Getting Honda to Keep supplying parts for Older Honda Goldwing - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1985 1200 LTD
Post imported post

I have a 1985 Honda Goldwing LTD before I bought the bike I figured that Honda being a large company would supply parts for ever like Harley for their bikes especially the Goldwing line as far as parts boy was I fooled . They have left us high and dry there has got to be a market world wide for parts for these old bikes. You can get parts for most Honda cars but bikes nope nada .This really pisses me off as far as a owner of a older Goldwing Honda doesn't care about keeping their product going 25 or 30 years down the road all they are interested in selling bikes not parts. You people that have the 1500 and the 1800 if you keep these bikes look out 25 years you are going to catch it getting parts you are going to have to hunt cycle salavage yards and pay out the butt for parts or wear out Ebay or Craigslist Look at this you can buy parts for a 1935 Harley nuckel head but not a 1975 Goldwing someone needs to start making parts for these bikes he would do well I think and make congress put pressure and let them know there is a market for parts for these old parts. Let me know your opinion something needs to be done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 07:48 PM

Year: 1996
Make: Aspencade
Model: 1996 Aspencade with a Friendship 3 sidecar & 1994 Special Edition
Garage
Post imported post

Before you give up hope, talk to another dealer. Twice now I have been told by the local dealer that a part is no longer available for my '96 Goldwing. In each case I called another dealer about 50 miles from me, hoping they might have one left on the shelf, only to find the parts are still available and they could get them for me overnight. The second dealer even offered to have them drop shipped to my home.
Once is a parts guy making a mistake. Twice is a dealer who doesn't want my business.
When I win the lottery and order my new Goldwing, it will be from the dealer down the road a piece.
BTW, for anyone in my area, the good dealer, who has been with Honda since 1965, is
Gtc Motor Parts Corp.
18529 Blair St
Whitehall WI 54773.

Yup, it's an auto parts house that took on a motorcycle franchise 50 years ago and still runs it the way dealerships used to be run.

SidecarMike
A motorcycle is like a cast iron skillet, it mellows with age, wash it and you destroy years of seasoning!
The Mistress, 1996 Aspencade & Sidecar 1997 Valkyrie, the Borderline Outlaw
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 07:53 PM

Post imported post

Hi Freddie,

Im not sure what parts you requested from Honda that they don't have, but in my experience they still have alot of parts.

Theprices of the parts from HONDA isa little crazy, so I am happy I can get stuff off ebay or Craigs list or more importantly, the folks on this forum.

I will tell you what... You buy all those parts for that 1935 knuckle head and I will trade you straight upall the obsolete 1985 Honda Goldwing parts.

DEAL ????????

Just Joking with ya !

1982 GL1100
1980 Honda CM400
1979 Yamaha XS750 Special ( project)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 07:59 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Post imported post

No manufacturer is required to continue to supply parts for anything forever. When the stock runs out it's over. In reality there is not enough demand for parts on these older bikes to make it worthwhile to continue to make them even though we may think there are a lot of them still on the road, it is still a very small market. So you may need a TPS or pulse generator for your LTD and so do 20 other people, it is just not worth the trouble to produce them. You may be able to get a part for a 35 knucle head but I'll bet ya they are not still being made by HD, except for those parts that they still use today.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 08:04 PM

Post imported post

Welcome to the forum. Can't say i share as much of a neg.outlook on the supply of OEM parts as you. Having my 86 since it was new i have to presume it's a supply and demand issue for Honda, after all it's a 25+ year old machine and i'm sure if Honda had enough demand for the parts to make a profit they would. I sure there are a lot of 1200's out there and maybe i'm wrong about Honda,and the parts I'v needed recently i have gotten on E Bay used, much,much cheaped than from mother Honda (when available ) and with the help of this forum i'm sure you will find the parts you need.
Again Welcome Jim

Body and Bike in southern Georgia,heart and head back in the Del/Mar/Va.
Jim

"Member of lousy spellers of America"
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 08:09 PM

Post imported post

Honda has it's interests and we have ours and I suspect never the twain shall fully coincide. I won't be turning loose of my 12 anytime soon.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 08:43 PM
Banned

Post imported post

Head Gaskets and Journal Bearings, ...that's all you need from Honda.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 09:07 PM

Post imported post

lots of body parts are very rare new... but it depends what part you need and your connections for them...i think most engine rebuild parts are available rings and such

91 GL1500
91 Electraglide
A prior Buffet of GL l000\'s,1100s\',1200s\'
had Some nice old 650 trumpets...(fun!!)
many dirt and streets..cant remember!!

Ask the wrench god 1st!!
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 09:17 PM

Model: GL-1500
Post imported post

I was told that Honda no longer carried caliper pistons for 1100's, but in doing some research, I found a supplier that had them, but not for the 1200's?????...It all depends on what you want and how bad you need it....I have seen several good looking Goldwings parted out on this forum in my almost 4 years now...Brokewinger found a supplier that sells the front master cylinder in either chrome or powder coated even came with stop light switch, banjo bolt, crush washers, and lever for less than $80.00 brand new.....So there are some dealers that do carry parts....Good luck on your search....

Claude.....

THE NATION WHICH FORGETS ITS DEFENDERS WILL ITSELF BE FORGOTTEN

1982 GL-1100 Goldwing Interstate...Black Beauty
1994 GL-1500 Goldwing Aspencade...401K....

Honorary member Wild Rhinos

I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 09:53 PM

Garage
Post imported post

All of the above is as it is. There are many places to get parts that you need, except maybe the plastic.

I don\'t care what you ride, just ride.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them--Thomas Jefferson

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves...Abraham Lincoln.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Heathen Darksider # 771.
Falken 912 NRF @44psi.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page