Used Part Sales or not? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Model: GL1100 1981
Used Part Sales or not?

I am 7 years out from retirement from the fire department. I was considering starting a side business buying salvaged Gold wings and parting them out. Is the market getting stronger for used Honda’s / Gold Wings or would it be better to concentrate on other models? I am curious to the overall view of this forum.
How hard is it to find these bikes? Many many questions just don’t want to be a pain.
Thanks for any advice you may have offered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 05:47 AM

Year: 75,83I,86SEi,93A,94SE,03ABS
Model: 94SE 209000 miles
Welcome to the forum family .
I know 2 people who were parting Wings exclusively and another who does mutiple models /brands . The first one has dropped wings and moved on to MiniCooper parting . The second has changed to mostly Valkyrie and once a while a wing . The third has a large store front and huge warehouse of parts . Though he does more business in sport bikes .
I have no idea how they make contact with insurance company to by salvage .

Thank you for your years of service to your community in the fire dept . May your retirement be filled with good times .

Mike
NASSIR 1
NASSIR 6
NASSIR 7
NASSIR 8
NASR 10 Good times!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 07:07 AM

Model: 1984 GL1200 Standard & 1987 GL1200 Interstate
Garage
Do you plan on doing just a local business or will you also be doing an on line business?? Take a look around where you live... how many vintage bikes do you see being ridden and what kinds are they? Around my area, there are more an more vintage bikes on the road every day and they are not just Wings. So you really have to answer that question with what you expect your business to become.

As far as salvaged goes, no idea, but buying someones rats nest is a completely different matter. Go to searchtempest and punch in the brand you are looking for in your general area and you can see what kind of availbability there is in your area and also how far you might have to go to get what you want.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 02:43 PM

Model: 96 1500 se
Garage
Own a 1500 Gold Wing and a 1500 Kawasaki Classic I would think it would be better not to limit yourself to a single make and model I would have no problem buying good salvage parts. Also there are a lot of older bikes out there that only parts you can get are used. Good luck on your endeavor and best wishes on your retirement
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 06:56 AM

Model: GL1500SE
There is money to be made but I don't think anyone but yourself can tell you whether the numbers would meet your expectations.

I don't know about your local regulations. Would you have to licence yourself as an automotive recycler? If yes there could be massive environmental requirements.

The biggest problem is that most calls will be for the same rare item. Goldwing engines are easier to come by than the battery covers.

I would think that you need an intimate knowledge of any bike you deal with. Does the rear wheel from a 1992 GL1500 fit a 1996? Does the reg / rec from an 1100 work on a 1200?

Do you know how to test the various parts and have the equipment. Bad vibes if you sell a part and it's defective.

Are you prepared to deal with unrealistic people?

I once looked at a 1200 that I hoped could be fixed up. The owner was non commital on condition but since it wasn't too far away I went to see it.
It had been poorly repainted with spray cans.
The tires were bald
Every bit of chrome was rusted
The exhausts were shot
The forks leaked
The seat was upholstered with duct tape
The batttery cover was missing
The windshield was hazy
It needed brakes and rotors

He started it and the motor sounded strong but that was the only decent part of the bike.

What do you see in the above bike that is worth salvaging?
What would you pay for the bike?

The guy was looking for a couple of thousand dollars. I passed.

Len
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 04:24 PM

Model: GL1500, GL1800
There's a guy out here in Chino CA that's been doing that for awhile ...buys every local bike on Craigslist (before anyone else can get them, it seems), then sells the parts mostly on Ebay.

PM me for his contact info... there's a decent chance that you could simply phone him, and ask for insider info about the biz

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I void warranties

KJ6QFZ
Dark Side #590

GL1500, 1990SE, 220k miles
Front: Bridgestone Battlax BT45, 41psi
Rear: Austone 175R16, 50psi

GL1800, 2003, 60K miles [following virginity reconstruction]
Front: Bridgestone Battlax BT45, 41psi
Rear: Pirelli Winter Snowcontrol Series3, Run Flat, 41 psi
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 11:39 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
I did some of that about eight years ago for a couple years. Mostly I refurbished non-running 1100s. The ones that were too far gone I'd salvage parts from. I'd clean 'em up and sell them on ebay. The bikes I sold on CL and parts on eBay. You need a larger area to sell used parts on old bikes. The bikes sold well on CL and didn't need to be crated or shipped.
There's some money to be had but it's not that great. I was lucky to make $500 on refurbishing a bike. Once in awhile I'd get a decent on that didn't take much in the way of parts to get it back roadworthy and make more. I cleared $1500 on a nice '80 Standard GL1100. I wish I'd kept it though. If you treat the idea like a hobby that makes a bit of cash it's worth doing. But if you're hoping to make mu more than a couple three dollars an hour forget it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page