Tire Review Shinko 230 Tourmaster GL1200 - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1985 Aspencade
Post imported post

jobe05 wrote:
Quote:
I had that tire on the rear of my 1200 and loved the feel, ride and the way it hugged the curves, it's an awesome tire. I hated the miles I got out of it, 8000 miles and it was as smooth as a babies bottom when I changed it. But for the price, I would probably do it again. I put elite II 491 on it when the shinko came off and it's like riding a rock now.

Next time I'll just order two shinko tires and pretend I got 16000 miles out of one.......... Best riding tire I hsve ever been on.
That's the thing the ride is amazing ! I am now calling my bike the aspencloud. I can't complain about the tires they replaced (dunlop elite 2's) except compared to these they rode like a brick but then again they were 14 years old and full of tread but with being that old I was not secure riding on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 07:58 AM

Year: 1981
Make: Honda
Model: GL1100I
Post imported post

I've got an 81 and 2 weeks ago I replace the front ant last weekend I replaced the rear both with the Tourmaster and Dyna Beads, and I will agree on the ride the Bike does track better. I had the Dunlop 404's and they where OK I got 8,000 out of the rear and 11,00 out of the front but the front side wall was cracking a lot, so I don't think I would go back the the 404's.
So far so good I plan on sticking with these tires.
and this is one of the few tires designed to carry the added weight of the Goldwing and with the 81 there aren't a lot of tire choices.

Kim H
WARNING: It has been reported that Goldwing riding may be habit forming!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 08:22 AM

Model: 1500 & 1800
Garage
Post imported post

mclock wrote:
Quote:
jobe05 wrote:
Quote:
I couldn't get the front tire to match the Rear 230 when I ordered them. I think they did have an issue with the fronts (oddly enough) and stopped making them at the time.

McLock: Was you able to get a matching front tire??
Yes, funny thing was they came from 2 different warehouses, I ordered them both on monday and got the front tuesday and the rear friday. The front was made the 13th week of 2012 and the rear was made the 5th week of 2012 so they are pretty fresh. I will post the link below of where I ordered them, I have a coupon code from both tires for 10% off my next order, if its transferable someone else can use them if they'd like.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...cle-Tires.aspx
My original order was placed with J & P for both tires, Front and back. They shipped the back but back ordered the front. Weeks went by and they could not get it. So I canceled the order and ordered through Motorcycle superstore. They didn't have it and via an email communication with a tech there, he indicated they weren't able to get that tire right now. So I ordered something different. That was June of last year, 2011. So that must have been when they had their issues with the front tires.

2012 Gl1800 Trike w/Hannigan Kit. 16000
2001 GL1800 ........ 73000 Miles
1989 GL1500 ...... 133000 miles and climbing

Darksider #551 - Austone Taxi Tire / Yokohama
Honorary Rhino.......

Honorary Newfie!! I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" so I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.

Life is Hard.......... It's even Harder if your Stupid.......... Don't ask me how I know.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 10:45 AM

Post imported post

I have no experience with them but I have two friends with Goldwing 1800s and they both experienced seperation problems with them. Two up, loaded on extended trips with new tires.

Dubs

GL1500 Valkyrie
Work for tomorrow, live for today.
Live life like you mean it!
American Legion Member
Patriot Guard Rider Member
Vietnam Veteran 68/69
MSF Instructor
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Dubswing wrote:
Quote:
I have no experience with them but I have two friends with Goldwing 1800s and they both experienced seperation problems with them. Two up, loaded on extended trips with new tires.

Dubs
Kind of a vague post but when I was researching tires I seen tires that were over $200.00 and up with separation problems, I really got a headache trying to decide what tires to get. I really believe people should post reviews and post in the forum the good and bad products for our bikes to keep the rest of us informed, ride, handling and mileage out of a tire are one thing and mostly that riders opinion but safety concerns every rider who uses that product. I'm loving these so far and if I have any concerns at all with saftey I will not be shy about saying so.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 09:57 AM

Post imported post

I had a set on my 86 Aspencade. I loved them. I got about 12k out of them.

Scott

Traveling fork rebuilding and motorcycle delivery available.

Fork seal tutorial
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

86 GL1200 Aspencade
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 10:34 AM

Model: GL-1500
Post imported post

In looking at Shinkos to fit my older Wings I found several choices, but for the 1500 I seen these tires, the SE890's.....and a few more, but input on those SE890's anyone ever run them????

THE NATION WHICH FORGETS ITS DEFENDERS WILL ITSELF BE FORGOTTEN

1982 GL-1100 Goldwing Interstate...Black Beauty
1994 GL-1500 Goldwing Aspencade...401K....

Honorary member Wild Rhinos

I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

redbaron wrote:
Quote:
In looking at Shinkos to fit my older Wings I found several choices, but for the 1500 I seen these tires, the SE890's.....and a few more, but input on those SE890's anyone ever run them????
I tried to find some reviews for you but only found 3, they are all positive but they have not put many miles on them so I'm guessing its a newer tire from Shinko. Sorry I can"t be more helpful.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page