2Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Village Whack Job...

Model: '81 GL1100 Interstate
Garage
Post imported post

The old lady asked me to go to the local Walgreen's to get her some Pepto.

So I roll the Wing out the shed and start up through the yard. The grass is a little long, and a little damp. Rear wheel spun and the rear end swung around and dumped her on the left side. Didn't stop at the crash bars. She went all the way over on her side. Looks like the only real damage from that was the left hand mirror got mangled. I roll back to my feet, pick her up and roll her back a bit to try again.

I get just to the top of the hill and the rear wheel spins again. Clutch, front brake and hold her there. No choice but to back down the hill again. I ease off the brake and let her start to roll back. Try to put the brake on a little more to keep her slow.

Front wheel locks up and I end up slamming into the neighbors fence. No damage to the fence from me hitting it but the... is taking full advantage of the situation so now I have to replace her rotten post to keep her from suing me.

So the wing is laying there on it's right side this time. Neighbor doesn't ask if I'm ok, doesn't ask if there is any damage to the bike just worried about her rotten fence.

The wheels are right against the fence. Absolutely no room to stand her up again. I know better than to ask the neighbor if I can dismantle the fence so I can get the bike up. I just tell that as soon as I get the bike back up I'll do what I can with the fence.

I have no one I can call to help me, and there isn't much of anything anyone can do anyway.

The bike just digs further into my lawn if I try to pull it away from the fence. Ever try to drag a thousand pound anchor through sod?

So I'm standing there, pissed at the boy for not cutting the grass today. Pissed at myself for not being able to get up the hill. And getting madder by the second at my evil neighbor.

Finally I'm so disgusted by the whole situation that I just let myself get pissed off. I let a little of the old me out.

I tell the neighbor " Don't worry about the fence, I'll do what ever it takes to fix it, just give me a few minutes to get my bike back on its wheels."

I turn to my old lady and say to her, "They can either be reasonable and I'll fix the fence or they can sue me and I'll set the f***ing thing on fire and they'll never get a penny."

The neighbor goes back in her house, but by now I'm all but seething. So I look at the Wing laying there, I look at the old lady and tell her to just stand back out of the way.

I walk over mutter "f**k it" under my breath and reach down and grab the crash bar and the trunk rack. I set my feet and and drag the bike away from the fence. it tears a tan inch deep bu four inch wide trench two feet long in my lawn. But it come far enough away from the fence for me to stand it up again.

I roll it back to the front of the shed and the old lady is not only incredulous but a little pissed off when she realizes I gonna make another run at the hill.

She asked me what I was trying to prove. I replied "Not a damn thing. I just want my bike out of this yard."

Cranked her up and she's smoking like a coal train. Oil ran into the cylinders when it laid over so long.

I hit out and get half way up the hill when the rear end lets go again. I just feathered the throttle a bit and gunned it again and popped right up to the top of the hill.
I get it out to the front of the house and it dies. Low on fuel had to switch to reserve. Took a couple shots of starting fluid to get it going but it ran fine. Smoked like hell all the way to Walgreen's.

I mean it was embarrassing the way it was smoking. Went into Walgreen's and got the Pepto. Came out she fired right up and was still smoking but not as bad. Wasn't smoking at all by the time I got home. Walgreen's is about four blocks away.

So anyway, anyone got a fairing mount mirror for the left hand side of an 1100?
Skynight likes this.

P.G.R. Member ID: 88374

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our Soldiers are what make us strong. Without them there would be no USA.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 10:10 PM

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL-1800A
Garage
Post imported post

Sorry this happened to you but...welcome to the club. I've said for a long time, there are two types of us riding wings...those who have dropped them and those who lie.

Glad you weren't hurt, hope the ol'lady next door doesn't give you too much grief over the fence.

If I had a mirror I'd send it to ya. I'm sure someone will help out soon.
Skynight likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GWRRA 327965
Rider Ed Level 4 #8529 (Master)
Darksider #1491
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Village Whack Job...

Garage
Post imported post

Mike Hirsh wrote:
Quote:
Sorry this happened to you but...welcome to the club. I've said for a long time, there are two types of us riding wings...those who have dropped them and those who lie.

Glad you weren't hurt, hope the ol'lady next door doesn't give you too much grief over the fence.

If I had a mirror I'd send it to ya. I'm sure someone will help out soon.
Once I got the bike up I went straight over and looked at the fence. It was funny because the first words out of her mouth were "I'm not going to sue you."

I looked at it and I actually didn't do anything to hurt the fence at all. But the 4x4 post is warped from weather. She claims that I bent it when I hit it but...wood doesn't bend from impact...it breaks. It's weather warped but I told her I'd just replace the damn post. And she seems happy with that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Village Whack Job...

Garage
Post imported post

Oh...there are three types of Wingers. Them that's been down, them that are gonna go down, and them that are gonna go down again.

I happen to be a member of all three groups.

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 10:32 PM

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL-1800A
Garage
Post imported post

Yep I'm in that club too. I'm just waiting to initiate my 1800. I dumped my 1500 twice before the crash, once in the damp grass in the front yard with a little touch of the front brake. Second time was late night, I was exhausted and attempted to put it on the center stand in the garage when I got home, I pushed it right over against the wall.

I'm sure the 18 isn't far behind, lol

GWRRA 327965
Rider Ed Level 4 #8529 (Master)
Darksider #1491
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 10:43 AM

Post imported post

Sorry to place humor on your story but I gotta tell ya it was a good laugh !!!! Sorry to here about your mirror. Folks here are incredible and your gonna find one soon. I have yet to lay mine over but came super close to it once. I was turning around in the street with my wife on the bike. She must have shifted position on me at the worse possible time. Handle bars at full turn and still in a forward motion but all most to a stop. Needed to back up a bit to make the turn. Had quite the cager audience as well!!!! Don't know yet what I did wrong but these wing are top heavy as heck without a passenger!!!
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 01:13 PM

Post imported post

My wife's CB250 and my Speed Triple often have a little spot on the back patio, and to reach it I must go through a hilly-grass region to get there.

Every single time I take a bike in or out of there, I worry. There's a route using concrete that's a little more difficult to do - must stop and open gates.

Now I'm thinking I'm going to do that, and save myself from the headache.

My name is Rusty. I'm an enthusiast of things that ride, drive and fly.

IBA: 63413
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 01:49 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Post imported post

Wish I had a buck for every time I have had to pick up a bike.
I am pretty sure a dressed 1100 is harder to pick up than an 1800, I have tried both.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 01:56 PM

Model: GL1100 / GL1200
Post imported post

Broke, if you're talking the Hondaline dog ear mirrors that came stock on 1100 Interstates and Aspencades, PM me your address, I have a set laying handy I'll give you just to get 'em out of my way.

Mike Kramer

"Learn from the past, set vivid, detailed goals for the future, and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control: Now."

Denis Waitley
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Village Whack Job...

Garage
Post imported post

MDKramer wrote:
Quote:
Broke, if you're talking the Hondaline dog ear mirrors that came stock on 1100 Interstates and Aspencades, PM me your address, I have a set laying handy I'll give you just to get 'em out of my way.
Those are the ones. I only need the left one.

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page