LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
SCB

Year: 1995
Make: Honda
Model: Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

With a Colorado trip planned this July, I'm replacing my 2006 Garmin Streetfinder. The new GPS will be used both on the bike and in the truck for work purposes. I've got a budget of $100 -$225 which I hope provides a decent selection.

This is the one I've been considering but is it way more than I need(definitely a bit more that I really wanted to spend) http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Portabl...dp_ob_title_ce

I like the thought of Lifetime maps although I've read that "lifetime" means as long as they provide updates, typically only 1-3 years. Is this true in your experience?

Lifetime traffic? I don't do much driving in major cities so I'm guessing that wouldn't be much use to me.

I do like the thought of being able to download preplanned routes from a computer, but never having actually seen a GPS that would do that, I have no idea how well that would work or if I'd use it. Has anyone used this feature, and would you recommend it?

I'm leaning towards the Garmins just because I've had good experience with them, unlike the Tom Tom and Harmon Kardon I've owned.

I've noticed many of the models have both a 4.3" and a 5.0" version. I'd like to go with the 5" one, but is that likely to be a problem on a bike? I haven't figured out how/where I'm going to mount it yet so I guess if anyone's got a good but budget-wise solution for that I could use some advice there as well.

Thanks for any and all help,

Steve

Current bikes
'95 GL1500A
'96 Magna (Karen's 3rd bike)

Former bikes
'72 Yamaha DT100 '72 Husqvarna WR250
'63 Sears Allstate Puch '76 Suzuki RM100
'79 RM125 '71 Honda CB350
'77 Honda CB550 4k 94 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
'83 Honda GL1100A '83 Honda GL1100A
'77 Yamaha XS750D '80 Kawasaki KZ1000LTD
'80 SR250 (Karen's 1st bike)
'93 Suzuki GS5000E (Karen's 2nd bike)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 12:01 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

I have several Garmins and all of them are still receiving map updates.

The oldest is my 2730 which I've had going on 10 years now? Can't remember anymore when I bought it. It updates just fine, every six months if I remember to do it that often.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 12:48 AM

Model: 2001 1800
Post imported post

Ive got the Garmin zumo 660
is water proof esy to put on and take off

Hard linked plug and play to my GL2WAY CB so it runs through the bikes intercom

The garmins bluetooth is linked to my cell phone so you can make and recieve calls through the bikes mike and intercom while riding

Make routs on the computer and download them to the garmin
has lifetime updates

The garmin also has music media with a 16 gig chip you can make
music lists on the computer than make a music list and download them to the garmin

You also hear the gps promps through the bikes intercom system

Darksider #1597: Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP 195/55/16

1968 175 Honda
I969 650 BSA Spitfire
1972 650 Yamaha
1973 900 Kawasaki Z1
1974 900 Kawasaki Z1
2002 750 Honda Shadow ACE
2001 GL 1800 (red..the fastest color)
GWRRA 350677

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 01:19 AM
Senior Moment Member

Model: 2004 GL1800A
Post imported post

SCB wrote:
Quote:
I like the thought of Lifetime maps although I've read that "lifetime" means as long as they provide updates, typically only 1-3 years. Is this true in your experience?

I have an older StreetPilot 2720 and I purchased the lifetime maps updates. I'm still able to get the maps and do so at least twice a year.

Lifetime traffic? I don't do much driving in major cities so I'm guessing that wouldn't be much use to me.

The lifetime traffic is supported by ad's that display on your screen. If you get one and don't want the ads just turn off the traffic reports and the ads will stop.

I do like the thought of being able to download preplanned routes from a computer, but never having actually seen a GPS that would do that, I have no idea how well that would work or if I'd use it. Has anyone used this feature, and would you recommend it?

With my old Garmin 2720 I set our routes before we leave and transfer them to the unit. Even though we may not hold to the route it makes it very easy to get back on track if we take a detour. It is quite easy to do and well worth the time and effort to learn how to use the software. You can even retrieve a track of everywhere you went that will display on the Garmin Mapsource maps on your PC.

I've noticed many of the models have both a 4.3" and a 5.0" version. I'd like to go with the 5" one, but is that likely to be a problem on a bike? I haven't figured out how/where I'm going to mount it yet so I guess if anyone's got a good but budget-wise solution for that I could use some advice there as well.

RAM makes mounts for most GPS's. I bought the RAM mount for mine and mounted it to the handlebars. Depending on how your GPS gets it power you may need to add in a outlet on the bike or hardwire the power connection. Mine takes 12V so that made it easy to hardwire mine to power , and then I use the AUX input on the 1800 to bring the sound into the intercom system. I bought a Kennedy (no longer in business) 2 way system that lets me use my iPod and the GPS on the same AUX input. The iPod plays and when the GPS has something to say it overrides the iPod. You might want to see if you can find something like that.

Even though my unit is "Waterproof" it was easily damaged by freezing. I had driven quite a ways in the rain and pulled up to the house. I did not put the bike away and left the unit on the bike. When I woke in the morning it had frozen out and the protective cover on the touch screen was crazed and peeling off. Cost me just over $100 to get it repaired. I take it in every night now even if the bike sets out.

It won't matter if you purchase a waterproof unit or not. A lot of the guys here just throw a zip lock bag over their unit in the rain.

Unlike the unit my wife has the one you selected does not play mp3's.

Good luck in your search.

2004 GL1800A Dark Red
Yes that is ice on the fender!!!
Darksider # 902

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 11:17 AM

Model: 2001 1800
Post imported post

the 660 I have comes with motorcycle mount...car as well..I mounted mine on left handlebar taking off the forward mount of the clutch and replacing it with the one garmin comes with that has a boll mount It did need longer bolts I have seen them mounted in center with homemade or bought mounts can post a pick of my mount if you like

Darksider #1597: Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP 195/55/16

1968 175 Honda
I969 650 BSA Spitfire
1972 650 Yamaha
1973 900 Kawasaki Z1
1974 900 Kawasaki Z1
2002 750 Honda Shadow ACE
2001 GL 1800 (red..the fastest color)
GWRRA 350677

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 02:15 PM

Model: 88 & 95SE 1500's, 82 1100I, 80 1100, etc..
Post imported post

Make sure it tells you the name of the street HY when it talks to you!

I been happy with the older model GPS I have but it got wet in major storm, I forget it when the tornado sirens went off. So the touch screen would not work though it should be fine now that it dried out.

Anyway I bought a new GPS for about $90 that sounded great with specs since I was about 300+ miles from home and taking side roads with lots of changes.
This stupid thing says TURN RIGHT but does not tell what road. Several times there were a couple right turns real close together and I had to guess which road, lucky I guess right, sometimes it was the second road not the first road!

2 or 3 roads on the right within 500 feet and it says Make a Right Turn, OK is that HY 54 or Hy79?? LOL

It goes back to Wally World for a refund!

Chromo

I ride for FOOD

99 SE 1500, Also riding now, Red ( Second fastest color)
95 SE 1500, riding now, Purple (the fastest color)
88 1500 recovering from deer hit, Phantom Gray (Most expensive color )
82 1100 riding sometimes, Red
Also 80 1100 naked and 86 1200 Interstate, not running yet.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
SCB

Year: 1995
Model: Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

Excellent replies and thanks guys. As nice as the Zumo 660 is, I can't justify spending that much coin for a GPS, especially since I still need to pick up some riding pants, some type of hydration pack (Camel Back or equivalent) and misc.

My take from your feedback:

- I was wrong about the limited lifetime map updates and that they should be available for years.

- Bluetooth capability sounds like a something I'd really want.

- Pre-planned map routes gets a thumbs-up as well.

- No negative feedback on going with the 5" models so biger really is better.

- Ram has several mount options. I like the thought of having it front and center, possibly toward the bottom of the windshield.

If anyone has pics of theirs mounted I'd sure like to see some.

Since there's no way I can swing the Zumo 660, did anyone check the link to the Garmin unit I posted? Any positive/negative comments?

Thanks again for your replies and keep them coming.

Steve

Current bikes
'95 GL1500A
'96 Magna (Karen's 3rd bike)

Former bikes
'72 Yamaha DT100 '72 Husqvarna WR250
'63 Sears Allstate Puch '76 Suzuki RM100
'79 RM125 '71 Honda CB350
'77 Honda CB550 4k 94 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
'83 Honda GL1100A '83 Honda GL1100A
'77 Yamaha XS750D '80 Kawasaki KZ1000LTD
'80 SR250 (Karen's 1st bike)
'93 Suzuki GS5000E (Karen's 2nd bike)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 10:29 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

I use Garmin's lead weighted bean bag mount.

I put Velcro on the bottom of that, and Velcro on the dashboards in the cars, and on keyswitch panel on the GL1500.

The GPS just sits there, dead center, below the speedometer and never, ever, tries to move or fall off.

Batteries died, flash failed.....

~ John

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 11:02 AM

Year: 2007
Model: 1800
Post imported post

My Garmin 755T (I think) has an FM Transmiter so it can be heard through the intercom via the radio.

US AirForce - Retired
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 12:37 PM
Goldwing Addict :-)

Model: GL1500SE, GL1200A
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Jluvs2dive Send a message via MSN to Jluvs2dive Send a message via Yahoo to Jluvs2dive
Post imported post

SCB wrote:
Quote:
Since there's no way I can swing the Zumo 660, did anyone check the link to the Garmin unit I posted? Any positive/negative comments?

Thanks again for your replies and keep them coming.

Steve
Yep, I looked at the one you posted. It's a nice unit for the price but you might want to know that it has no headphone/audio out jack, so you will not be able to plumb it into your bikes headset system easily, so you will be reliant onsight and being able to hear it from the built in speaker, and the bluetooth will be useless on the bike, unless you get bluetooth helmet headsets. It also does not have an MP3 player if that's important to you.

As for mounting, call up Mountguys and tell them how you want to mount it and they'll configure a mount for you. The first link below is to some of the mount possibilities for the 2595. The second link is to some waterproof cases they sell if you don't want to use a sandwich bag.
http://www.mountguys.com/category_s/4910.htm
http://www.mountguys.com/SearchResul...rch=waterproof

John

Bought with just under 9000 miles on 08/19/2008

also
84 Aspy
84 Interstate
past
86 GL1200 Aspy
84 Standard
87 Interstate
80 Yam Midnight Special 1100
79 Suz SP400 Enduro
72 Honda SL350
81 Honda XR500
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page