Won't start on the start button?? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Model: GL-1500
Post imported post

I'm putting this tip here, I hope is a good hint on start problems with the 1500's, I was going to put it in the Tech Forum, but it moves so fast that some experienciong the problems I had, might miss it...Trust me, Jerryk, 93Wing and myself worked on this "No Start" problem for hours before we finally found the cause and fixed it...

Right at this point 93Wing and myself are trying to get the 94 1500 I got from Jerryk up and running...One of the major problems was it had a wiring short, the PO before Jerryk had "Rigged In: a push start button from the local parts house...It worked but the button on the handle bars was dead...Jerry and I were able to start it by crossing the terminals on the solenoid, but couldn't find where this one wire went...

93Wing brought his meter over and for over three hours we checked and traced, then finally cut the wiring harness open in a couple of places trying to find this one tiny brown wire with silver rings on it...Couldn't find diode "A" or "B"...??? finally we found that wire after taking off the right saddle bag and tour box to where we could see....In the picture below areseven breakers and this one diode "bank"....Took it off and sure enough two diodes were bad, one was shorted out...I looked at just buying that one piece, lowest price I found new was like $65.00 to over $100.00.....This diode controller has eleven wires going into it, so it controls several items, I believe reverse too...

I found the following items at Pinwall Cycles for $9.95 plus shipping...Charles took it and checked it out again, it was good, plugged it in hooked up the battery and if cranked over at the handle bar switch.....Like I said I'm not exactly sure what all it controls but with eleven wires going to the diodes in it, my guess is that it might be the answer to some start, reverse problems...If I'm wrong then I've wasted a lot of time, but it did solve our problem...

The one I'm taking about would be the one on the lower right.....Now the carbs are offto see if we can find out where its flooding from and repair, or rebuild as necessary...My hat is off to Charles aka 93Wing for all of his help in getting that Wing to this point...

THE NATION WHICH FORGETS ITS DEFENDERS WILL ITSELF BE FORGOTTEN

1982 GL-1100 Goldwing Interstate...Black Beauty
1994 GL-1500 Goldwing Aspencade...401K....

Honorary member Wild Rhinos

I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 04:28 PM

Year: 2012
Make: Honda
Model: Level I
Garage
Post imported post

The diode assembly you are talking about is called "the reverse diode assembly" it does provide the ground path for the starting and the reverse functions of the bike.

Terry
9th ID US Army
Vietnam 68-70
Member of MOPH
Member of VV of America
Member of DVA
GWTA Chapter A, Oregon
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Model: GL-1500
Post imported post

Thank You Terry I just couldn't think of the name of it this morning...You are totally right.....I do know this for a fact if it has "blown diodes" it can cause you to start pulling hair...It did take us a long time to find that little sucker and I wish you could have been standing there when we turned the key on and cranked it over with the "factory" start button...Yeah it was a thrill.....!!!!!!

THE NATION WHICH FORGETS ITS DEFENDERS WILL ITSELF BE FORGOTTEN

1982 GL-1100 Goldwing Interstate...Black Beauty
1994 GL-1500 Goldwing Aspencade...401K....

Honorary member Wild Rhinos

I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 09:13 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

You can also make up a diode pack with some silicon power diodes. Just cut the connector end off the diode pack and solder in the necessary diodes. Connect them according to the wiring diagram in the service manual's schematic. I made up a pack for a bike I had in my shop when they guy needed it in a hurry. I molded some epoxy around them to package and protect the diodes. Worked just fine and the necessary diodes are cheap at Radio Shack.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 07:49 AM

Post imported post

exavid wrote:
Quote:
You can also make up a diode pack with some silicon power diodes. Just cut the connector end off the diode pack and solder in the necessary diodes. Connect them according to the wiring diagram in the service manual's schematic. I made up a pack for a bike I had in my shop when they guy needed it in a hurry. I molded some epoxy around them to package and protect the diodes. Worked just fine and the necessary diodes are cheap at Radio Shack.
When I hit the start button Claude had a grin from ear to ear, that made him a happy camper.

The manual is pretty clear as to how they are arranged and how they are connected together. Rest assured if this happens, to me or to someone else I am helping I will be making a diode assembly and encasing it in silicone or epoxy.

Avatar: Republic P-47 Thunderbolt (Jug)
Gotta love that R-2800 and big ole paddle blade prop.....
I love the smell of 100 octane and oil in the morning.....
Just think, this is what the Germans saw barreling in at them.... (8) 50\'s blazin away....
Ride safe and watch your six!

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 09:45 AM

Year: 2012
Make: Honda
Model: Level I
Garage
Post imported post

redbaron wrote:
Quote:
Thank You Terry I just couldn't think of the name of it this morning...You are totally right.....I do know this for a fact if it has "blown diodes" it can cause you to start pulling hair...It did take us a long time to find that little sucker and I wish you could have been standing there when we turned the key on and cranked it over with the "factory" start button...Yeah it was a thrill.....!!!!!!
It's always a thrill to repair something that has fought you or so illusive, electrical problems can be a nightmare. The best solution for these is the factory service manual with the electrical troubleshooting section, it has saved me countless hours of chasing problems.

Terry
9th ID US Army
Vietnam 68-70
Member of MOPH
Member of VV of America
Member of DVA
GWTA Chapter A, Oregon
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 05:34 AM

Model: 1997 GL1500SEY
Post imported post

And don't forget on the 1500 to check the reverse lever is fully home........

Guess how many bits I'd pulled off before someone suggested I check ! :wtf:

Ian
Founder Member and Former Chairman 2010/12, Goldwings North-West
Chairman, Federation of UK Goldwing Clubs 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1997 SE1500 Canadian Edition
The Green Machine
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page