Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   General Motorcycle Discussion Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5-general-motorcycle-discussion-forum/)
-   -   Baker Air Wings - Has this ever happened to you ? (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5-general-motorcycle-discussion-forum/372622-baker-air-wings-has-ever-happened-you.html)

Fritz_The_Cat 07-17-2011 09:48 AM

imported post

1 Attachment(s)
I'm cruising down the Interstate at 70 mph and I decide to adjust my Air Wings to funnel the air flow in towards my legs. I reach down and grab and twist. Snap, it breaks in half instead of moving. There went $20.

Guess I should loosen the screws a little. :(

DrAce51 07-17-2011 10:14 AM

imported post

As a mater of fact yes it did happen to me a couple of times on my 84 GL/I . Dismounting bike and then adjusting for better air flow. After replacing the air wings I asked Baker Air Wings if they had Seconds (Minor imperfections) at a reduced price . I was able to pick up 3 sets at a good price from them. Only then I never broke another air wing ! I had that bike for 20 yrs from new, when i sold it needless to say I had a lot of extra parts . The only thing I still have Is the stock seat .

BrianInPA 07-17-2011 01:36 PM

imported post

I did the same thing to my set of smoked wings, but I am a cheap [email protected]#d that won't spend more than I have to on anything. I bought a cheap ($1.50) smoked plexiglass clipboard and made my own replacement shield. A little cutting and a little heat from a paint stripping heat gun worked pretty well. :?

Shooter 07-17-2011 01:45 PM

imported post

Well now; what kind of shape is that 84 seat in, and are you willing to part with it??? The stitching on my 86-I is getting pretty bad... :gunhead:

DrAce51 07-17-2011 04:05 PM

imported post

Shooter wrote:
Quote:

Well now; what kind of shape is that 84 seat in, and are you willing to part with it??? The stitching on my 86-I is getting pretty bad... :gunhead:
PM sent !

Hocky 08-27-2012 06:06 PM

imported post

+1 on Baker Air Wings. Had those on my 96' GW worked great. On my 2000 SE I put 1 pc cheaper set, not so good. The Bakers fit farther away from the tupperware so greater angle= much more air. wish I could afford the Bakers again.

Mike Hirsh 08-27-2012 06:16 PM

imported post

I'd make one out of Plexiglas. Yours is easy, it's clear.

jobe05 08-27-2012 07:42 PM

imported post

112 Attachment(s)
Yes it has happened to me......

It happened when I whent to look at the bike to buy it......

Except it wasn't my hand adjusting it, it was my knee going through it as I was getting off.....

Fortunately...... I bought the bike and haven't replaced the wing yet. Had I'd made replacing it a priority, I would had replaced it several times by now. I watch myself getting off and several times my knee still fits perfectly in the wing knock out that is now there.......

Someday I'll learn how to get off my wing and not but my knee through it, then I'll replace it!

Chromo 08-27-2012 08:26 PM

imported post

Well the knee might not be a problem with a fresh new piece, it should be solid and flex some I would think.
When plastic ages and exposed to sun for long periods it gets brittle and breaks easier.

Don't know why one of my lower wings is broke for a 1500, got the bike that way and wing parts in the trunk. Now thinking of making my own Plexy parts as to buy them pre-made cost too much really.

After the deer hit one of my hand wings is gone also now.

Jluvs2dive 08-27-2012 10:07 PM

imported post

jobe05 wrote:
Quote:

Yes it has happened to me......

It happened when I whent to look at the bike to buy it......

Except it wasn't my hand adjusting it, it was my knee going through it as I was getting off.....
I had someone do that to my 86 when I had it up for sale. He smacked it hard with his knee and snapped it, except it wasn't a Baker. Not sure what the brand was but they looked about the same as the Bakers. I had some custom blue one's made when the smoke one's got old and were cracking, and I had some extras made at the same time in case I broke one, so that guy was happy about that. He asked me what they cost and I told him the plastics place charged me $18 each to make them. He handed me a $20 and apologized a bunch of times, but he didn't buy the bike. :ROFL:

John