Remorse, Regrets and Expectations - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

This weekend is my last scheduled MSF class for this year. I will miss the camaraderie of my fellow instructors, the eager faces of the new students, the satisfaction I feel when I realize a student has finally understood and is doing it right. I regret that my teaching skills will become rustymy students will not receive my best inthe first class or two next year.

I am looking forward to having every weekend free to experience the crisp winter air riding to my heart's content! Next year will also mark my last year as an employed person; 2013 will bring retirement and hopefully, a more active outdoor lifestyle!

A life's work will be done, yet a new life is waiting in the wings. Waiting to take me places I've never been, a lifestyle I've never had. The allure of this freedom is intoxicating!

Remorse, regrets; yet the expectation of something, hopefully exciting, refreshing, fulfillingeven scary.

Dubs

GL1500 Valkyrie
Work for tomorrow, live for today.
Live life like you mean it!
American Legion Member
Patriot Guard Rider Member
Vietnam Veteran 68/69
MSF Instructor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 09:19 AM

Model: 1999 1500SE Motortrike
Post imported post

I envey you Dubsie. I can say this, I was going nuts when I had no job! Opened up a restoration shop, just to dabble in the old stuff. Now I'm busier than I EVER was! Nope. No retirement in my future. They'll probly find me laying next to my tablesaw someday! Congrats on finishing your job, and I hope you do all the things you ever wanted. Best to ya, jimsjinx
bobalou likes this.

"We are put here, to take care of each other"
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 09:31 AM

Model: 1500 & 1800
Garage
Post imported post

First, congratulations on yet another milestone in your life.

I will say to you what I said to the instructors of our MSF class, Leave knowing that the knowledge and techniques tough to us will far out last the pay that you received for doing it, but the joy of riding is shared. Those students in your first couple of classes....... If they can learn just a small percentage of what you know, they are much better off. However I suspect they will learn more than that.

Im sure your retirement will be as rewarding for you as your whole life as been till now. You have earned your freedom, enjoy!

2012 Gl1800 Trike w/Hannigan Kit. 16000
2001 GL1800 ........ 73000 Miles
1989 GL1500 ...... 133000 miles and climbing

Darksider #551 - Austone Taxi Tire / Yokohama
Honorary Rhino.......

Honorary Newfie!! I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" so I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.

Life is Hard.......... It's even Harder if your Stupid.......... Don't ask me how I know.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 09:35 AM

Model: 88 & 95SE 1500's, 82 1100I, 80 1100, etc..
Post imported post

Well, if your worried about getting a bit rusty on the teaching skills I'll ride down there and you can teach me how to ride the twisties better on the weekends for awhile. LOL

I am rather headstrong and set in my ways on a few things though, I insist on parking my bikes in First gear or reverse always, but other than that....

Enjoy the vacation and riding, and congratulations on the 1 more year to retirement.

Chromo

I ride for FOOD

99 SE 1500, Also riding now, Red ( Second fastest color)
95 SE 1500, riding now, Purple (the fastest color)
88 1500 recovering from deer hit, Phantom Gray (Most expensive color )
82 1100 riding sometimes, Red
Also 80 1100 naked and 86 1200 Interstate, not running yet.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 11:50 AM

Year: 75,83I,86SEi,93A,94SE,03ABS
Model: 94SE 209000 miles
Post imported post

Chromo wrote:
Quote:
....I insist on parking my bikes in First gear or reverse always,.....

You got reverse now ?

Mike
NASSIR 1
NASSIR 6
NASSIR 7
NASSIR 8
NASR 10 Good times!
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 12:05 PM

Post imported post

I've always had reverse.

It's that little idler gear that turns the engine that's broke so starter won't start it, and I have to roll start.

Reverse works great LOL

Chromo

I ride for FOOD

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

We only have them park them in neutral the first day for safety reasons. The second day we tell them to park in first gear, or in your case 1st or reverse!

I want to thank all of you for your well wishes! I still have an entire year to go. If it passes as fast as this year has it will be here before I know it.

Come on to Knoxville and we will ride the twisties; but I doubt that I can teach anyone how to ride them. I like slow and easy for the most part. Even when I ride hard, it is still very conservative to most rider's standards!

I do hope each student receives the very best we can give them. Their lives are at stake and we do not take that lightly. Their first 2 years are critical to their survival and the tools we give them are to get them thru that two year window.

I want to involve myself more in the American Legion, Patroit Riders and other groups that are important to me. So I don't think I will lack for things to do!

Thanks again!

Dubs

GL1500 Valkyrie
American Legion Member
Vietnam Veteran 68/69
MSF Instructor
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 01:24 PM

Post imported post

Dubswing wrote:
Quote:
We only have them park them in neutral the first day for safety reasons. The second day we tell them to park in first gear, or in your case 1st or reverse!

Come on to Knoxville and we will ride the twisties; but I doubt that I can teach anyone how to ride them. I like slow and easy for the most part. Even when I ride hard, it is still very conservative to most rider's standards!

Yea I can see the safety reasons with possibly new riders pretty easy.

Well, I have to see how I am doing money wise, but I can probably ride to Knoxville soon and maybe camp out a weekend.

I was going to buy 2 more wings. 1 seller is going to keep his, I prefer that anyway, he was going to sell too cheap and if there is hope he can ride again and it keeps his spirits up that's fine by me. I did not need the wing anyway and I'd rather he be able to keep it.

Now I have to see if I am still buying the second wing or not. I'd like to have it, but not that important to me really.

I had sold my 82 1100 to my best friend early this year, when I got my 1500. It was a no money down deal, he was supposed to pay me $300 a month for a few months, what he offered. Well I gave him the title but I never got any money, so he gave me the title back yesterday since I'll need it to ride while I work on my 1500 later during winter.

I guess things are working out ok. Not great, but ok. LOL

Make sure the wife has decent heat in the house with the wood burner if it turns cold, and I am about ready to ride again.
HI HO the old gray mare!

Chromo

I ride for FOOD

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 01:56 PM

Post imported post

Congratulations Dubs. It seems like you have put some thought into your future and are prepared, which is a positive thing.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Ben,

I have worked hard and God has blessed me to be able to be in a position to retire in a little over a year. I want to give back a little to my community and my country. So I plan to devote some time in those areas. Have some fun riding is definitey on my list and making sure Lois is taken care of. Between her, riding, teachingand the other things I mentioned, I should be able to stay as busy as I want.

Chromo, I will be in Fairview, TN., which is 20 miles West of Nashville the evening of Friday 11-11-11. Will be staying at the Deerfield inn at the 182 exit on I-40 for the weekend. A group of us will be riding local roads up thru the Land Between the Lakes into Kentucky. Ride with us if you want to.

Dubs

GL1500 Valkyrie
American Legion Member
Vietnam Veteran 68/69
MSF Instructor
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page