Heated jacket liners - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Does anyone have any experience with the AerostichWindstopper heated jacket liner? I wore mine today for the first time. It was 51 degrees. I could barely tell that it was on. My friend has the same heat controller as I do and had his 25 year old Widder vest on 3 and had to turn it off. I never took mine off of 9 (the highest setting). I am not satisfied at this time. I am not dissingAerostich. I haven't talked to them yet. I'm just asking if anyone else had this experience.

"Fire all of your guns at once and explode into space"

Remember, when using any forum, that owning a keyboard and having an internet
connection does not make anyone an expert.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 08:14 PM
Just another ORF!

Model: 92 1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

The trick to getting lots of heat out of your jacket liner is to wear a long sleeve T under it and then a tight fitting jacket overtop of it. (They are meant to be worn underneath another garment)

If your outerriding jacket has adjustable 'take up' on your sleeves, (forearms and biceps area)tighten the sleeves right up. If the heated jacket liner fits loosely over your body, you won't get much heat 'transfer'

While my leather jacket is fairly snug, both in the body and the arms .....

.... my Tourmaster 3/4 lengthriding jacket has adjustable 'take ups' on the sleeves and waist (Velcroe strips) which snugs the outer riding jacket in tight and is a warmer combination.

Today was 20* out when I left the house and it reached a high of 40. I put on close to 400 miles today and never had my heat controller (variable type) past 1/3rd

1992 1500 Aspencade - 213,178 showing on the clock

- just another Rider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"anyone can go fast on a straightaway" - Dusty Boots

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Dusty, Thanks for the input. What kind of liner do you have.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 09:00 PM
Just another ORF!

Garage
Post imported post

I have a Tourmaster Synergy heated jacket liner. It has elastic panels on the sides to keep the jacket snug to the torso, but my gut interferes with that a bit.

It sees a lot of use. I take it with me on mytours as high mountain passes can be chilly/cold in the shoulder seasons and fends of the damp coolness of Sept rains in the east. It also does double duty as I wear it around camp/off bike when the temps drop. Nice Jacket that's stood up well.

While the elastic panels on the side do a pretty good job of keeping the torso of the jacket snug against you, those same elastic panels let any breeze in, creating a cool/cold spot. Not a problem under either my leather, or textile Tourmaster jacket, but when I wear it under my Tourmaster Mesh jacket, I have to wear the TM's water/windproof liner over the heated jacket liner, to stop the breeze from coming in through those elastic panels, which works well then. My heated jacket liner, theMesh riding gear (withwater/windproof liners) aremy 'mainstay' riding outfit for 3 season use while on tour, or until the temps drop constantly to < freezing every morning, at which time I switch over to one of my other 'outfits'

Also, the Tourmaster's proprietaryheat controllers are a piece of junk. Lots of problems with them crapping out after very little use. (Google it)Mine crapped out on me the 2nd day, so I found a jumper wire'fix' that allowed me to use the Firstgear/Warm&Safe heat controller, instead

- just another Rider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 09:36 PM
Forum Diplomat

Post imported post

I don't even have a liner.... I'm a cheap sucker, and I have an old Widder Vest. The trick is to wear a long sleeve wicking t-shirt, the vest, and then a heat-capturing garment on top of the vest -- I use a down vest or an old down jacket -- and then a riding jacket over the all.....

For a control I use a simple inline on/off rocker within easy reach; when I'm cold, I turn the vest on, and when I'm hot, I turn it off....

Easy-peasy, cheapie-cheapie!

First name: Mel (Red\'s: Sandy)

"It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to." (Bilbo Baggins)
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 11:23 AM

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Post imported post

Not sure what you were wearing as under garments but as Dusty stated you need to wear a long sleeve shirt as a base layer. I normally wear a long sleeve long john type shirt then the heated jacket liner with a snug fitting wind/water proof shell over that. Very seldom turn jacket linerup over the quarter mark on the heat dial. I have a Gerbing liner.

On colder days below freezing I wear a wind proof shell with liner over the heated liner.

Give it a shot and see how that works out for you. Let us know. I'd be curious to see if that was the issue.

Don (Parman)

"Sappers Lead the Way"
US Army (Retired)
101st Airborne Division (Ft Campbell KY)
1st Calvary Division (Ft Hood TX)
2nd Inf Division (Korea)
54th Engineer Bn (Germany)
Member of Patriot Guard Riders IL/WI

Honorary Wild Rhino

Honorary Newfie!! I have kissed the Cod (trout)downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw", so I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.

95 1500 SE
Mileage: 103472

2010 GL1800
Mileage: 3604
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks to all for the input. I think I have a bad liner. Either designed bad or defective. I have not heard yet from anyone who has an Aerostich liner. I was wearing a T shirt under it. I was wearingaFieldshear textile 3/4 length jacket with a rain proof liner and the quilted liner in place over it. My jacket is a tight fit. It was over 50 degrees. I have a digital EXO2 digital controller. It has digital settings from 0 to 9. I had it set on 9. Other than the collar, heat from the liner was barely detectable. I am probably (prolly) going to return it.

Thanks again.

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 06:38 AM
Best looking member

Year: 1997
Make: Honda, is there any other?
Model: 1997 SE. Pearl Green
Post imported post

I don't know Dusty, I am beginning to think you only reply to these posts so you can show more pictures of yourself. Great having lunch with you last week. We will have to do it again soon.

Pearl Green(The Intelligent colour)

No question A.T.G.A.T.T. (Even when it's stinking hot!!)
And if it's too stinking hot to gear up, it's too stinking hot to ride.

If your not man enough to take the lead, stop complaining from behind.

I SURVIVED NASSIR 9.... barely.

To all of the troops and Vets. Thank you. I will never forget.

A proud Wild Rhino(Ontario) since 18 Jul 2013 (That mating sound thing really works!!)
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Just another ORF!

Garage
Post imported post

Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
I don't know Dusty, I am beginning to think you only reply to these posts so you can show more pictures of yourself. Great having lunch with you last week. We will have to do it again soon.
Ya ... maybe so if I was good looking, Chuck!

Agreed and remember, next one's on me!

- just another Rider

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Banned

Post imported post

FeButter wrote:
Quote:
Thanks to all for the input. I think I have a bad liner. Either designed bad or defective. I have not heard yet from anyone who has an Aerostich liner. I was wearing a T shirt under it. I was wearingaFieldshear textile 3/4 length jacket with a rain proof liner and the quilted liner in place over it. My jacket is a tight fit. It was over 50 degrees. I have a digital EXO2 digital controller. It has digital settings from 0 to 9. I had it set on 9. Other than the collar, heat from the liner was barely detectable. I am probably (prolly) going to return it.

Thanks again.
Maybe the controller has issue, or there is a broken wire in the liner somewhere. I'd guess evidence of it would show somewhere. If the warranty is still good, replace it. If not, start hunting for that break.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page