Phillips LED Driving lights - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Has anyone used these on a bike?

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-12820W.../dp/B005DX6BRK

Attached Images
File Type: jpg phillips led driving lights.jpg (13.7 KB, 180 views)

Avatar: Republic P-47 Thunderbolt (Jug)
Gotta love that R-2800 and big ole paddle blade prop.....
I love the smell of 100 octane and oil in the morning.....
Just think, this is what the Germans saw barreling in at them.... (8) 50\'s blazin away....
Ride safe and watch your six!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 10:21 AM

Post imported post

LED lights are great for being seen, I use them all the time, and they draw next to no power from the bike or generate any noticeable heat.
The drawback is they will not light up the road ahead of you at night very well at all. Very bright to be seen but pathetic at throwing that light ahead of you. For this reason I have two sets of driving lights, one for the daytime, and a second for night time riding.

Note that it is illegal to use both at the same time, only four white lights are permitted on a vehicle at one time on the roads.

'RIDE TO BE SEEN'

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist is?

"I never saw him".
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

unionjk wrote:
Quote:
LED lights are great for being seen, I use them all the time, and they draw next to no power from the bike or generate any noticeable heat.
The drawback is they will not light up the road ahead of you at night very well at all. Very bright to be seen but pathetic at throwing that light ahead of you. For this reason I have two sets of driving lights, one for the daytime, and a second for night time riding.

Note that it is illegal to use both at the same time, only four white lights are permitted on a vehicle at one time on the roads.
Ok, that is what I was looking for. I was wondering if led lights could be useful for extra lighting ahead of me.......

Avatar: Republic P-47 Thunderbolt (Jug)
Gotta love that R-2800 and big ole paddle blade prop.....
I love the smell of 100 octane and oil in the morning.....
Just think, this is what the Germans saw barreling in at them.... (8) 50\'s blazin away....
Ride safe and watch your six!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 01:07 PM
Senior Mem & Story Teller

Year: 2010
Make: honda
Model: 2010 GL 1800 comfort (buried after fire)
Post imported post

LED headlights.... Well they are here and being used more and more.
I mounted a Hi-intensity LED in each front caster cover on my powerchair. Built a simple voltage regulator with clip leads to clip on one of the batteries and just added a remote micro switch under the control head for the chair.
When I used to go to Catholic Mass I parked myself and my chair in the the middle aisle of the church. The was where the priest said to sit. I had fun with him during his Homily. When he turned his head I would turn the lights on and when he turned the other way I would turn them off. Being he is African it was always neat to have him describe the lights being on then off. His natural ethnic hand jesters really added to the conversation.

Life is a collection of stories we old people tell and hope a few will listen and carry them into the future.

There is a story to everything we have, everyone we have met and everything we have done or we will do or dream about doing.

We sometimes ride to forget, but hopefully we never forget to ride.

Illinois Patriot Guard

Honda SL 175
Honda XL 350
Honda CB 750 X 2
Kawasaki 250
Honda GL 1200 Interstate
Honda GL 1800 (my last and one of the last made in the USA)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 08:12 PM
Still a winger at heart.

Model: Sure wish I could ride...
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to UbarW
Post imported post

If you think led's cannot light up the road, you are mistaken. Check these out...

https://www.rigidindustries.com/

I have these... on the

I am here to tell you, I had to be careful how to aim them so I could see what I wanted to see without blinding the oncoming...

These are a fantastic product. Great wiring harness, focus uptions (flood, hybrid, spot, diffused)...

Give them a look...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders-Id: 79170

Panel 16W - Line 33

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 08:37 PM

Post imported post

UBAR, Those look pretty cool. I have been considering a couple of these.

http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&a mp;productId=74556&langId=-1

"Fire all of your guns at once and explode into space"

Remember, when using any forum, that owning a keyboard and having an internet
connection does not make anyone an expert.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 08:49 PM
Canada Bob

Year: 1992
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500A
Garage
Post imported post

UBarW wrote:
Quote:
If you think led's cannot light up the road, you are mistaken. Check these out...

I have these... on the

I am here to tell you, I had to be careful how to aim them so I could see what I wanted to see without blinding the oncoming...

These are a fantastic product. Great wiring harness, focus uptions (flood, hybrid, spot, diffused)...

Give them a look...
So what do you use the Flood or the Spot?

Proud Survivor of NASSIR 4
Retired Royal Canadian Navy Chief
HMCS OTTAWA, HMCS PROVIDER, CFAV ENDEAVOR
HMCS SASKATCHEWAN, HMCS KOOTENAY, HMCS HURON
HMCS ALGONQUIN (X3)
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." Christopher Hitchens
Honourary Rhino (got my horn at NASSIR 4)
Present ride
1992 GL1500A Cdn Ed.
Former rides
1976 Yamaha RD400
1978 Suzuki GS550
1982 Yamaha 750 Virago
1982 GL1100I (Marie)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 09:26 PM

Post imported post

I have one of the Trucklites in a flood and have experimented with it. I think that I would order the spots. I have heard of some guys that will use a flood on the right and a spot on the left. they illuminate the shoulder and ditch with the flood on the right and aim the left hand spot down the road just low enough to not blindoncomming traffic.

"Fire all of your guns at once and explode into space"

Remember, when using any forum, that owning a keyboard and having an internet
connection does not make anyone an expert.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 11:11 PM
Still a winger at heart.

Garage
Post imported post

wcleafs2002 wrote:
Quote:
UBarW wrote:
Quote:

I have these... on the

Give them a look...
So what do you use the Flood or the Spot?
I bought the hybrid flood. Since they sit tight to each other, I have them pointed outwards a bit, to minimize the overlap. The net affect is that an oncoming driver only gets one lite at a time. I have had them for several months, and not one complaint.

I have had, however, a number of folks comment on how visible they are... lolz

Panel 16W - Line 33

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 11:14 PM
Still a winger at heart.

Garage
Post imported post

just after install...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rigidsmall4.jpg (62.4 KB, 91 views)

Panel 16W - Line 33

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page