Modular Helmet - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Im looking at getting some modular helmets. Im curious as to what kind of helmets is the best out there. I looked at the Shark Evoline and really like that fact you can make ita 3/4 if you like. But I read that itis almost impossible to put a after market intercom on it. Anyone else have any advise on which one to get.

I also like the HJC Symax 3 helmet. Im kind of leaning that way right now.

Any ideas would surely be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Canada Bob

Year: 1992
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500A
Garage
Post imported post

I just purchased the HJC SY Max III and probably one of the most comfortable helmets I have worn.

Light and great vision, you can add a chatterbox to it and the venting isnt bad.

One of the main things I looked for was the chin bar hooks were metal.

You can go with a Shoei but you are stepping into another price domain with those

I would suggest you grab which ever helmet you think you want and (even though you may look foolish) wear it around the store for awhile. Make sure you have no pinching/rubbing/whatever else your head feels. Most shops have a no return policy as soon as you walk out the door with the helmet. (to qualify that statement, at least here in Victoria)

Proud Survivor of NASSIR 4
Retired Royal Canadian Navy Chief
HMCS OTTAWA, HMCS PROVIDER, CFAV ENDEAVOR
HMCS SASKATCHEWAN, HMCS KOOTENAY, HMCS HURON
HMCS ALGONQUIN (X3)
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." Christopher Hitchens
Honourary Rhino (got my horn at NASSIR 4)
Present ride
1992 GL1500A Cdn Ed.
Former rides
1976 Yamaha RD400
1978 Suzuki GS550
1982 Yamaha 750 Virago
1982 GL1100I (Marie)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 03:15 PM

Post imported post

I purchased the sy max III last month & have about 500 miles on it so far.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...ii_helmet.html

Everything said above is true. The only problem I have is a slight hot spot on my forehead after a couple of hours wearing the helmet. Sizing is very tight & if your head is between sizes, go up one size. I fixed mine by trimming the foam above the eye port. All is good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 09:54 PM

Post imported post

Check out the Nolans too before you buy. The new style headsets sounds like a bose system, and the helmets are very comfortable as well as having easily washable liners. I have the N-103's but with the new style headset and love them.

Winter is here, happy riding and stay safe !
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 10:38 PM
Goldwing Addict :-)

Model: GL1500SE, GL1200A
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Jluvs2dive Send a message via MSN to Jluvs2dive Send a message via Yahoo to Jluvs2dive
Post imported post

Kimswang wrote:
Quote:
Check out the Nolans too before you buy. The new style headsets sounds like a bose system....
Are you talking about Nolan's n-com headsets? If they sound that good I'm intrigued!

John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bought with just under 9000 miles on 08/19/2008

also
84 Aspy
84 Interstate
past
86 GL1200 Aspy
84 Standard
87 Interstate
80 Yam Midnight Special 1100
79 Suz SP400 Enduro
72 Honda SL350
81 Honda XR500
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 04:37 AM

Post imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
Quote:
Kimswang wrote:
Quote:
Check out the Nolans too before you buy. The new style headsets sounds like a bose system....
Are you talking about Nolan's n-com headsets? If they sound that good I'm intrigued!

John
Make sure it has the new style headsets. Easily recognized with a micro USB plug to the helmet, the older style has a 3,5 mm conventional plug. Don't try it without arranging the funds.......

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Got to looking at the Scorpion EXO 900 last night. I like the fact you can change it from a 3/4 to a full face modular. I think If I go that route Ill just get the helmets from J&M and have the best headset I can get from them. I like the clean looking install on the headset they do.

Im curious too was the headset you are saying sounds like a Bose, is that a J&M system or something else.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 09:33 AM

Post imported post

Check the Nolan's out, no cleaner install and made for it.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 10:03 AM

Model: GL1500, GL1800
Post imported post

wcleafs2002 wrote:
Quote:
...One of the main things I looked for was the chin bar hooks were metal...
> Good point... my wife's Zox (our first modular helmet) has Plastic chin bar hooks... looks pretty flimsy.

I void warranties

KJ6QFZ
Dark Side #590

GL1500, 1990SE, 220k miles
Front: Bridgestone Battlax BT45, 41psi
Rear: Austone 175R16, 50psi

GL1800, 2003, 60K miles [following virginity reconstruction]
Front: Bridgestone Battlax BT45, 41psi
Rear: Pirelli Winter Snowcontrol Series3, Run Flat, 41 psi
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 10:10 AM
Goldwing Addict :-)

Model: GL1500SE, GL1200A
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Jluvs2dive Send a message via MSN to Jluvs2dive Send a message via Yahoo to Jluvs2dive
Post imported post

Ledawg wrote:
Quote:
Got to looking at the Scorpion EXO 900 last night. I like the fact you can change it from a 3/4 to a full face modular. I think If I go that route Ill just get the helmets from J&M and have the best headset I can get from them. I like the clean looking install on the headset they do.
Be sure to go to a local dealer and try the helmet on first. I love my old EXO 600 but when I replaced it with a modular, I looked at the EXO 900 first and it did not fit me at all. I wear a large normally and the large EXO 900 put painful pressure on my forehead but the XL was way too big.

I didn't go with the Nolan because of the weight but I wish I would have. I bought a Shoei Multitec and I'm less than thrilled with it. It fits great but is lacking some basic features. Their new Neotec fixed all of that but is also $100-$150 more expensive too.

John

Bought with just under 9000 miles on 08/19/2008

also
84 Aspy
84 Interstate
past
86 GL1200 Aspy
84 Standard
87 Interstate
80 Yam Midnight Special 1100
79 Suz SP400 Enduro
72 Honda SL350
81 Honda XR500
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page