I need a new windshield.... Optic Armor?? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Model: 1500 & 1800
Garage
I need a new windshield.... Optic Armor??

I have been looking for a new windshield for the 1800.

Right now, I have the stock windscreen with no air wings (will not always be the case.....)

I posted a question for F4 Customs here on the forum, but no response from them. I know I can email or call them, but they did say if you have any questions to Post it here and they would answer.......... Apparently not!

I have been looking at different screens and reading Manufacturers claims and user review on many, and have narrowed the search to a couple. But then today, while searching, I ran across Optic Armor.......??

Never seen this one before so I did some (10 minutes) looking into it. So far, I have found them on EBay.......

The spec on these is EXACTLY the same as the F4 windshield but they are about $150 cheaper.

In one forum thread that came up in my search they said that Optic Armor makes the F4 screens for F4 customs.... ?? Is this true?? I mean...... I read it on the internet.........

I can get a Optic Armor +4 windshield with a vent, exact same dimensions, scratch resistance and strength as the F4 for $279 versus $425 for an F4.

Anyone have any experience with Optic Armor or know anything about them??

2012 Gl1800 Trike w/Hannigan Kit. 16000
2001 GL1800 ........ 73000 Miles
1989 GL1500 ...... 133000 miles and climbing

Darksider #551 - Austone Taxi Tire / Yokohama
Honorary Rhino.......

Honorary Newfie!! I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" so I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.

Life is Hard.......... It's even Harder if your Stupid.......... Don't ask me how I know.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 11:39 AM

Garage
There are many on this forum that have opted for the F4 or Cee Bailey windscreens. Have never heard of Optic Armor until this post. I think either choice you will be happy with, both are clearer (especially at night) and have less buffeting. Personally if it did not matter I would go with the F4 myself. I still have not upgraded mine, but the stock windshield does good enough for me.

I don\'t care what you ride, just ride.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them--Thomas Jefferson

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves...Abraham Lincoln.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Heathen Darksider # 771.
Falken 912 NRF @44psi.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Here's a link to the post I found from someone with a similar question as mine. One response says that Optic Armor builds these for F4.

http://www.triketalk.com/forum/honda...shields-15180/

Honorary Rhino.......

Honorary Newfie!! I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" so I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.

Life is Hard.......... It's even Harder if your Stupid.......... Don't ask me how I know.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 08:15 PM

Model: 88 & 95SE 1500's, 82 1100I, 80 1100, etc..
What do you mean a +4? Surely your not going super tall are you?
My 95 has a Cee Bailey's and I'm not sure the height but you saw it's a bit short, and I can look over it well.
The 88 had a tall and I did not like it many times at all, was just too hard to see through many times and sometimes could not see through it at all like in fog, and trying to look over it was a big pain trying to ride half standing up.

Chromo

I ride for FOOD

99 SE 1500, Also riding now, Red ( Second fastest color)
95 SE 1500, riding now, Purple (the fastest color)
88 1500 recovering from deer hit, Phantom Gray (Most expensive color )
82 1100 riding sometimes, Red
Also 80 1100 naked and 86 1200 Interstate, not running yet.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
If the wind shield is well made, it has good clarity and seeing through it, for me, is not a problem. On my 1200, it had the stock wind shield and I could see over it just fine, but wind and buffeting was a huge draw back.

On the 1500 I have a show chrome, which is 3" wider and about 2 1/2" taller. I like that one, on the 1500, I feel nothing, and with the wind wings, it's like Im in a bubble, no wind, very little rain will ever hit me and most importantly, I can hear the radio.......

So yes, I want taller. Theres a couple of things that I don't like about CeeBaily's, Customer service is one thing, reviews are not that good if there is an issue, and no matter the issue, I have to pay shipping back.......... No thanks. It's also very square and some of the reviews that I have read contributed poor(er) Gas Mileage to that. I laugh when I read that because now every time I see one, I think of what Dusty says about the 1500, "It;s like driving a barn door down the road". Maybe it's the windshield?..........

Some reviews that I have read on certain models, including the tulsa tall, indicate no change or improved MPG. I guess that would depend on what they had on there to begin with. I don't care for the swept back look of the Tulsa Tall, although everyone that has posted about the Tulsa on their 1800, love it.

I may pull the trigger on one of the Optic Armor as it looks and sounds just like the F4, just cheaper. Or I may just stay with the cheaper Show Chrome large windshield, as it works well on the 1500, just isn't as durable, and Im sure a shorter life span.

And later in life, if I find that it's too tall....... I can get the saw out....... Can't do that if it is too short.

Honorary Rhino.......

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 09:35 PM

Model: 2007 Gl1800 HPN
Beyond this...
all the other considerations are optional fluff. I insist on only one thing...it's made of polycarbonate.

Shiny Side Up !
Jim
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I had seen something similar to this earlier, and your right, material does mater.

I do think about driving down the road and having a passing car throw something out the window. I would certainly want something that will withstand the hit. However if that gun thing ever happens.....??....... Im probably not going to care what windshield I had.......

Honorary Rhino.......

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 10:26 PM
Still a winger at heart.

Model: Sure wish I could ride...
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to UbarW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobe05 View Post
I Im probably not going to care what windshield I had.......
polycarbonate underwear...

Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders-Id: 79170

Panel 16W - Line 33

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 10:46 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
I built an Avid Flyer airplane (like a Kitfox) and made a windshield out of 1/8" Lexan which is GE's name for polycarbonate. I'd heard how tough the stuff was and took a sample of scrap shot it with my 9mm S&W model 39. The pistol was loaded with 115gr full jacket ammo. Result was a hole in the polycarbonate. Most bike windshields are a bit thicker than 1/8", usually around 3/16" so they might withstand a bit more. One thing to be careful with is not to get gasoline on poly. The stuff can instantly craze in any area that has a bend in it. The first windshield I made for my plane got a small splash of gas on it and before I could even put the gas can down every rivet hole and the sharper bends up by the wing leading edges was starred or crazed. I had to make another. Which was irritating especially when you consider the price of a sheet of 1/8" Lexan.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 06:53 PM

Model: 2008 GL1800
Garage
I bought the VStream Special Edition Windshield (T55-2147) for my 2008 Goldwing from Cyclemax.com and am very happy with it. It keeps more wind off my wife and came with the vent standard. $296 with free shipping.

2008 Red GW
NRA Life Member
American Legion PUFL
American Legion Riders
USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page