check these out - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 01:27 PM

Post imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
Quote:
They do the same thing as dyna beads Only they cost more.

Persoanally I would think the dyna beads are likely to work better as they (the centramatic) are placed in the rim closer to the center of the wheel assembly where the force they create isn't going to be as strong as where the dynabeads are in the tire and thus placed further away from the center where the force they create will be stronger.

For a product that costs more but doesn't really work any better...not for me.

An interesting experiment would be to attach a ball to fish scale using a 3 ft piece of string. Swing it above your head at 2 revolutions per second and then record the reading on the scale. Do that again with a 6 ft string and record the reading.

Hawker22(Ken)
Per Ardua Ad Astra
1997 GL1500SE--White Cloud
2001 GL1800----Blue Yonder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 01:59 PM

Post imported post

Well, over the last 30 minutes, I performed the experiment that I put forth in the last post. Not really that exact, but I got the RPM for each string length as close to the same as possible with just swinging my arm around. I used a piece of metal about 10 oz in weight. Scale reading at 3 ft and 60 RPM was 8 lbs Scale reading at 6 ft and 60 RPM was 11 lbs. So, Broke, me thinks you are correct. Of course, the centripedal force, which the scale reads, would be somewhat affected byair resistance and the like.

Think I am going senile.------OR

Hawker22(Ken)
Per Ardua Ad Astra
1997 GL1500SE--White Cloud
2001 GL1800----Blue Yonder
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 08:54 AM

Post imported post

Those cantramatics get good feedback from the gl1800 owners using them. I think they are over priced, but if they stop all the wobbles and tire cupping that seem to happen many 1800 wings then I guess they are worth the money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 10:55 AM

Post imported post

I put a set on the front of my trike. Nice smooth ride for me. Im also looking to see if it helps with the cupping. It seems no matter who balances the tire or if you use Dynabeads(I tried them) you have a 50-50 shot on the tire cupping. Im looking forward to just changing the tire with no balancing and no mess on the floor while doing it.

Old age is like fine wine,you just get better.
Honorary Rhino
Nassir 5
Nassir 7
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 12:16 PM

Post imported post

general math looks a little like this based on very general numbers

160-60-17( the only loose tire wheel combo I had laying around) has a circumference of 80"
One mile = 5,280 feet
5,280 feet = 63,360 inches
60mph = 1 mile per minute
Distance / Circumference = 792 revolutions per mile
Revolutions / time to cover distance
792 revolutions per mile / 1 minute per mile = 792 rpm

800rpm doesn't seem like much until you figure in wheel diameter and weight and tire weight, the numbers get pretty big pretty fast.
now lets see at 200mph thats roughly 2560 rpm the wheels are turning at,,covering approximately .27 mile or roughly 1/3 mile in 5 seconds uh uhm yeah it's already a mile BEHIND ME!
OK enough with the stupid math tricks here's the real deal wheels are rough cast for bikes. And they are not round as cast. Wheels are then center drilled for the axle next turned on a lathe(most likely a cnc) to get the wheel mounting lips and flange and outside finish areas round and centered to the axle. This process is quick simple and easy but doesn't assure static balance as spokes rim centers etc may not be perfectly centered. I discovered this years ago when polishing wheels on sportbikes became the next big thing. You could spin the wheel on the bike to polish it and it was perfectly round on the machined surfaces but when you got onto the cast areas it could be as much as 1/16th inch difference from the high to low spot!
We mount our own tires and balance them with a static manual spin balancer. Years ago I got into the habit of balancing my wheel BEFORE mounting the tire by removing small amounts of metal from the heavy area until the wheel was balanced. IF you have a wheel with a small imbalance and a tire with a small imbalance and by sheer coincidence you place the 2 together your going to need more weights!
Another fact to consider is if you have an unbalanced wheel and unbalanced tire and you mount them, the balance is off, break the bead rotate the tire on the rim and try again.
We run Pilots on Marie's Racebike and last time we went through 3 NEW tires before we found one that required very little weight to balance!.
Although your mechanic won't like it he should be able to rotate the tire on the rim to get you closed to static balance, if your doing it at home yourself balance your rim THEN mount your tire. so the numbers above tell you why we spent so much time balancing wheels but in the long run this is something that can benefit every rider on any bike if they want to spend a little time.
SRAD
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 06:00 PM

Year: 75,83I,86SEi,93A,94SE,03ABS
Model: 94SE 209000 miles
Post imported post

Good points . And at 200 you surely want a smooth ride .

PerhapsKeith Stonecould help

Mike
NASSIR 1
NASSIR 6
NASSIR 7
NASSIR 8
NASR 10 Good times!
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 08:00 PM

Post imported post

[align=center]CLICK HERE[/align]
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page