full face helmet & surface mike - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

After reading and seeing in the forum here about the safety advantage of a full face helmet, I went out and bought a new ARAI full face helmet. I also sent away for a surface mike to install inside the helmet. I need the surface mike for my phone; I'm on call 24 hours a day. I tried mounting the surface mike in every possible location on the inside of the helmet along the lower bar. No matter where I place it, it digs into my forehead when I try to slip the helmet on or off. The only place I could possibly mount the surface mike is on the padding by the upper left corner of the face opening (picture attached), but I doubt that the mike would work well there. The helmet is brand new, never used. I'm thinking of selling it and getting a flip-up, modular helmet instead. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions? I've heard head shrinks are very expensive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg araihelmetmike.JPG (73.3 KB, 125 views)

\'02 750 Honda Shadow Spirit
\'94 GL1500 ASPY 45K miles (my son rides it)
\'98 GL1500 SE 81K miles (I plan to sell it! ;( )
\'06 GL1800 ABS 24k miles

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 08:30 AM
mr irrelevant

Model: 2009 GL 1800
Garage
Post imported post

After installing mic's in bout 3 full face helmets, if the helmet isnt fitting right or is too small,this will not help your plight. Also those are made to be placed directly in front of the mouth.Is there not room for it there? I have similar mic's with our j&m sets and that is where they are.

Mark
Current ride is a 09 gl1800 level 3
Wild Rhinos Iowa Chapter
GWRRA #410601 Chapter A Black Sheep Squadron Asst Chap Directors
IOWA PATRIOT GUARD
Now an honorary Newfie!! We have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" so are now members of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 08:38 AM

Post imported post

On a full face I usually cut a small hole and mount the mic behind any padding on the chin bar. If you mount it on top of any thing that is on the chin bar it sticks out too far.

03 Honda XR650L
84 GL1200 Aspencade

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 09:38 AM

Post imported post

I have a full face sevenzeroseven vendetta II that I installed a mic on. No padding to remove just used Velcro to stick it as low as possible on the helmet below mouth and don't notice it. GL.

Brian

2005 Honda Shadow Spirit 750
2010 Honda Goldwing Titanium
Found out what I\'ve been missing...only took 44 1/2 years.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 10:03 AM

Model: 2000 1500 SE
Garage
Post imported post

I also cut out some of the padding directly in front of my mouth on my full face helmet, and it fits in perfectly.

Reinyrooster
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 11:38 AM

Garage
Post imported post

Motocross helmets have more room in the front area, but are still one piece.

Just an idea....

I don\'t care what you ride, just ride.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them--Thomas Jefferson

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves...Abraham Lincoln.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Heathen Darksider # 771.
Falken 912 NRF @44psi.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 01:02 PM

Model: 1997 GL1500 2007 GL1800
Garage
Post imported post

I also agree with cutting the hole. I had used J&M fullface headsets on my helmets. I had a HJC full face and after that a Z1R fullface. I always carfully pulled out the foam padding for the chin bar and cut a hole for the mike towards the center. I stuck the mike in from behind the padding and this kept the mike out of the way for me along with hiding/protecting the wiring. It worked out well for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mike K.
Honorary Wild Rhino- Thanks Fly!!

07 GL1800 - Crucible Orange Metallic
Premium Audio/Comfort/NAVI/ABS
Converted to California Sidecar Viper Trike.

Darkside #1659
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 01:24 PM

Post imported post

Helmets and heads have different shapes. A helmet that gives one person enough room for a mic on the chin bar may not provide enough room for another. I was all set to buy a Nolan flip-up when I realized that the chinbar was too close to my face. The HJC IS Max has more room.

I cut the foam and mounted a mic in the chinbar on my full face HJC. This may not be possible on a flip-up. There could be mechanical stuff in there for the chinbar latch. I have not purchased the IS Max yet.

"Fire all of your guns at once and explode into space"

Remember, when using any forum, that owning a keyboard and having an internet
connection does not make anyone an expert.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions.
I took the ARAI helmet out of the box again. The chin pad looks and feels like a dense piece of foam, covered with a thin piece of imitation leather. It appears to be cemented to the outer shell. Is the padding on other brand of full face helmets of similar material? Is this what you would cut into?

\'02 750 Honda Shadow Spirit
\'94 GL1500 ASPY 45K miles (my son rides it)
\'98 GL1500 SE 81K miles (I plan to sell it! ;( )
\'06 GL1800 ABS 24k miles

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 06:38 PM

Post imported post

You have bought the best helmet known to mankind, IF and only IF, you go fast on a superbike. If I were you I would take it back and get a Nolan modular helmet with the headset/mike buildt in. They even have a module that snaps right onto the helmet for your bluetooth connection, no fat ugly ball hanging down on the side.

Winter is here, happy riding and stay safe !
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page