TIRES TIRES TIRES - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I need to replace at least my front tire, it went flat today. I started checking out tires andreviews they are all over the place. I have had great luck with Michlins on my cars and trucks how are they on the 1500's? I want a smooth rideing long lasting tire that is good in the rain too! Whats the difference in handleing etc between bias and radial tires. Do you go tubeless or tubes? Should you, can you balance a bike tire?If sodo they use the same weights as car tires or are they special type?

I plan on removing and mounting this tire myself, I dought that it will fit on my automotivetire machine so I will do it the old fashion way, are the difficult to break the bead or to seal it?

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 12:33 AM

Post imported post

Jrwms, the GL1500's were designed to ride on bias ply tires and not radials. Having said that, you'll likely get as many suggestions as replies. Personally I've changed out all but one set of tires on my 92 GL1500SE and a time or two without access to a very simple manually operated tire changer. Not something I would attempt on the road for sure. A lift is most useful and makes the task less painful. A good set of irons, bead breaker, and rim protectors are a must if you don't want to loose your religion the first few minutes into the project (once the wheel is off the bike), not to mention you want to prevent any damage to the rims. As for my preference, I've stayed with Dunlop although I did upgrade to their Elite series and still run them. Theiir mileage and ride is suited to my style and liking, so I've not tried any of the other excellent options available for the GL1500's. My opinion only and yours may very well differ. Whatever you decide, if doing the changeout yourself, I would suggest recruiting a buddy to give you a hand as it might be somewhat easier with extra hands in the mix. Good luck and be safe. Also, if you have access to a service manual for your modle year, you'll find all the specified torque numbers for all the nuts, bolts, etc.. Juneau Ron

RETIREMENT: (Nothing like it) No Boss. No Timecard. No Income. How can you beat that?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thank's Ron I appreciate the information. The manual on cd is on it's way. So far this site tech info got me thru rear brakes. taking the wheel off the bike looks pretty simple. I guess I'm off to harbor Freight in the morning for bead breaker and irons. I have narrowed the tire down now I need to find the best place to buy. Looking for good price and to get it fast don't like bike not usable.

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 03:58 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

I like the Elite 3 tires. They suit my style of riding just fine. Be sure to keep them aired up to 42-44 front and back.

That will keep them from cupping out.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 07:17 AM
A d m i n i s t r a t o r

Model: 1994 Aspencade
Post imported post

Michelin had a great tire for the wing but they stopped making them. (Pilot GT) It was made only for the Goldwing 1500. It came in 2 sizes. Front and back.

Dennis

Join me on facebook Dennis D-Rod Ruda, Hamburg, New York

Button Lady's book website:
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page