Car tire on motorcycle - Page 29 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #281 of 336 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 01:53 AM

Model: 88 & 95SE 1500's, 82 1100I, 80 1100, etc..
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobe05 View Post
There have also been reports of what the OP is experiencing, that didn't go away...... Is not Pressure related, balance related, bearing related........ Not sure what it is.

I know I have experienced it on my 1500 and will be ripping it off the bike before it leaves the garage this spring. It seems the more it wears, the more dangerous it's handling ability is getting. Not every one has experienced this "squirrellyness" But for those of us that have experienced it, don't like it and either have taken it off or will be taking it off............ There is no fix to it that any of us have found.
Is that Austone your taking off still got good tread to be worth me trying it out? Or is it worn out?
Mine is not quite to the wear bars yet, but getting near. You know the miles I ride at times, and how I roll. LOL
I'm thinking if your tire still has pretty good tread it might be interesting to run it on my bike and see how it compares to the Austone I been running.
88 1500 and 95SE 1500, near 3 years on the same 1 Austone.
I liked mine so well that when the deer hit the 88 in 03/2012 I took it off and put it on the 95 about 07/2012 LOL
So I been running this Austone since sometime in 2011, off and on.

I have a new Austone in the shop waiting to put on, but it might be interesting to try one that has that squiggle a few people mentioned.
Just to see how it compares to the one I been running.
See if it squiggles on my 1500 also or not.

Chromo

I ride for FOOD

99 SE 1500, Also riding now, Red ( Second fastest color)
95 SE 1500, riding now, Purple (the fastest color)
88 1500 recovering from deer hit, Phantom Gray (Most expensive color )
82 1100 riding sometimes, Red
Also 80 1100 naked and 86 1200 Interstate, not running yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #282 of 336 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeddy460 View Post
Ran the tire pressure up to 45 psi, rear shocks up to 50 psi and had the same squirrelly ness. Ran the front shocks up to 8.5 psi from 3 psi and it made a huge difference. Still not as solid as before, but much better. That make sense?
I run my Austone at 48PSI and rear shocks about 70psi or so checked when sitting level and on tires, not on center-stand.
I know it says to do the shock air while on the center-stand but I never do.
I checked/adjusted it on center-stand before, then checked it sitting on the tires.
I read 70psi sitting on the tires then, so that is what I go by.

Front forks I just play with and not sure what I use.
My 88 did not have air forks, the first time I check the 95SE when I found it did have air forks it actually read about 60psi for some reason which is supposed to be far too much.
I lowered my fork air to a more normal 8-10psi but did not like the difference in the ride, and I still had an E3 on the rear then.
I think I settled on around 25psi on mine for the ride I like. Many people have said it's too high and I may blow my seals, but I figure it's still far less than the 60psi they first had and did about 8K miles or more before I even knew I had air forks!

Chromo

I ride for FOOD

post #283 of 336 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsconsin View Post
I WOULD LOVE to see a picture of those "still good" 32,000 miles tires ....

That would be an immense number of miles... Please take a few pictures of the remaining tread on those ..if you can't post them here then email them to me and I will post them...
[email protected]
LOL. No, the BIKE had 18k miles on it, I didn't mean to imply the tires did. They couldn't possibly be the original tires. But I've gotten 14k out of them so I think that is great.

Never slap a man who is chewing tobacco.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #284 of 336 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 04:52 PM

Model: 1500 & 1800
Garage
I;ll be ordering a new tire sometime this summer Chromo. The Astone is Maybe 1/2 warn. Maybe when I get a new tire for it, you can come over and we'll switch them out. I think that would be a good trial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromo View Post
Is that Austone your taking off still got good tread to be worth me trying it out? Or is it worn out?
Mine is not quite to the wear bars yet, but getting near. You know the miles I ride at times, and how I roll. LOL
I'm thinking if your tire still has pretty good tread it might be interesting to run it on my bike and see how it compares to the Austone I been running.
88 1500 and 95SE 1500, near 3 years on the same 1 Austone.
I liked mine so well that when the deer hit the 88 in 03/2012 I took it off and put it on the 95 about 07/2012 LOL
So I been running this Austone since sometime in 2011, off and on.

I have a new Austone in the shop waiting to put on, but it might be interesting to try one that has that squiggle a few people mentioned.
Just to see how it compares to the one I been running.
See if it squiggles on my 1500 also or not.

2012 Gl1800 Trike w/Hannigan Kit. 16000
2001 GL1800 ........ 73000 Miles
1989 GL1500 ...... 133000 miles and climbing

Darksider #551 - Austone Taxi Tire / Yokohama
Honorary Rhino.......

Honorary Newfie!! I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" so I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.

Life is Hard.......... It's even Harder if your Stupid.......... Don't ask me how I know.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #285 of 336 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobe05 View Post
I;ll be ordering a new tire sometime this summer Chromo. The Astone is Maybe 1/2 warn. Maybe when I get a new tire for it, you can come over and we'll switch them out. I think that would be a good trial.
Sounds good to me. Hurry up and get your new tire! I am ready to ride!
Been a long hard winter for me, not rode but once or twice since DEC. with all going on, health, weather etc..

To badly quote the Blues Bothers,
1/2 Low tires, 1/2 Tank of gas, Sunglasses, and it's dark out, I'm ready to ride!

Chromo

I ride for FOOD

post #286 of 336 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 10:33 PM
Oh - THAT guy...

Year: 2000
Make: 1500
Model: SE
Actually that is a very good idea! Then the issue can be narrowed down to the tire or the bike. That could be some very useful information.

Vote one for year-round riding! Austone Darksider PVT (Passenger Vehicle Tire)

Most recent Wing: 128k+ on the 2000 GL1500 SE (Just totaled) due to being rear-ended...
Current ride (for now) 2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Previous wings: '78GL1000, 13k mile '77 GL1000 (resto at home, neat story!), '81 GL1100 Interstate.
Previous non-wings: CB360T, Suzuki GS550L, Yamaha 650 spcl (first bike!), Silverwing 500, Yamaha Spectre 1100, VFR700F, CB900 Custom.
post #287 of 336 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpeters549 View Post
Actually that is a very good idea! Then the issue can be narrowed down to the tire or the bike. That could be some very useful information.

That is what I was thinking.
Best would be if I rode his 1500 and he rode mine as they are.
That way if his feels bad to me, but mine feels better to him, then we know it's not just the riders feelings too as far as handling.
Then swap tires, and do it again and see if the good bike handles worse and the bad one handles better or they both handle the same as before

Course it could take a couple weeks to fully test this way, so if Rebeca is willing to fix the bacon and eggs or sausage and biscuits in the morning for us scientists I'd gladly buy the hamburger and trimmings for her to cook at night for our dinner.

NO JOBE05, DO NOT TELL HER I SAID THAT!

Chromo

I ride for FOOD

post #288 of 336 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 02:01 PM

Model: 1500 & 1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromo View Post

Course it could take a couple weeks to fully test this way, so if Rebeca is willing to fix the bacon and eggs or sausage and biscuits in the morning for us scientists I'd gladly buy the hamburger and trimmings for her to cook at night for our dinner.

NO JOBE05, DO NOT TELL HER I SAID THAT!

TO LATE..............

2012 Gl1800 Trike w/Hannigan Kit. 16000
2001 GL1800 ........ 73000 Miles
1989 GL1500 ...... 133000 miles and climbing

Darksider #551 - Austone Taxi Tire / Yokohama
Honorary Rhino.......

Honorary Newfie!! I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" so I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.

Life is Hard.......... It's even Harder if your Stupid.......... Don't ask me how I know.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #289 of 336 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 02:28 PM

Year: many years, two different continents.
Model: 2035 GL3500 Intercontinental
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsconsin View Post
I had an interesting chat online with a Shinko tire representative - Here is the text from that chat
His responses are in RED

SE890 JOURNEY TOURING
STREET / CRUISER TIRE
Designed for larger touring bikes and cruisers, The SE890 Journey touring radial features a versatile all-weather tread pattern.
Econmically priced without sacrificing quality
Excellent ride and load carrying capabilities
Aramid belted radial construction
Tread compound designed for optimal grip and good mileage
Available in sizes for the Honda Valkyrie, and Honda GL1500 and GL1800 Gold Wing models

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
According to your website (excerpted above) these tires are approved for use on a GL1500 Goldwing motorcycle. The GL1500 normally uses BIAS ply tires? However This tire is a Radial ? Are you really advertisiing this tire for the GL1500 or is this a mistake. Please advise as I am considering this for my 1996 GL1500 Aspencade

We say we have fitment for the GL1500. That means we manufacture the size of tire that originally came on that machine. We understand that the 15 came with bias ply and we leave the decision up to the customer whether or not to change to a radial. What I can say is that many people have used these on their GL1500s and absolutely loved them! Even though the machine was designed for bias ply tires it doesnt mean you CANT put radials on. A radial tire is more performance minded and is more flexible than a bias. So if your machine was designed with bias ply you just have to make modifications to accept the radial such as stiffening up the suspension. I hope this info helps and if youd like please feel free to give me a call and I can help further explain this. .

Currently my GL1500 has stiffer than OEM suspension. As you may know the Goldwing GL1500 had softer suspension as OEM designed to make them absorbs bumps more
MY Wing has Progressive Front Springs and the Progressive 450 IAS shock on the rear combined with the air assisted OEM shock I can run it stone stiff or plush as I see fit.
So if I had these Journey SE890 tires I would stiffen the suspension to match the softness of the radial tires...?
What is the load rating of the SE890's - I missed that on the website.

Awesome! Those Progressive shocks make all the difference in the world! Yes, stiffen the suspension slightly to accommodate the radials.
Load ratings are as follows: Front load index 63 or 600lbs and rear load index 81 or 1019lbs, so combined weight of 1619 lbs

This has been an enlightening conversation and exchange thus far and I appreciate your time.
Do you have any field reports on tire longevity on the Goldwing? Approx expected miles before replacement?
I know conditions change bike to bike and all, however when I could get the Michelin Pilot GTs (which were the best tire I ever used on my GL1500) I averaged 16,500 miles per set over 4 sets I used...
My buddy & I have been trying different tires since them to find an acceptable mix of performance and longevity.
Bridgestones handle well, but burn up in under 10K
Avon Venoms last , but are too hard
Dunlop EIIIs last but slip a bit and are noisy.

I have used Shinko on a GS650 I restored this past year and liked them (Tourmaster 230's). But I sold the bike before I put any miles on them (about 300 total) .

Your thoughts please ?

Yes mileage is a tough one. What I can say is that on average I hear reports of anywhere from 8-12k. Ive also heard of people wearing them out in 6 and cases that have lasted as long as 22,000. Most important thing about tire longevity is tire pressure. Shinko tires are designed to be run at no less than 4-5lbs below max air pressure and if run lower than that they can wear twice as fast as they should.

An update....

Bought that 890 Journey Touring front tire, the 18" one, it was indeed a 63H and a 600lb. load rating, less than what I was led to believe, not as much as using a BT45 rear tire, I must have read something wrong on the Shinko website, or they are wrong.
But anyway it mounts decently, helps to heat it up first. Made sure inside of rim was spotless clean. Put circle at the stem. Its a new chrome 90 degree stem, I think it was lighter than the OE rubber, new one has two lock nuts on inside, I used red locktight on the threads. Did require a small amount of weight, may not have needed that if OE stem.

Inflated, set the bead, deflated and then filled tire with 2 ounces of a Dynabead substitute I happen to have lying around my shop. Basically a special sand blasting media thats either silicone carbide or zirconium carbide. Did some research and found out thats basically what balancing beads are, I have hundreds of pounds of this stuff left over from a special project over 10 years ago.

Had no problems getting beads through the angled stem, just angle the stem at a 45 degree angle. It will be maybe another month before the weather clears and I can ride bike though.

post #290 of 336 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 10:41 PM

First post so hope I am doing it right
Going dark Tuesday 9/25/14 had my wing a week

Last edited by AZgl1800; 08-25-2015 at 03:18 AM.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page