Dragon bites - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 11:37 AM

Garage
I saw a map once that had locations marked on it of the biker fatalities. I was unelievable the number of them. If there where tis many deaths in stick and ball games there would be a huge public out cry. +30 since 2000
Wilf

79 gl1000 dresser
80 gl1100I now naked
90 1500 full dress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 11:38 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I can agree to that point of view entirely, he definitely was "behind the curve"

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 11:45 AM

Well, +5 for Target Fixation. He went exactly where he was looking.

If he'd not given up on the curve, and kept scraping his bits and pieces, the room that the Vette driver was giving him might have been enough.

My name is Rusty. I'm an enthusiast of things that ride, drive and fly.

IBA: 63413
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 12:34 PM
Senior Moment Member

Model: 2004 GL1800A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgbeard View Post
well, +5 for target fixation. He went exactly where he was looking.

If he'd not given up on the curve, and kept scraping his bits and pieces, the room that the vette driver was giving him might have been enough.

agreed!!!!

2004 GL1800A Dark Red
Yes that is ice on the fender!!!
Darksider # 902

post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 03:28 PM

Year: 1996
Make: Honda
Model: 1500
Garage
What have we become?

A species intent on collecting trophies and the images we need to document our moronic achievements. Distributed through whatever electronic means we prefer.... face book, personal blog sites, specialty interest forums... even this one!

I am as guilty as anyone...

It's a stupid mistake,,, but I pray for this man and his family.

It could have just as easily been me,

T

Charter Member Texas Horn Toads
Involuntarily Inducted Wild Rhino 2012
The Texas Horned Toad Scottish Invasion 06.11.17 ~ 06.24.17

"I grew up right next door to an EPA Superfund cleanup site...
They claim I should have drain bammage. Putt I peel pines!"
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 06:40 PM

I bet his butt is pretty sore and his pride is pretty hurt. As to what happened? Hanko is spot on. Poor fella, hopefully he got over it and went practising somewhere safer. I loved the dragen and will go back there, this time with a side mounted camera to ketch them fellas faces on crotch rockets, when I pass them....

Winter is here, happy riding and stay safe !
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 07:16 PM

Year: 1999
Model: GL1500SE
You wouldn't be the first to ignore it, but isn't the entire length double yellow? How many crotch rocketeers would move over to let you by in their lane.

I hope the rider in the video is alright. I also think it was a waste of a nice Vet.
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 07:28 PM
Senior Moment Member

Model: 2004 GL1800A
I'm just glad it wasn't me doing that endo. I feel for the guy and I hope he came out of this with just bruises to his ego, but I kind of doubt it.

The guy in the vette has to be really pissed, he even tried avoiding the accident by moving to the far outside of his lane to let the guy make the turn.

I'm wondering if he had to have help putting the lid back on that can of whoop a$$ he opened when the bike hit his baby..

2004 GL1800A Dark Red
Yes that is ice on the fender!!!
Darksider # 902

post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 10:13 PM
Goldwing Addict :-)

Model: GL1500SE, GL1200A
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Jluvs2dive Send a message via MSN to Jluvs2dive Send a message via Yahoo to Jluvs2dive
I have to add my 2 cents here too. This is why I have a problem with the MSF teaching you to stand your bike up straight and then brake in an emergency. That's what I see in the pictures. He leaned hard to try to make the corner, still went over the line so he stood the bike up straight and then hit his brakes, way too late for that to work. If he had been trained to brake into the corner he could have kept his lane. Yeah he should have been slowing for the corner instead of waving, but he still could have made it with the proper training. There was likely target fixation going on as well. I hope he's OK and I too feel for the vette owner!

John

Bought with just under 9000 miles on 08/19/2008

also
84 Aspy
84 Interstate
past
86 GL1200 Aspy
84 Standard
87 Interstate
80 Yam Midnight Special 1100
79 Suz SP400 Enduro
72 Honda SL350
81 Honda XR500
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 06:44 AM

Year: 1999
Model: GL1500SE
The MSF teaches 2 techniques. Of course proper attention and entry speed would have been preferred. But after that point they teach to straighten and then brake if you have room. His inattention left him without that option. The other technique is to brake in the corner, understanding you have less traction for braking while cornering, and then increase braking as the bike slows and straightens up. As I see the pictures he had limited clearance available and seemed to be at about the limits of lean and still heading for the oncoming traffic before he gave up and went to braking. The photos never seem to accurately show the amount of bank in the corners on the dragon. The camera seems to have had a fast picture rate so there probably wasn't much time here from oops to crunch.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page