Monday's Ride to the Highlands! - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I taught a Motorcycle Safety Class for beginners at Walter's State College in Morristown this past weekend. So I decided to take Monday off and get some riding in for myself. Got up early and rode to Tellico Plains for coffee and a home cooked breakfast at a small resturant that I frequent. From there I rode the Cherohala Skyway toward Robbinsville, NC. I had the pleasure of following a group of Harley riders for awhile. They set a liesurely pace as most of them were two up and were taking lots of pictures; obviously having a wonderful ride. They stopped at one of the many overlooks along the way and I increased the pace only slightly and practiced moving the apex of the curves to the last quarter of the turn rather than in the center. It gives me a better look thru the curve and sets up a faster departure. I also practiced entering each curve at a speed that allowed me throttle roll on thru the curve. I had a blast all the way across. I took a shortcut to Hwy 129 at the bottom of the Cherohala. A curvey bumpy chipseal road that winds it way around a small stream to 129 just below Fontana dam. I headed up 129 and at the Bike Resort on The Dragon I turned right on Hwy 28 and rode to Fontana Village. A beautiful resort nestled into the mountains smack dab in the middle of some of the greatest riding roads in the Southeast! Hwy 28 follows the Little Tennessee River, crossing it just before getting to Fontana Village which has horseback riding, bicycle trails, hiking trails, boat rides and a wonderful location for the many car and bike gatherings they host thruout the riding season. I made my way back to The Dragon, stopped for a coke then proceeded down the Dragon. I was surprised at the number of bikes out for a Monday. I wound up behind a couple on a cruiser that was traveling at 25 MPH and less. He was obviously over his skill level and very stressed as he inched his way down the mountain. I hung back and took my time. He didn't increase his speed much when he got to the lake below so I took a right on the Foothills parkway and rode over to 321 and headed home. 223 miles later, I gassed up in Halls, TN and was surprised that the Fat Lady got 39.74 MPG. I used a little over 5 gallons of gas and made the entire ride without stopping to refuel. Adding the 3 gallon belly tank to the Valkyrie really helps lengthening the time between fuel stops. Sorry, no pics on this ride. Maybe next time!

Dubs

GL1500 Valkyrie
Work for tomorrow, live for today.
Live life like you mean it!
American Legion Member
Patriot Guard Rider Member
Vietnam Veteran 68/69
MSF Instructor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 07:05 AM

Model: 1984 GL1200 Standard & 1987 GL1200 Interstate
Garage
Post imported post

It is not always about the destination but rather the experiences along the way. I had one of those rides Saturday afternoon and evening. A good ride just puts your sole at ease.

Brian
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 07:39 AM

Model: 2003 GL1800A
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Halfling
Post imported post

Sounds like you had a great riding day Bernie! You know, I think I should pack up and move to eastern TN!

John

2003 GL1800A Candy Durango Red
US Navy (77-93) EWC(SW)
Darksider # 817 (195-55-R16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP @ 29.5 lbs)
Co-owner
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Seek out that particular mental attribute which makes you feel most deeply and vitally alive, along with which comes the inner voice which says, 'This is the real me,' and when you have found that attitude, follow it." - James Truslow Adams
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Halfling, we would both loose our jobs. We would always be out riding somewhere! I love riding in the Tennessee/ North Carolina mountains. Wonderful roads with beautiful scenery. Great places to visit. Loads of history and, did I mention great roads to ride! I am at peace with God and the world when I am on my bike riding those wonderful roads. You will have to come over for a weekend and ride with me.

Dubs

GL1500 Valkyrie
Work for tomorrow, live for today.
Live life like you mean it!
American Legion Member
Patriot Guard Rider Member
Vietnam Veteran 68/69
MSF Instructor
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 02:33 PM

Year: 1978, 1979, 1985, 1995
Make: Honda
Model: GL1000, GL1000, GL1200I, GL1500I
Post imported post

The Moonshiner's 28 is a very nice ride from the Dragon Resort down to the Highlands. The road has it all; twisties, sweepers, waterfalls, etc.

D J
1978 GL1000
1985 GL1200 Interstate
1995 GL1500 Interstate
2006 VTX 1300S

Visit me at:
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 11:49 AM

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: '97 GL1500SE/ '98 Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
Post imported post

Dubswing wrote:
Quote:
I taught a Motorcycle Safety Class for beginners at Walter's State College in Morristown this past weekend. So I decided to take Monday off and get some riding in for myself. Got up early and rode to Tellico Plains for coffee and a home cooked breakfast at a small resturant that I frequent. From there I rode the Cherohala Skyway toward Robbinsville, NC. I had the pleasure of following a group of Harley riders for awhile. They set a liesurely pace as most of them were two up and were taking lots of pictures; obviously having a wonderful ride. They stopped at one of the many overlooks along the way and I increased the pace only slightly and practiced moving the apex of the curves to the last quarter of the turn rather than in the center. It gives me a better look thru the curve and sets up a faster departure. I also practiced entering each curve at a speed that allowed me throttle roll on thru the curve. I had a blast all the way across. I took a shortcut to Hwy 129 at the bottom of the Cherohala. A curvey bumpy chipseal road that winds it way around a small stream to 129 just below Fontana dam. I headed up 129 and at the Bike Resort on The Dragon I turned right on Hwy 28 and rode to Fontana Village. A beautiful resort nestled into the mountains smack dab in the middle of some of the greatest riding roads in the Southeast! Hwy 28 follows the Little Tennessee River, crossing it just before getting to Fontana Village which has horseback riding, bicycle trails, hiking trails, boat rides and a wonderful location for the many car and bike gatherings they host thruout the riding season. I made my way back to The Dragon, stopped for a coke then proceeded down the Dragon. I was surprised at the number of bikes out for a Monday. I wound up behind a couple on a cruiser that was traveling at 25 MPH and less. He was obviously over his skill level and very stressed as he inched his way down the mountain. I hung back and took my time. He didn't increase his speed much when he got to the lake below so I took a right on the Foothills parkway and rode over to 321 and headed home. 223 miles later, I gassed up in Halls, TN and was surprised that the Fat Lady got 39.74 MPG. I used a little over 5 gallons of gas and made the entire ride without stopping to refuel. Adding the 3 gallon belly tank to the Valkyrie really helps lengthening the time between fuel stops. Sorry, no pics on this ride. Maybe next time!

Dubs
Wow .... know those roads, and probably that breakfast stop if it's an elevated log style resturant. What a joy just reading your post and coupling it with some memories.

I know some preach about hittingapexes at mid turn and that's maybe OK on a race track where the environment around the next curve likely does not include oncoming traffic and good chance it's the same curve as was here last lap even ifthe view is obstructed (think "Isle of Mann").... but in road riding on public ropads, I do any apexes I do only when I can see the exit of the curve, and never before then.

I know that is essentially when you know where the last 1/4 is as you can now see it, so it isbasically just as you say .... just my way of determining it.

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )
GWRRA, NRA, & VSPA Life Member

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page