Anti-Tip wheels (AKA) training wheels - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

My 1981 GL1100 Interstate isway too topheavy to keep upright, especially when my somewhat petite150 lb wife is on the back seat. When maneuvering three point turn, tight turns andwhen accelerating from a dead stop or very near a dead stop (rolling stop)the bike is very wobbely andhandles real crappy. And with her weight the bike scrapes ground on a 25 degreelean. I am a Vietnam Vet andhave a broken back andonly have a social security disability checkandmust staywithin a strict budget.

I am disgusted with my bikes ability to take me to the ground primarily when backing up and struggling with the center stand. The falling part is easybut, it's the picking it backup that overwhelms me.

I was browsing gold wing photos on google and saw a beautiful wing with what looked like training wheels. This might help with the dropping issue. But,will the side wheels make it unsafe with bottoming out on leaning turns (with the old-Lady on my saddle).

Is there anyonewillingto donate the hardware for the side wheel kits? I think I could tackle the install. I live in the Detroit down river area.

Thanks for your time and consideration:

Joe (warezaholic)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 08:03 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

Most of those type side wheel kits lift off the ground once you get over 15 mph. Some manually with a touch of a button, others automatically. The two I am aware of advertise being able to lean over as far as you normally do.

This video will show you how one model is made. I think a judicious amount of skullduggery might enable you to build your own. But, acquiring the "factory kit" would be easier to install.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOhP1HTZQwY

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 08:12 AM

Year: 2006
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800, GL1200, GL1000
Post imported post

Joe,

You have a few options to solve your problem.

First, there is the option typically called “landing gear” or “outriggers” or something similar. These are a set of small wheels that are normally retracted and don’t touch the ground while you are riding. They only come down when you stop or are moving under a certain set speed, say 2 or 3 MPH, to help you keep the bike up. Some of these are manual (you hit a switch to lower them) and some are automatic (a computer sensed speed and puts them down and up) but those are expensive.

Second, are the “Insta-Trike” and other such type kits that add an extra set of two wheels to the back outside of the back wheel on the bike. So you basically have a quad-wheeled vehicle. The bikes back wheel is the only drive wheel. These can be removed without too much effort to return the bike to a two-wheeled configuration. These extra two wheels stay down in contact with the ground all the time. So, no leaning into corners anymore.

Third is a true trike kit that adds a permanent two wheels to the back of the bike and removes the bike’s back wheel completely. You no longer have a two-wheeled vehicle, but a permanent three-wheeled vehicle. No leaning into turns, etc. This is NOT a good option for a large bike without a powered reverse gear. You rarely see triked GL1100s and GL1200s for that reason.

None of these things are particularly cheap. I would think that the cheapest route would be a manual version of the landing gear type.

I don’t know what to tell you about sourcing any of this stuff inexpensively. Maybe Craigslist or something. I’ll certainly keep a lookout for something for you and give you a holler if I see anything.

And, one more thing. Thank you for your service.

Bob
2006 Arctic White GL1800
1987 Black/Grey GL1200 Aspencade
1976 Special Candy Maroon GL1000 LTD
U.S. Navy SWO (1967-1976)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 08:45 AM

Model: GL-1500
Post imported post

Owning an couple of 1100's myself and having had two back surgeries, I can identify with your problem of picking up a Wing, much less any thing else.

The one that I wanted that is no longer in production was the one John showed you in that video....The Landing Gear, but Hurricane Katrina took them out and they never reopened their plant...One more option open to you might be to "Trike" it...Several of our members have "Triked" out from one 1200 to several 1500's...They used Junk yard auto rear ends and while it does take money, and some welding skills, etc here is some links to a few of these build outs... Some even made their own fiberglass bodies and they turned out fantastic....Besides its a great Winter project too..

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/123252.html

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/98387.html

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum9/79845.html

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum9/91026.html

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum9/87035.html

OK that should give you some ideas of what you might be looking at..The only draw back to "Triking"out an 1100 or a 1200, is that they have no reverse....So Momma becomes your reverse!!!....There is a lot of reading in these links, but they are all members who have spent very little money to get some great looking trikes made...One is over a "bought kit", but you will get the idea of what your looking at...

Most people that buy and install these trike kits usually hang onto them, unless they just give up totally on riding...One more option is to check with your local Breaker, if they don't have one they might can get on the "wire" and find you one that might be damaged but as you said you can do your own work...These would be a lot cheaper and easier to find....

Good luck on your search....

THE NATION WHICH FORGETS ITS DEFENDERS WILL ITSELF BE FORGOTTEN

1982 GL-1100 Goldwing Interstate...Black Beauty
1994 GL-1500 Goldwing Aspencade...401K....

Honorary member Wild Rhinos

I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 10:06 AM

Post imported post

I had the so called training wheels on mine and loved it,You can see them in my gallery.They were exspensive but the good thing with them is you could return to two wheels in about ten minutes.They are the tow- pac brand....

Whatever throws your hair back!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 01:25 PM

Post imported post

Ever think about a sidecar? I've got back/leg issues too. You think a 1200 is heavy - try a 1500! Sidecars have their own handling issues, but I'll be hanging a sidecar off mine for much the same reasons that you're talking about. Big hint - 1500s have a reverse... pretty darned handy in some situations. If you plug in "sidecar" here you'll find plenty of very useful info. Recommend also checking out the USCA: http://www.sidecar.com/

RCAF - serving

Spending my daughter\'s inheritance one motorcycle at a time :^) In that spirit, bought a Kawasaki... KLR650 sidecar rig.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I am dealing with a fully loaded 1981 GL1100 and probably won't find any suitable anytime soon, I WISH I had a reverse gear as well as a 6th gear, I am likely going to follow a suggestion given here and shave a couple inches off the saddle top; but thank you for the input.

This winter I am planing to tackle some mechanical issues. wish me luck!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 08:57 PM

Model: 1976 LTD (X2) (two apart in VIN)..... 2008 Pearl White
Post imported post

Before I get jumped all over (you konw who you are), this is MY opinion based on ME riding a friends bike that I installed a landing gear on (not me calling someone else).

Unless you can put your feet down before you take off from a stop, DON'T get them. Most roads have a 'crown' to help shed water, and the landing gear will put the bike at an angle, and as soon as you lift them you ARE TURNING hard right. I almost wrecked the bike, brought it back over to him and offered to remove them. He road the bike and dumped it.

Get a sidecar, full trike kit, or other device that will allow the bike to lean.

Bill
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I can reach the ground alright but, I have a hard time of it when pushing it backwards.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 09:51 PM

Model: 1976 LTD (X2) (two apart in VIN)..... 2008 Pearl White
Post imported post

Sorry to ask, but are the tires properly inflated, head bearings and swing arm bearings good? If bad these items will make the bike handle poorly.

Also, I have never seen a landing gear made for a 1100 (not to say they don't exist), and a trike 'kit' might be rare too. A sidecar might be the cheap way to go to get extra stablity, and remember that theyNEED to be installed with care to get them correct, but you will still have the 'back-up' issue to deal with.

Bill
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page