Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Still a winger at heart.

Model: Sure wish I could ride...
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to UbarW
abs plastic repair...

I was reading several sites on techniques for abs plastic repair. One feller keeps a cheapo soldering iron to heat up and, in effect, weld across cracks. He uses the cheapo because of the fouling of the tip.

Has anyone tried this? Sounds feasible. Weld across the crack, and then support with some other methods, such as abs dust and cement...

Thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders-Id: 79170

Panel 16W - Line 33

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 08:27 PM

Model: 1981 1100
Garage
I use the soldering technique and use plumbers flashing tape for support on the inside of the fairing which is reasonably effective. I have seen others mentioning that they use ABS cement which I would like to try but the only plumbers cement I have seen in Oz is PVC cement. When I am in the US in August I intend to check out ABS cement as I would prefer to be able to thicken the repair like you do when using fibreglass.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Still a winger at heart.

Model: Sure wish I could ride...
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to UbarW
I am considering some metal flashing inside, attached with butyl tape. My son says it will stick to anything...

Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders-Id: 79170

Panel 16W - Line 33

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 08:53 PM
Wild Rhino - Canadian

Year: 2017
Model: 2017 GL1800
I found it somewhere on the site, you can make your own ABS Glue, you take a scrap piece of plastic ABS and cut it into small pieces or shavings, place in small glass jar then add some acetone solvent, not much, put the lid back on and come back to it the next day. The mess in the bottom of the jar works great to repair ABS, if you don't use up that batch, just leave it, and add more acetone the next time you need some. It will dry out in a couple of days, but will still be able to be reused.

2017 GL1800
USAF, MSgt. Retired
Wild Rhino
Patriot Guard
Dark Side #1019
N0PCT - General
Used to Fly Airplanes for fun
Used to Scuba Dive for fun
Now I ride the most awesome motorcycle on the face of the planet.
There is alot of other stuff that could go here.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Oh - THAT guy...

Year: 2000
Make: 1500
Model: SE
I have used the ABS glue/cement to hold on a side cover pin that busted. That was two years ago and it still is holding strong.

Vote one for year-round riding! Austone Darksider PVT (Passenger Vehicle Tire)

Most recent Wing: 128k+ on the 2000 GL1500 SE (Just totaled) due to being rear-ended...
Current ride (for now) 2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Previous wings: '78GL1000, 13k mile '77 GL1000 (resto at home, neat story!), '81 GL1100 Interstate.
Previous non-wings: CB360T, Suzuki GS550L, Yamaha 650 spcl (first bike!), Silverwing 500, Yamaha Spectre 1100, VFR700F, CB900 Custom.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 10:24 PM

Model: 1997 GL1500 SE
I found one of these welders on the bargain table at a pawn shop (except it was a model 5):

http://www.urethanesupply.com/5600HT.php

I figure it would be good for filling in cracks, and especially for when removing racks from lids. Shape the leftover hole, add a small square of ABS to the backside, and weld in the hole, sand it down, and no trace of a drilled out cover. I have also found several sources for black ABS rod.

1997 GL1500 SE Pearl Sapphire Black
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 06:15 AM

Year: 1999
Model: GL1500SE
JB Weld. The plastic weld variant.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 09:25 PM

Model: GL1500SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechtech1 View Post
I found it somewhere on the site, you can make your own ABS Glue, you take a scrap piece of plastic ABS and cut it into small pieces or shavings, place in small glass jar then add some acetone solvent, not much, put the lid back on and come back to it the next day. The mess in the bottom of the jar works great to repair ABS, if you don't use up that batch, just leave it, and add more acetone the next time you need some. It will dry out in a couple of days, but will still be able to be reused.
Just be careful on how much of the goop you apply. It can warp panels.

Len
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 11:23 PM

Year: 1984 1978
Make: honda
Model: Gl 1200 Gl 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechtech1 View Post
Go to Ace Hardware and ask for ABS Glue comes in a brush top can like 4.00. I have had very good luck with that and fiberglass mat soaked in the glue used on the inside. You have to clean all of the paint off to get a good bond. Let dry completely before you apply any more coats or the solvents may soften and ripple the piece. I have done a few bikes in that manner and it worked great...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 08:12 PM

Year: 2009
Make: Honda
it is a knowen fact that "RUDY" has the best way for repairs. he is a member here and can use the support

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/...t-offered.html

RIDE\' em IF YOU GOT\' em
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page