Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   General Motorcycle Discussion Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5-general-motorcycle-discussion-forum/)
-   -   Road speed to gear ratio (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5-general-motorcycle-discussion-forum/386996-road-speed-gear-ratio.html)

heartofgold 05-07-2012 09:32 AM

imported post

Just wondering what is correct speed for each gear on an 1800 don't have a handbook, it's just to settle a difference of opinion with another rider. Would like to know what it says in the handbook ,

dedgar 05-07-2012 09:37 AM

imported post

Exactly what is it you are looking for?
Proper speed to up shift/down shift?
Top speed in each gear?

heartofgold 05-07-2012 04:11 PM

imported post

Correct driving speed for each gear in other words at thirty miles.ph what gear should be in etc, according to the Honda handbook

Waldorf 05-07-2012 04:38 PM

imported post

Surely like any vehicle it depends on the road conditions, driving one up or two up, towing the trailer, no trailer, are you going up hill, down hill on the flat, short shifting, medium shifting or giving it the full beans mode. I usually do all modes inmost vehicles I drive from bikes to cars to lorrys (Trucks) in American. The main point surely is to drive smoothly. The machinery & passengers will like youmore.

Regards, Tony.

heartofgold 05-07-2012 07:27 PM

imported post

Yea thanks for that but I understand that , I was just wondering what Honda advises about speeds for the different gears . Normally it's written in the handbook I just don't have the hand book . It was based on a conversation I had with another winger who was insisting that you should never go over 2500 rpm in any gear. So he gets into top gear as soon as possible and for the most part leaves it in overdrive or fourth gear and let's the engine just pull along at low speeds. Says the engine is well able for it so no need to keep changing gear all the time , as I do. maybe he is right but I seem to do the opposite and on some bends might be down in second with the rpm at about 3000.

wilf 05-07-2012 07:37 PM

imported post

I don't have a 1800 or a manual for one. But I never look at the tack for shifting on any of my wing's. I do it purely by sound and. feel. and some days I feel sporty and other days im laid back and shift lower rpm. I have only ridden a 1800 a cpl times but it had tons of power down low so it probly really doesn’t matter. In my mind it would be harder on an engine to run at lower rpm than higher rpm. to a point
wilf

DougW 05-07-2012 07:42 PM

imported post

If the engine were meant to only run at 2500 RPM that is where the redline would be.

rgbeard 05-07-2012 07:48 PM

imported post

heartofgold wrote:
Quote:

It was based on a conversation I had with another winger who was insisting that you should never go over 2500 rpm in any gear. So he gets into top gear as soon as possible and for the most part leaves it in overdrive or fourth gear and let's the engine just pull along at low speeds. .....
You know, not enjoying the engine is almost a crime.

That 1800 is like a turbine above 4K RPM.

As far as "recommended speeds" for each gear, I'm familiar with all the owners manuals of each model, and have never seen a chart.

The 2500 RPM guy may have come from "American V-twin" cruisers. :?

CaptainMidnight85 05-07-2012 08:22 PM

imported post

1891 Attachment(s)
heartofgold wrote:
Quote:

..never go over 2500 rpm in any gear.

Crazy-Talk, ..pure and simple.

DaveO430 05-07-2012 09:08 PM

imported post

I looked it up, never would have thought it. Honda recommends this.

1st to 2nd 12 mph (20kph)
2nd to 3rd 19mph (30kph)
3rd to 4th 25mph (40kph)
4th to OD 31mph (50kph)

Sometimes I run mine down to 30mph in 5th but that is just easing along on flat ground. It will do it easy enough but I don't like to lug an engine like that.