Rear end collision - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Post imported post

One of my biggest fears was almost realizedtoday. To me one of the most helpless things might be seeing a car bareing down in the mirrors and no indication of stopping. Today was a near miss for me thankfully but I was wondering. Maybe someone who took an advanced safety course could answer this. What is the best plan of action if you see unavoidable rear end collision about to happen? I've considered baling out but that might not be a good plan. What if the driver swerves that way to avoid the collision at the last second. Then I wondered if bracing the front wheel against the car ahead? Is there a suugested action if rear end collision with your bike is enevitible?

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 10:18 PM

Model: 1997 GL1500 2007 GL1800
Garage
Post imported post

I have not taken any advanced courses but I will offer what I try to do. I normally try to stop at least 1/2 car length or more behind the vehicle in front of me. I try to look for quick exit routes before I come to a stop and that will determine which lane I use. (I run scenarios through my head constantly about "what if" and try tothink abbout what I would do.)Sometimes the right lane offers the best (low or no curb, or right turn lane) and sometimes the left is better. I try to avoid the middle lane as it is easy to get trapped with no way out. I also try to keep an eye on the rear views constantly until the light turns green. I also keep the bike in gear in case I have to take off quick. If I am the first and only, I may think about taking off through the red light and possibly trying to turn. I'd rather deal with trying to explain my actions to the nice officer than take a ride to the local hospital or morgue. You have to think outside the box. Don't worry about lanes, red lights, sidewalks, etc... Do what you have to do to get out of the way.

I also try not to be the last vehicle in the lane waiting for the light to change. I will plan on making that happen long before I come up to the red light. I try to have at least 1 or 2 cars behind me as a buffer.

Bracing the wheel on the car ahead is absolutely out. That will pretty much assure you of getting crushed. Just try and make the right choices before getting to that red light to make sure that a rear end collision isn't inevitable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mike K.
Honorary Wild Rhino- Thanks Fly!!

07 GL1800 - Crucible Orange Metallic
Premium Audio/Comfort/NAVI/ABS
Converted to California Sidecar Viper Trike.

Darkside #1659
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 10:35 PM

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL-1800A
Garage
Post imported post

ph, has the correct answers.

If you take the ERC you will learn a couple things such as leave yourself an escape route. Keep the bike in gear ready to go just in case this type of thing comes up. Monitor your mirrors for the idiot who is getting ready to take you out. Waiting on an intersection is not break time, it's time to monitor your surroundings and make sure you survive.

I also agree with ph about lane choice, sometimes you have to take the center lanes, when this happens leave extra room and plan an escape route. I also do this while riding, I always look for escapes just in case.

once again I agree with ph, putting yourself against the car in front would be certain death if you get hit, there's no time cushion or space for that matter. Besides, if you don't get hit, you'll have to explain to the guy who's car you've been resting against what's going on, lol

Take the time and invest in a safety course. I do it every two years and each time I learn or re-learn something beneficial. It's well worth the price for the range time you get and the reminders of all the safety stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GWRRA 327965
Rider Ed Level 4 #8529 (Master)
Darksider #1491
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 11:14 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

+1 on what PH said.

To that I will add that I stay back the 1 car length and then I point the bike at my intended escape route.

This has the added benefit of positioning the rear view mirror in clear view of what is behind you.

I have used my "escape route" twice in my riding career. That full 1 car length open space I left was enough for the villain to wake up and slide to a stop w/o hitting the car in front. But, I would have received a nasty blow had I still been there.

On another instance on a 3 lane divided highway, I was following my usual 2 or 3 cars back at 70 mph in the far left lane. I noticed the traffic in front coming to a full stop. I already knew there was a car following me "too close" and I took my "escape route" and went into the median and stopped there.

Before I came to a full stop the car behind me slammed into the rear of the car I had been following and never applied brakes.

Plenty of cellphones appeared in hands all around me, I just kept going on and then saw what was wrong ahead. Another rear ender accident in my lane.

~ John

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 11:18 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

redwing52 wrote:
Quote:
Then I wondered if bracing the front wheel against the car ahead?
This would be your worst possible reaction. The bike is far too fragile to save you, it would instantly pivot the front wheel and you would be pinned between the bumpers of both vehicles and you would very likely loose your legs at a minimum.

~ John

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 11:25 PM
Master Sgt. USAF Retired.

Year: 1999
Model: 1999 GL1500SE 74,000 miles.
Post imported post

When stopping at a red light,(no car in front) I hug the left side of the lane as far as practical to avoid a car coming along side of me. (which has happened) I do the same thing if there is a car in front of me. I'm also (as mentioned previously) looking for an escape route. Bazaar as it may sound, I would rather be "side swiped" than "sandwiched" between two cars. My biggest recommendation? Install a "back-off" system of flashing and "cris-crossing" brake lights, when you apply the brakes. Hold a brake during the stop to keep flashing the lights. It works!

The physics of two wheel operation frees the inner soul.
Norm

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 11:27 PM
Busdriver

Year: 1990
Model: GL1500, 172,000 KM
Post imported post

Flash your brake light(s) as fast as you can. Better yet buy a brake light modulator to do it for you.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 11:27 PM

Model: 07 GL1800
Post imported post

Another thing I do is flash my brake lights when I see someone approaching from behind. Some drivers don't
seem to realize there is a bike behind another vehicle, especially at night when there are a lot of other lights to compete with.

Not here for a long time; just a good time!
07 Comfort/Nav
Double Darkside
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 12:27 AM

Model: 2004 gl1800
Post imported post

i try to leave 1 1/2 to 2 car lengths and try to pick out my fast exit path before stopping.

current bikes
04 gl1800
85 limited edition
82 cm250c

previous bikes
early 80\'s 500 w/ add on fairing
xl 250 enduro (wish they made them like this still)
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 12:51 AM

Model: GL1800 '06 GL1200 SEi '86
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Silverfox
Post imported post

That is the great thing about lane splitting, virtually no sitting at the back of queues of traffic, in the UK we just go around, or between the cars, to the front of the queue.

Pete

'06 GL1800
'86 GL1200SEi
'98 ST1100 Pan European, formerly owned by the Late Motorcycle Pete, Member and good friend of many on this site. Available for use by visitors from the USA and Canada.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page