2013 Honda Gold Wing F6B - Page 4 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 12:46 PM
Vintage Rider

Model: none at present
I prefer the 1980-1987 1100 and 1200 Interstates because of their smaller size, simplicity, and especially their lack of fuel injection or engine related electronics. I also like their looks. But I'm getting to be an old man now, and riding (in comfort) is starting to take precedence over wrenching. I've always liked cruisers, and this looks like a cross between a cruiser and a touring bike. It has the proven Goldwing engine, and it does not look like a copy of something else. I ride alone, not 2 up, so I can see it holding enough for me for several days anyway. I would probably strap a barrel bag to the back. It also looks comfortable, but I wish it were a bit lighter. It should still have a log COG though, with the engine and gas tank down low.

I like that windshield, and wish I could get one for my 1200, or for a 1500 if I wind up with one of those. I actually like a little wind in the face, my full face helmet works pretty good even on bikes with no windshield up to about 70 mph.

"New vehicles move the body. Old vehicles move the soul. Vintage forever"
"Obsolete does not mean it is not any good, it just means it is not made anymore"
"The simpler the better"
Save the environment. STOP the developers.
PGR member since 2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 09:40 PM

I liked it when I first saw it, but after seeing the Honda promotional video, I'm not so sure. I've always loved the Goldwing for the "loaded" look and feel, but in some shots it just left me saying "that guy just didn't want a Goldwing".

I don't think I'd want to go ride it for a few hundred in the interstate, which I do more than anything else. The windshield wouldn't be enough, and I would miss the trunk, not to mention my rear speakers. I bet it handles like a dream in the twisties, but I wouldn't think of this as a touring motorcycle.

Overall, I'm a bit conflicted. I don't think it's the bike for me.

[COLOR=GREEN]Endwell_Tim
81 GL1100I ---->>>> GONE!!!
90 GL1500 SE
"Opportunity is most often missed because it shows up in overalls, lookin\' like work..."
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 08:57 AM

Model: 2000 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endwell_Tim View Post
I liked it when I first saw it, but after seeing the Honda promotional video, I'm not so sure. I've always loved the Goldwing for the "loaded" look and feel, but in some shots it just left me saying "that guy just didn't want a Goldwing".

I don't think I'd want to go ride it for a few hundred in the interstate, which I do more than anything else. The windshield wouldn't be enough, and I would miss the trunk, not to mention my rear speakers. I bet it handles like a dream in the twisties, but I wouldn't think of this as a touring motorcycle.

Overall, I'm a bit conflicted. I don't think it's the bike for me.
Well I'm a solo traveler so the trunk wouldn't be an issue, and overall I like the look of it.

The only downside for me is as mentioned, eg, the windshield looks cosmetic, not useful. Looks like all the rain and wind would hit the bottom of the helmet and be constantly forcing it up and rain would be right in your face.

Put a little taller shield on it (aftermarket) and it works for me, but just don't happen to have 20 grand laying around now.

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." Salvor Hardin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 01:21 PM

I absolutely love the looks of that bike.I know baggers aren't for everyone,but if I rode by myself and had the money I'd buy one in a heartbeat.I don't normally og out of my way to ride new bikes,but I'll be looking for somewhere(demo ride) to try this one out.

Fatwing Chris
Darkside #1602
Gone Double Dark with a BT45
If I\'d have known it would last this long I would have taken better care of it.
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 09:31 PM

Year: 2007
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800
The New Wing

I saw what I though was the concept version of this new bike a few years back and figured it would be just a matter of time before becoming a reality. I liked the look then and just plain love it now. If I were ready for a new bike I would definitely get one but for now I am still happily courting my 07!

Honor at all cost. Mandatory labotomy for all Tailgaters! Rides Blue 1982 Honda CB 750 Wineberry Red 1984 Honda Goldwing Interstate Drk Red 2007 GL1800 Nav/ABS
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 09:56 PM

Model: 2012 Goldwing (white)
If you don't currently have a Goldwing, then this bike should be your first test drive. You'll probably fall in love with it.
However, if you have a Goldwing now or have had them for many years like I've had, then you'll just have to wait until you have $20K to buy this as an ADDITIONAL bike.

Once you own a Goldwing, you'll always regret leaving the fold of Goldwing ownership, but this bagger will certainly be my 2nd bike in the garage whenever I can afford one.
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 08:28 AM

Model: Sold
As I mentioned Im cooling on it, but definitely want to see one in person..being new to the Wing World, lack of reverse maybe a deal breaker for me...1500 is a bear to move around...it would take some scrounging but I could purchase one....

Phil...
"Veni,Vidi,Velcro"(I came, I saw, I stuck around)

2006 Candy Black Cherry VTX 1300R (Darksider)
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 09:13 AM

Model: 97' SE, Two Tone Red --> 124,024 km as of November 2015

Is the engine set-up any different that the standard Wing ?

Avatar Photo was taken in the Crowsnest Pass between Alberta and British Columbia on Highway 3.
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 09:22 AM

Model: 88 GL 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennX View Post
As I mentioned Im cooling on it, but definitely want to see one in person..being new to the Wing World, lack of reverse maybe a deal breaker for me...1500 is a bear to move around...it would take some scrounging but I could purchase one....
I thought it had reverse as an option. honda wants an extra 1000 bucks for it. I am not at all cool with them taking standard options and making you pay for them. I posted earlier that I dislike the loss of storage and the way the windshield looks.

the bike looks too bulky for the "look" they are trying to get. I think they should have used the vtx platform for this type of bike not the goldwing. and I am not talking about the 1300 vtx.....bring back the vtx 1800.

Ride comfortably or Stay Home
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reachoutwfwf View Post
If you don't currently have a Goldwing, then this bike should be your first test drive. You'll probably fall in love with it.
However, if you have a Goldwing now or have had them for many years like I've had, then you'll just have to wait until you have $20K to buy this as an ADDITIONAL bike.

Once you own a Goldwing, you'll always regret leaving the fold of Goldwing ownership, but this bagger will certainly be my 2nd bike in the garage whenever I can afford one.
Totally agree!
Wouldn't give up the Wing for touring with the wife,but I'd love to have one.

Fatwing Chris
Darkside #1602
Gone Double Dark with a BT45
If I\'d have known it would last this long I would have taken better care of it.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page