It's been fun. - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
I haven't quit altogether. Tomorrow I'm heading north with the woman who hangs around here in our F250 to pickup a very nice looking Silverwing Scooter. I had one before and sold it to make room for the Jeep TJ I bought last spring. Now that I've decided to down size there's room for the scooter. Besides the one I'm picking up is red.
I hate to admit it but one of the most enjoyable things I used to do with my previous maxi-scooter was to catch a HD sportster at an intersection waiting for the light to turn green. I'd give that rider a signal, a nod, a sneer and a gesture to see if he was up to it and when the light went green we were off to the drags. That little 600cc twin in the SW would take a HD Sporty across the intersection every time I had the pleasure of trying it. One thing I have to figure out how to disable is Honda has a restriction on the spark advance. Up until the bike gets to 8 or 10mph the spark won't go into full advance when you twist the throttle full open suddenly when stopped. The restriction is to prevent the front wheel from coming off the ground. You can hear it when the timing jumps forward at 8mph and definitely feel it. I bet I could really light up that rear tire if I could bypass the restriction. After all this isn't your grandfather's scooter with 57hp and 500 lbs it's got a higher horsepower to weight than a Supercub.
I'll still be around, still have a few tips and shortcuts that I can drag out to newer members as needed.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 12:46 AM
Goldwing Addict :-)

Model: GL1500SE, GL1200A
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Jluvs2dive Send a message via MSN to Jluvs2dive Send a message via Yahoo to Jluvs2dive
[QUOTE=exavid;1705120]I haven't quit altogether. Tomorrow I'm heading north with the woman who hangs around here in our F250 to pickup a very nice looking Silverwing Scooter. I had one before and sold it to make room for the Jeep TJ I bought last spring.QUOTE]

That's great! I was really surprised when you sold your last Silverwing. I know you really enjoyed it and I'm glad to see your picking up another one.

John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bought with just under 9000 miles on 08/19/2008

also
84 Aspy
84 Interstate
past
86 GL1200 Aspy
84 Standard
87 Interstate
80 Yam Midnight Special 1100
79 Suz SP400 Enduro
72 Honda SL350
81 Honda XR500
post #23 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 07:48 AM
Old School Guru

Year: 2007
Make: Goldwing
Model: GL1800 CSC Trike with Navi
Garage
Darn Paul, without you, who can I bug about the merits of Catfish? Your one of the few that secretly knows that I'm always right. Don't leave, we'll try to behave!
Gene

Gene Lester
Present Bikes: 2007 GL1800 CSC Trike with Navi
Loud pipes don't save lives, they just annoy everyone.
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The "United States of America", for an amount of up to and including their life. (Author unknown)

Proud member of the World Famous Wild Rhinos
Arkansas Chapter
Darksider #265
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 06:32 PM

Model: GL1800
Send a message via Skype™ to wingnut
Good luck Paul with whatever new interests you take up. Your place here with the rest of us will always be reserved for you.

Steve Saunders,
Founder Member & Admin.
post #25 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 06:57 PM

Year: 2009
Make: Honda
Model: 2009 Silver GL1800 ABS
Garage
Paul, your one of the first names I ran into when I found this forum and you have given me help and suggestions on many occasions... I have always respected your comments and opinions and advice...

Sorry to see you sell the big machine but I do hope you stick around as you are a valued member...

In terms of the smaller machine, I've always said, I don't care what a guy (or gal) rides, as long as they ride...

Best Regards,
Les

4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul
Honorary Wild Rhino - 7/10/2014

GL1800 HPNAM9
Darkside #1574 - Bridgestone Driveguard RF
Double Darkside - BT-45

post #26 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Disfunctional Nimatode

Paul,
I can ony re-iterate what the others have already stated. You're a swell fella, and I have benefited greatly from your advise. Please accept my most sincerest gratitude for all your help. I came on this forum in '07..... rebuilt a basket case 1200 back to pristine conditon, jazzed up a nice 1500 to an award winning specimen, and now, picked up a georgeous 1800 with only 3500 miles on it just 2 weeks ago. I would not have been able to accomplish any of this without your advise. Thank you for tollerating my rude, abrasive behavior. I wish you the best in any endevour you chose to undertake. I will still look forward to your contributions here at Goldwingfacts.com................

Three Cheers for Exavid!

Don't want a deal with alot of flibiddy-flab or mumbo-jumbo...........

2003 GL1800 Illusion Blue
post #27 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 06:52 AM
Token Canuk

Model: 1996 SE
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to 96aspencade Send a message via Skype™ to 96aspencade
I as well am glad to have met you at the NASSIRS', a wealth of experience & knowledge that can be taken without any doubt involved.
Ride on Paul .............never be afraid to chip in

Retired Paramedic - 35 yrs
Never had a bad day riding-Just some better than others!!
DD # 1138
30,000 miles - Formosa,
'96 GL 1500 SE - 260,k km
Goodyear Assurance (175/60/16), now on my 2nd
'84 Shadow VT 750c - 35,k km- BF Goodrich Radial TA
'90 Suzuki Intruder 750 88,k km
'85 GL 1200 Aspencade - 185,k km
'83 Shadow 500
'70 Kawasaki KE-125
'?? Suzuki 80

(Skid Prevention/ Emergency Techniques)
post #28 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 07:00 AM

Garage
I have always enjoyed your Posts, and am happy in that you will still be here online for those who have yet to meet you and gleen from you. Seeing how we are not that far away, a meet is not out of the question someday, who know.
Thank you for your time and experiences.

I don\'t care what you ride, just ride.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them--Thomas Jefferson

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves...Abraham Lincoln.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Heathen Darksider # 771.
Falken 912 NRF @44psi.
post #29 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 09:19 AM
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by exavid View Post
I haven't quit altogether. Tomorrow I'm heading north with the woman who hangs around here in our F250 to pickup a very nice looking Silverwing Scooter. I'll still be around, still have a few tips and shortcuts that I can drag out to newer members as needed.
great news! congrats on the new ride and looking forward to pics of the new scoot

Education is never as expensive as ignorance.
post #30 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 11:22 AM

Model: Red GL1800
Paul and all - Although I am fairly new here - I have been riding for years and my 2008 Pearl is the 5th Gold Wing I have owned. Once I took my 2002 blue Wing to have the rear shock replaced with a Progressive 460 and new Progressive front springs and fork oil changed out when the bike had 85k+ on it ... my garage was empty for 3 days. I could not believe I was without my ride and an empty garage seemed so vacant.

I know the feeling about an empty garage and maybe the Silver Wing will fill that void just a little.

I just posted a few photos on my album in the Photo Gallery here. I always said I was going to give up riding when I achieved 60 years of riding. Well, I almost feel I have to back-pedal on that statement since in a year and 2 months I will attain that number and then my age will be 75 years old.

I am still able to ride and have ridden in Alaska and the rest of the "lower 48" plus 6 Canadian Provinces. I feel getting rid of my "Wing" will be left to my oldest son after I have departed this old world.

I am really glad that you have decided to continue on another "Wing" for the peace and love of riding. Hope I have not bored you with this writing. Ride on my friend that I have just not met yet (maybe someday).

Riding in SW OH in the summer - FL in the winters
My sixth Gold wing now - it is a red one this time!
I am on R and R - RETIRED and RIDING
AMA Life Member # 283954
GWRRA Life Member # 028867
Florida Prowler #5
Darksider # 1002 - Dunlop Wintersport 175/60R - 16
OH Chapter L Cincinnati - Former C D
GWRRA International Couple 2006-2007
F and AM #346 - Ohio 40 plus years
AASR 32nd Scottish Rite Mason. 40 plus years
Past Wings - Gl1100, Gl1200, Gl1500, 2002 Gl1800 2003 GL1800 & 2008 Gl1800
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page