet paint reflects enough to bring them out. Looks like you are pretty close. After shaping, then I like to spread a coat of Evercoat Blue Glazing putty on, and go to 180 grit on the flexible long board. Take this process all the way up to 320 wet/dry with water, and it will shine like glass while wet!!! You'll know then if you're ready for primer! Good luck with it, I love bodywork! Here is the sons Vette we did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01858.jpg (53.7 KB, 154 views)

"We are put here, to take care of each other"
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 12:15 AM

Post imported post

Just last month, 2 little buttheads with skateboards took out the drivers door and rear quarter panel.Thank God Todd had "no deductible"on vandalizm, and a cool insurance adjuster. The adjuster called it "vandalizm", instead of an "accident", to get it done! You don't hear that too often these days! Still a shame, the paint still smelled! I thought Todd was gonna jump off the balconey when it happened!! You can't raise hell with the kids responsible, cause they're street urchins, that live nearby, and they could retaliate in the middle of the night. Todd's got to park outside, in the condo parking garage. If security runs em off, they just come back later. jimsjinx

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 03:17 AM

Year: 2003
Model: 2003
Post imported post

Is that a BB under that hood.
to bad it has to set out. Just love bumper Corvettes

Brian&Marn
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 10:10 AM

Post imported post

Yes, it's a 454. The stock config. had no power steering or power brakes. This is one of the pointless toys he bought with his inheritance money. He's also stone broke now. While working on the Vette, I had no Idea he had spent every dime of 1.8 million, so it's kind of a sore spot with me and Mom. His Mom bailed his ass outa jail when he was a teenager, cost her 20+ grand to pay the lawyers. You think he offered to pay her back? Nope. Stepkids.... ya can't shoot em, and ya can't bury em in the backyard!!!! jimsjinx

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 11:09 AM

Post imported post

jimsjinx wrote:
Quote:
May I suggest a longboard flexible sanding block? It will blow you away how round and symmetrical your shaping will be with one! You can get one at a autobody products supplier. They range from 15 to upwards of a hundred bucks for the adjustible ones. All it is, is a rubber long,12 to 20 inch sanding block, that flexes enough to follow the surrounding shape of the undamaged areas, making for damned near perfect blending in to those surrounding areas! A free homeade one can be fashioned outa newspaper, rolled up around a piece of hose, with sandpaper stuck to the paper. Stickyback 80 grit airfile sandpaper will get you shaped up. The diameter of the hose isn't important, but the flexibility is. The newsprint is like a padding, and the hose holds the level surface. An old boss of mine a lifetime ago taught me this, and it is a cinch to master. A flat sanding block makes it hard to avoid flat spots, and they are hard to see untill the wet paint reflects enough to bring them out. Looks like you are pretty close. After shaping, then I like to spread a coat of Evercoat Blue Glazing putty on, and go to 180 grit on the flexible long board. Take this process all the way up to 320 wet/dry with water, and it will shine like glass while wet!!! You'll know then if you're ready for primer! Good luck with it, I love bodywork! Here is the sons Vette we did.

Nice C3. You're right about blocking. Nothing takes the place of it for smoothing out panels. Even if you don't have a long board, a small one works well too...just be sure to use a block of some sort, be patient and remember your hands are the best tools you have.

I'm right in the middle of restoring a '72 C3 Convertible (numbers matching) and am almost ready to paint the body. I've already painted several parts and it's looking show quality. It's my winter project.

dw or Donny ><>
08 Pearl White, Airbag.
IBA Member #42244
Darkside #1207
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF THIS GREAT FORUM FAMILY!!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 01:57 PM

Post imported post

The kid had intentions of restoring it and then selling it, but the economy took a dive, and he also fell in love with it. Now he has all these fabulous toys, and no money left for mortgage/bills! I hope it's comfortable to sleep in!!!!!!! jimsjinx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01864.jpg (61.5 KB, 86 views)

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Well it is a beautiful car.

Hey I went to the auto paint store today and bought a flexible sanding pad. While I doubt the tank will end up with the repairs undetectable, it'll be dammed close! I'm kinda pumped. I think it's the best Bondo work I've ever done!

84 Standard. Fairly bone stock
The Kitchen Bike. Still on the drawing board.

Motorcycle building and machinery forum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page