Tire Review Shinko 230 Tourmaster GL1200 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1985 Aspencade
Tire Review Shinko 230 Tourmaster GL1200

I have never really had any complaint of any tire, I don't know if I'm not picky or just was too used to driving a Mack Truck over the streets of Chicago. I have owned over a dozen bikes and have probably had every brand that was ever made going back to the middle 70's and the only tire I really didn't care for was the Stones that came stock on my new 2003 LC intruder, only because they seemed noisy so I went to the darkside with that bike and also was a dark sider on my 2001 Valkyre interstate and I loved the car tires on those bikes. OK now to the Shinko I was at the local Honda STEALER looking for tires and they gave me prices and I said I'd think about it so as I was leaving a guy comes up to me and says I want to show you something so he has an 1986 Aspencade and he is running the Shinkos and tells me this is his 3rd set and he got 18,000 from the 1st two sets and his wife loves them more than he does and then his wife says she has a bad back and these with these tires the bike rides like a caddy, so I go home and start looking and I found 1 bad review out of hundreds so I figure for the price and the reviews I'll take a chance. I had them mounted today and only went about 120 miles but WOW that man and his wife were right the tires ride so much better and no road noise so far anyway.

I also got lucky by stopping at a little shop right by my house that I've passed a million times and the guy loves working on older bikes and charges 1/3 of what the dealer charges. I'm sorry this post is so long but I'm very happy and excited and found a great shop and have new tires installed that cost me $230.00 including installationwith new 90 degree valve stems, ahh life is good. OK back to riding on this 1985 Aspencade cloud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I also found this review which I have to believe is correct, if I have problems after putting miles on I will report back.

http://www.ridermagazine.com/gear/sh...-230-tires.htm
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 07:31 PM

Model: 1500 & 1800
Garage
Post imported post

I had that tire on the rear of my 1200 and loved the feel, ride and the way it hugged the curves, it's an awesome tire. I hated the miles I got out of it, 8000 miles and it was as smooth as a babies bottom when I changed it. But for the price, I would probably do it again. I put elite II 491 on it when the shinko came off and it's like riding a rock now.

Next time I'll just order two shinko tires and pretend I got 16000 miles out of one.......... Best riding tire I hsve ever been on.

2012 Gl1800 Trike w/Hannigan Kit. 16000
2001 GL1800 ........ 73000 Miles
1989 GL1500 ...... 133000 miles and climbing

Darksider #551 - Austone Taxi Tire / Yokohama
Honorary Rhino.......

Honorary Newfie!! I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" so I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.

Life is Hard.......... It's even Harder if your Stupid.......... Don't ask me how I know.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 07:43 PM

Model: 1984 GL1200 Standard & 1987 GL1200 Interstate
Garage
Post imported post

I have a Shinko 712 on the rear of my 1100 and so far I have no complaints. Lots of grip in a turn, but I am not sure what it will do in the wet. I am also curious to see what I get for milage but if I get more than 4000, I will surpass my last rear tire (Continnental).

Brian
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 07:44 PM

Model: '84 Aspencade
Post imported post

Had the Shinko's. Front tire had to be swapped out at around 2K miles because the casing was separating and causing a dangerous wobble. The rear was OK....great ride, horrible miles. I got around 6K out of it before it was slick. I think the softer rubber compound has something to do with the wear.

Mark
1984 GL 1200 Aspencade

To live you must be willing to die - Amir Vahedi

My father gets smarter everyday that he's gone.

I worried that I had no shoes until I saw a man that had no feet.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 07:55 PM

Model: 1500 & 1800
Garage
Post imported post

I couldn't get the front tire to match the Rear 230 when I ordered them. I think they did have an issue with the fronts (oddly enough) and stopped making them at the time.

McLock: Was you able to get a matching front tire??

2012 Gl1800 Trike w/Hannigan Kit. 16000
2001 GL1800 ........ 73000 Miles
1989 GL1500 ...... 133000 miles and climbing

Darksider #551 - Austone Taxi Tire / Yokohama
Honorary Rhino.......

Honorary Newfie!! I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" so I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.

Life is Hard.......... It's even Harder if your Stupid.......... Don't ask me how I know.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 09:40 PM

Post imported post

I've got a Shinko on the front of my Valkyrie right now (darkside on the rear) and I like it very much.

The Shinko has around 7000 mile on it and still looks good. Pretty affordable and durable too.
No complaints from me.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Xtracho wrote:
Quote:
Had the Shinko's. Front tire had to be swapped out at around 2K miles because the casing was separating and causing a dangerous wobble. The rear was OK....great ride, horrible miles. I got around 6K out of it before it was slick. I think the softer rubber compound has something to do with the wear.
Sorry to hear that, I hope I have better luck with them I am very good about checking air pressure and will kepp a close eye on them, I think if I got 10k miles out of them I would be tickeled because of the ride, the secure grip and lastly the price.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

jobe05 wrote:
Quote:
I couldn't get the front tire to match the Rear 230 when I ordered them. I think they did have an issue with the fronts (oddly enough) and stopped making them at the time.

McLock: Was you able to get a matching front tire??
Yes, funny thing was they came from 2 different warehouses, I ordered them both on monday and got the front tuesday and the rear friday. The front was made the 13th week of 2012 and the rear was made the 5th week of 2012 so they are pretty fresh. I will post the link below of where I ordered them, I have a coupon code from both tires for 10% off my next order, if its transferable someone else can use them if they'd like.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...cle-Tires.aspx
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 09:48 PM

Model: 1985 i
Post imported post

jobe05 wrote:
Quote:
I had that tire on the rear of my 1200 and loved the feel, ride and the way it hugged the curves, it's an awesome tire. I hated the miles I got out of it, 8000 miles and it was as smooth as a babies bottom when I changed it. But for the price, I would probably do it again. I put elite II 491 on it when the shinko came off and it's like riding a rock now.

Next time I'll just order two shinko tires and pretend I got 16000 miles out of one.......... Best riding tire I hsve ever been on.
+1 love the traction they have on wet road on the second set now.

I want ride Tire Joe
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page