Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: Goldwing SE
Garage
Post imported post

As we really haven't had winter yet here in the Northeastern States, I was wondering. As the temps have started to finally drop, and still no snow, that means I can still ride. (maybe).

I have been toying with the idea of the heated seat, but I am more wondering if the heated grips are worth the investment.

I have ridden in the cold before and as I think about it, it's not the palm of my hand that gets cold. It's the fingers and knuckles, on the (get this) the part that is getting the wind on them.

So I am thinking, heated gloves, jacket liner, pants and socks. That should pretty much do it. But now, that poses a new question.

Each of these devices creates heat. That much heat will be a great draw on my electrical system. I am running all stock so far, do I need to upgrade anything before I burn something out?

Thanks in advance

USN RET
CT Patriot Guard
1997 GL1500 SE Pearl Green
If it ain't fun, why do it?

“Lest I keep my complacent way I must remember somewhere out there a person died for me today.
As long as there must be war, I ask and I must answer Was I Worth Dying For?”
[Eleanor Roosevelt]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 11:01 AM

Model: GL1100A
Post imported post

I would start with only a pair of Gerbing heated gloves. That's all I use, and when my hands are nice and toasty warm, the rest of me feels warm too. I own the pants and jacket liner too, but don't bother with them since I got the gloves.
The Gerbings have the heating element in the fingertips and thumb tip, and have a lifetime warranty. There are also heated insoles, rather than socks. I might invest in a pair of those as my toes do get a little frosty on the very cold days.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
Frank Zappa

1972 CZ175 (sold)
1979 DT175 (sold)
1979 CR125R (sold)
1976 XT500 (sold)
1984 CM400 (sold)
1984 KZ550 Shaft (sold)
2008 M109R
1982 GL1100 Aspencade
1999 VMax
2004 FJR1300A (for sale)
2016 FJR1300ES
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 12:15 PM

Post imported post

I also have the Gerbings heated gloves, but I find that if I use a pair of army surplus glove liners with them my fingers and hands are much warmer. Not much of a call to use them in south Texas but on those (rare)27 degree mornings they are nice and toasty....

Avatar: Republic P-47 Thunderbolt (Jug)
Gotta love that R-2800 and big ole paddle blade prop.....
I love the smell of 100 octane and oil in the morning.....
Just think, this is what the Germans saw barreling in at them.... (8) 50\'s blazin away....
Ride safe and watch your six!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 12:43 PM
Just another ORF!

Model: 92 1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

Get yourself the Symtec Grip Heater Kit and install them under your favorite grips.

No bulky gloves

No fumbling to connect glovewires together

No wires to run down your jacket sleeves

Can be used any time needed as they are always on the bike

Far cheaper

Along with my Tourmaster heated jacket liner, I use the grip heater kitwith a pair of unlined, heavy leather gauntlets and am good to go for hours in sub freezing temps. Team them up with a set of Baker Built Hand Wings, to reduce the cold air over the back of your hands for increased efficiency at higher speeds.

Having both the grip heaters and hand wings isone of the mostextremely versatile set ups on the bike. Block cold wind in the winter, bring in cooling air in the summer. The grip heaters are always on the bike, so you can use them to take out that early morning chill on the ride to work, or over high mountain passes without having to stop and dig out all that heated gear 'stuff' and struggle to get everything connected. (heat controller, wiring harnesses, heated gloves etc)

I have a pair of heated gloves, but as withall heated gloves, find them to be a real PITA to make all the connections, especially when one hand is gloved, so I very rarely ever wear them.

The grip heaters on the other hand are very easy to use, .... anytime....and when used in combination with the other two items, provide me with enough warmth to ride in sub freezing temps for many hours, comfortably.

I couldn't even tell you where my heated gloves are right now.

Dusty

1992 1500 Aspencade - 213,178 showing on the clock

- just another Rider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"anyone can go fast on a straightaway" - Dusty Boots

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 12:44 PM

Post imported post

I ride year round. I don't care for gloves or stuff like that. I wouldn't own a bike that doesn't have heated grips (even the 250 has a great set of heated grips)

I don't like tethering myself to the bike. Have headset and seldomly use the cable (feels like I'm tangled) except when carrying a passenger or a longer ride when want to use the cb.

I prefer the grips because even in spring or fall if the temperature drops on the way back home, or at night, or I picked too light of gloves. I don't even need to pull over to change my gloves, just flip a switch and in about 1 minute its like holding a hot coffe cup.

On the wing the only way I can use them at max setting is under 25 F, but I've never ridden below 10 F. It just doesn't get that cold here.

Gil
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 12:59 PM
Banned

Post imported post

kcid wrote:
Quote:
I have ridden in the cold before and as I think about it, it's not the palm of my hand that gets cold. It's the fingers and knuckles, on the (get this) the part that is getting the wind on them.

So I am thinking, heated gloves, jacket liner, pants and socks. That should pretty much do it. But now, that poses a new question.

Each of these devices creates heat. That much heat will be a great draw on my electrical system. I am running all stock so far, do I need to upgrade anything before I burn something out?

Thanks in advance
Option > Hippo Hands

...they keep the wind and elements (andhence the cold)off of your gloved hand and controls. A big difference in retaining any heat you employ. "Hot Hands" hand warmers are usually all that I need inside my gloves on the top of my hands using this technique, resulting in No Tax on the electrical system and plenty of warmth and comfort.

Dress in layers. Thermal bottoms with insulated jeans are good for me down to the teens for bottom-wear. Everything else gets calculatedby necessity and electrical system load. I've a seperate electrical system for my heated, wearable gear when needed.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 01:05 PM

Garage
Post imported post

I'm with dusty. Heated grips definately help and no fuss. Also Tourmaster is a great alternative to Gerbing. I have a tourmaster heated vest-about $100 including the temp controller-nothing else to buy. That and the grips are about all I need when worn with warmer clothes.

"Try to open your mouth a little WIDER when you speak..."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 10:18 PM

Model: 2007 GL 1800
Send a message via Yahoo to lordbradley71
Post imported post

+1 on heated grips, and air deflectors. simple, clean, and no hassle.

My life would be simple...but the people around me make it so damn hard. Things dont have to be complicated.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 02:11 AM

Model: 88 & 95SE 1500's, 82 1100I, 80 1100, etc..
Post imported post

I like the heated gear I have now.

Insulated overhauls keep me pretty warm in cold even not plugged in, for really cold I plug them in. I think it was 22F or 19F when I stopped for coffee on way home one night and I was toasty warm. I've warn them more often not turn on than I have turned on, but when the temps drop allot it's nice to just plug them in and warm up and stay warm.

The heated gloves also do good at keeping my hands warm in cold without be on. I do have hand and feet problems a bit in the cold and need to keep them warm. I've used the gloves with the suit but think they should be even warmer so got another set to use as just heated gloves.

I've only warn the heated socks twice but boy were they nice, though like the gloves I want then on a separate controller from the suit.

I actually get too warm in the suit with it on sometimes but want more heat in the gloves and socks at the same time.

What I need now is a Helmet warmer LOL

The wires for the suit and gloves are long enough I plug them both in before putting on the gloves.

I've done some pretty cold riding at times without the heated gear last 2 years, because I did not have any then.

The full suit is pretty bulky so for long trips I probably would not pack it to take unless dead of winter. I think the heated socks and gloves will always be with me though.

I do ride all through the night on long trips and some of those have been pretty cold on my feet and hands.

I got my gear used and not sure what brand things are, older style I think.
Glad to have it.

I was looking at other options but got this whole outfit for less than cost of other stuff ( stuff which I could not really afford either)

Chromo

I ride for FOOD

99 SE 1500, Also riding now, Red ( Second fastest color)
95 SE 1500, riding now, Purple (the fastest color)
88 1500 recovering from deer hit, Phantom Gray (Most expensive color )
82 1100 riding sometimes, Red
Also 80 1100 naked and 86 1200 Interstate, not running yet.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 02:18 AM

Model: 88 & 95SE 1500's, 82 1100I, 80 1100, etc..
Post imported post

Also thinking about heated grips like Dusty posted.
Those would be good to have also.
I do like that I can just use the gloves on my other wing also if I want though.

So far all the heated stuff has not been any trouble on my 88 1500 charging system. On my 82 1100 though I think I would only try to use the gloves or socks, maybe both, but not the suit at all.

Chromo

I ride for FOOD

99 SE 1500, Also riding now, Red ( Second fastest color)
95 SE 1500, riding now, Purple (the fastest color)
88 1500 recovering from deer hit, Phantom Gray (Most expensive color )
82 1100 riding sometimes, Red
Also 80 1100 naked and 86 1200 Interstate, not running yet.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page