I NEED YOUR TIPS ON HOW TO BE A SAFE RIDER - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Well it's New Years day, and my New Year's resolution is to not put it off any longer. I have been collecting tips for being a safer rider for some time now, and I am going to put them in a manual for m/cyclists.

I need everyone to post their favourite safety tips to this thread. If you have just 1 I would like it. If you have a whole list, even better.

I will edit them all and combine them with all the others I have/will get, into a well laid out advanced training manual for m/cycle riders who want to live long, accident free lives!

I got the idea to do this about a year ago when I saw a long list of "how to ride safely" ideas on a blog. Like all other m/cyclists out there I thought that I knew it all, as I have been riding for 49 years accident free. Well the truth is nobody knows it all - I was amazed at how many tips there were in that list that I had never even thought of!

So I would like to give this back to every m/cyclist out there. I will make it available on line for anybody to read who is prepared to admit that just maybe they don't know it all! If I can save even 1 life by doing this, it will be worth all the time and effort!

So please reply and post all your tips - I can't do this without your help - every one of you! Also, if you know of the location of any lists of tips like this already posted on another blog, please let me know the location so I can include anything that I don't already have.

Take care, Happy New Year, and let's all ride a little safer!

Steve.

2012 Honda Goldwing, red and silver
Bike\'s name is Golden Dakota (after my Golden Retriever)
Riding for 50 years
Wife & I both big time Motorcycle Touring Enthusiasts!
Previous bikes:
\'62 Itom 50cc sport
\'63 Honda 50cc sport
\'65 Honda 90cc sport
\'82 Honda 750cc V4 Sabre
\'09 Yamaha 1300cc VStar
\'10 Kawasaki 1700cc Vulcan Nomad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 10:00 PM

Year: 83,88
Make: Honda
Model: gl 1100I, gl1500
Post imported post

I always do a walk about of the bike, another words a close visual check of everything that includes all fluid levels, then a quick check on lights and brakes before starting the bike and if tires look low I check them with a gauge.then start the bike let it warm up alittle and listen for any foriegn noises then if ok go for a ride.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 10:37 PM

Post imported post

As you are riding, pay attention to stale green signals. This is a signal that has been green for your approach for some time, maybe for as long as you had it in sight. It is likely to turn red, especially if there is a vehicle on one of the side street approaches. In this case you should be prepared to stop for a red signal.

You are entitled to your own opinions, not your own facts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 10:46 PM

Garage
Post imported post

what ive noticed its to get on the bike with one mind set ride it like your invisible

thats how i ride i dont expect anyone to see me 99percent of the time its "i didnt see you"

so i am a super defensive rider when i come up to a stop sign or a intersection i just put on a retard cap to imagine how dumb people can drive and most of the time im correct.

i am the current president of the non punctuators and bad spelling motorcycle group

post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 11:06 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

+1 on the previous.

I have a habit of riding back from the vehicle in front of me allowing me time to see what they see and to react in time to prevent a collision. Never follow anything so close you are focusing on that vehicle/bike more than you are on reading the road.

Never stop close to the white line, stay back a full vehicle's length. 2 reasons. Left turners will cut into your space, you need it for an Escape Route if a following vehicle is about to run over you. Watch your mirrors all the time.

never start out first across the intersection, let others be your "firewall" for red light runners.

Always keep your mirrors "working" by rotating your eyes around you. Stay aware of your environment. Keep an escape route open.

When stopping do NOT keep your bike straight/inline with traffic. That presents the least possible amount to see for following traffic. Stop at an angle towards your Escape Route.

If traffic is heavy coming to an intersection, weave inside your lane flashing the handbrake or footbrake to cause your tail lights to activate. The weaving causes a distraction to the following driver and they start paying attention.

never ride parallel to a large truck. You cannot see the right front of that truck or anywhere to their rear. A tire blows and hits you?? Or in my case, the driver needs an Escape Route and takes it out of your lane (Totalled my bike when he merged me into the center median wall)

Always have fresh water and first aid items. Snack bars, rain gear, tool kit, tire repair kit,

#1 though, is to keep your eyes open and moving around you. Do NOT get tunnel vision by looking only straight forward. That is deadly.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 11:09 PM
Piled Higher and Deeper

Post imported post

1- Take a MSF Course... and if you have taken the basic,
2- Take the ERC of the MSF (Experienced Riders course)
3- Read some of these threads...

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/...c.php?id=68714
https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/...c.php?id=67157
https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/....php?id=117009
https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/...c.php?id=32249

AKA "Jim"
---------------
Have a Gold Wing? Look at the
! even though they closed this one it has the best graphics and is valid.
---------------
If a man speaks in the forest and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?
---------------
2000 GL1500SE
1983 GL1100I
---------------
But formerly San Diego, Terra Haute, Aiken, Oak Ridge, Tonopah NV, Pasadena CA, Aiken SC, Richland WA, and now back to Tonopah NV..)
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 11:38 PM

Model: 1981 interstate
Post imported post

Don't drink and drive
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 11:40 PM
Still a winger at heart.

Model: Sure wish I could ride...
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to UbarW
Post imported post

understand the bikes limits.

understand YOUR limits, and how they relate to the bikes limits.

it may outpower your abilities...

Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders-Id: 79170

Panel 16W - Line 33

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 11:47 PM

Model: gl1100 1980 mileage 150,000
Post imported post

Over here in the UK we have something called the institute of advanced motorcyclists. I took and passed there test some time ago and was a motorcycle instructor for several years with a local training centre for what was then the part one driving test.

I have to admit that I have not retaken the I.O.M test anually as they suggest but one thing I did learn from their programme is that their own Bible, if you like, is re written every year and their techniques change as motorcycle design and road law change.

Their main mantra is and will always be observation. Position on the road to allow the maxium view of on coming problems. The line in and out of corners for observation is not the same as the racing line. Speed aceleration and gears are all different too.

That all saidI do have accidents and in all cases I can say that it was my lack of observation that contributed, even in the worst one. I was hit from behind by a large van on a round about which I had noticed approaching at speed to join but I had simply not noticed he would not stop. You could say he was totally at fault as in UK law he hit me from behind and as such was totally at fault but still I had seen him some way off but not at the time made the judgement call to slow down and be prepared to stop even if I did have right of way.

I always taught my students that even in accidents that they could not forsee they would always have some fault and to look and learn from that.

Harsh but true.

keep the old girl on the road

1980 gl1100 A canadian import. mileage 150,000 +
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 01:20 AM
Senior Mem & Story Teller

Year: 2010
Make: honda
Model: 2010 GL 1800 comfort (buried after fire)
Post imported post

Have good riding skills and be sure and have medical and liability insurance if not full coverage to replace your bike. Never ride in your spot, always ride ahead, beside and behind your spot. In short you know where you are but need to also know what is around you.

I judge my riding as decent if I never have to stop at a red light. I always gear down, slow down and try to let the light turn green before I get there. I do not want to be a sitting target.

Life is a collection of stories we old people tell and hope a few will listen and carry them into the future.

There is a story to everything we have, everyone we have met and everything we have done or we will do or dream about doing.

We sometimes ride to forget, but hopefully we never forget to ride.

Illinois Patriot Guard

Honda SL 175
Honda XL 350
Honda CB 750 X 2
Kawasaki 250
Honda GL 1200 Interstate
Honda GL 1800 (my last and one of the last made in the USA)
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page