LinkBack Thread Tools
post #301 of 336 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 11:24 PM
Friend of Bill W.

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: 1800A
Garage
I just had to ask the question.

When I had my 1500, I wore out a couple of car tires on it, but there was some big debate about it back in the day.

I put a car tire on my Silverwing Maxi Scooter about a year ago and I now have 2500 miles on it. I rode over Beartooth Pass and the Highway to the Sun this past July with the car tire on the Silverwing and it didn't seem to have any problems. I am still alive.

My new to me 1800 Goldwing has brand new MC tires on it. I have to wait until the tires are worn out before I put the dreaded dark side tire on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For
Friends, Fun, Safety & Knowledge check out the GWRRA

2002 1800 Goldwing
2005 Honda Silverwing 600cc Maxiscooter
2007 900cc Kawasaki Classic LT

The Forum removes the time and distance between like minded individuals. It is quite the communication tool. I give great thanks to the owners of the board.

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.” Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 336 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 12:57 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Think I will go outside and lean over and ask my 1800 in a nice quiet voice, "are your tires safe?"
LarryInSeattle and Apatz like this.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #303 of 336 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 02:18 PM

Year: 1997
Model: Aspencade 1500
Garage
well very interesting reading. I bet this topic could go on and on and on..... Its your Butt on top of what ever you ride on. "if it feels good...DO IT"
Screw likes this.

Only a biker knows why a dog puts his head out of a window of a moving vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 336 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 01:42 PM
Oh - THAT guy...

Year: 2000
Make: 1500
Model: SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinseattle View Post
I rode over Beartooth Pass and the Highway to the Sun this past July with the car tire on the Silverwing and it didn't seem to have any problems. I am still alive.
I was riding a CB900 Custom two-up (towing the same trailer I have now) and blew the rear tire (sharp rock/road hazard) at the summit of that pass when returning from 'Jellystone'. It was an MC tire of course, brand new. I don't blame the tire (but would it have happened with the much thicker car tire? Hmmm...), I just remember that trip well! Beautiful road!

Vote one for year-round riding! Austone Darksider PVT (Passenger Vehicle Tire)

Most recent Wing: 128k+ on the 2000 GL1500 SE (Just totaled) due to being rear-ended...
Current ride (for now) 2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Previous wings: '78GL1000, 13k mile '77 GL1000 (resto at home, neat story!), '81 GL1100 Interstate.
Previous non-wings: CB360T, Suzuki GS550L, Yamaha 650 spcl (first bike!), Silverwing 500, Yamaha Spectre 1100, VFR700F, CB900 Custom.
post #305 of 336 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 02:30 PM
Friend of Bill W.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpeters549 View Post
I was riding a CB900 Custom two-up (towing the same trailer I have now) and blew the rear tire (sharp rock/road hazard) at the summit of that pass when returning from 'Jellystone'. It was an MC tire of course, brand new. I don't blame the tire (but would it have happened with the much thicker car tire? Hmmm...), I just remember that trip well! Beautiful road!
Leaving Yellowstone and going to Oregon, you were taking the long way around.....

Getting off that mountain with a flat wasn't cheap.

Of course with a car tire, the flat wouldn't of happened BUT, if it was a run flat, you could of run the rest of the way into Red Lodge to get it fixed.

For

2002 1800 Goldwing

The Forum removes the time and distance between like minded individuals. It is quite the communication tool. I give great thanks to the owners of the board.

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.” Ralph Waldo Emerson.
post #306 of 336 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 02:41 PM

Model: 2013 Goldwing
This thread could and has gone on and on. I have used both a CT and a MT, currently I have a MT on my 2013. Other than not needing to replace it for over a year, I really didn't notice much difference. There was something different when I first had the CT on and I was looking for differences.

When the current MT wears out I will likely go back to the Yokohama avid endeavor run flat. I did run the pressure high to keep the TPMS system happy. I was able to drag the highway pegs in the corners. I don't honestly know if this affects my mpg or my odometer reading and I don't really care. When the bike needs gas I get some. Miles only matters at resale, this is the last bike I will have, I don't care what my family gets for it when they sell it. None of them are interested in riding.

We all have to make the call ourselves whether to use a CT or a MT for most it is an easy decision in either direction. I struggled with it and will likely look at it again every time I need to replace the tire.

John, thanks for allowing the discussion to continue and weeding out the post that don't help the discussion.

Bob

Bob Simon
St. Paul, MN
'13 Goldwing Current bike as of April 2013!
'98 Goldwing
'86 Wing
'79 Wing
GS650 Suzuki
500 Enduro
post #307 of 336 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 12:03 AM
Friend of Bill W.

Garage
I think it is ok that this thread goes on and on. If it was closed, the subject would just pop up in another thread with a different name.

Good discussion makes for fine reading.

For

2002 1800 Goldwing

post #308 of 336 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 11:02 PM
Oh - THAT guy...

Year: 2000
Make: 1500
Model: SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinseattle View Post
Leaving Yellowstone and going to Oregon, you were taking the long way around.....

Getting off that mountain with a flat wasn't cheap.

Of course with a car tire, the flat wouldn't of happened BUT, if it was a run flat, you could of run the rest of the way into Red Lodge to get it fixed.
Actually, we hitchhiked back to Silvergate because I had no clue what was in Red Lodge and I knew I could at least get a repair back where we were. We wanted to make a big loop. Across the center of Oregon to Wyoming and back on that northern route through Montana, down through Idaho on 12 to Walla Walla.

The hard part was leaving the bike and trailer there and going back down the mountain. I thought some kid might push the trailer over and down those steep hills...

Vote one for year-round riding! Austone Darksider PVT (Passenger Vehicle Tire)

Most recent Wing: 128k+ on the 2000 GL1500 SE (Just totaled) due to being rear-ended...
Current ride (for now) 2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Previous wings: '78GL1000, 13k mile '77 GL1000 (resto at home, neat story!), '81 GL1100 Interstate.
Previous non-wings: CB360T, Suzuki GS550L, Yamaha 650 spcl (first bike!), Silverwing 500, Yamaha Spectre 1100, VFR700F, CB900 Custom.
post #309 of 336 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 02:46 PM

Model: 96 SE
I am up to about 17,000mi on my Austone. Still looks great. Still rides great. The E3 I put up front at the same time is singing along nicely when leaning now. I remember when the back was an E3 with the same amount of rumble, and oh man, it was rather loud. Not so with the little Austone. I should have measured the tread depth when I looked at it last week. I didn't, but guesstimate it to be still over half tread depth. I will probably replace the front next spring since it has worn down enough in the low spots to make the groove disappear. Then, do both again when the rear finally wears down enough.
IMO, the hoopla over MT vs CT is overrated. I am totally comfortable with the use of it, and have no doubts about its safety.
post #310 of 336 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 04:28 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sccaz View Post

IMO, the hoopla over MT vs CT is overrated. I am totally comfortable with the use of it, and have no doubts about its safety.
AMEN on that !!!

I have not noticed all that much difference with the car tire for normal riding as far as handling goes. It is dead stone quiet though, as compared to the E3 that came off, which would sing as soon as I leaned over a bit.

The E3 on the front now has a bit over 10,000 miles on it. It has a very definite wear pattern established on it. There is a flat tread about 1.5 inches wide in the center.

then there is a very sharp line denoting where it has worn off in the twisties. So far, no cupping evident that I can detect.

I am going to keep running that E3 until it becomes uncomfortable to me.

~ John

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page