To Part or not to Part . . . that is the quesion! - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Model: '83 1100 Interstate
To Part or not to Part . . . that is the quesion!

Back in May I bought an '83 Interstate and have put money, time, blood, sweat (I live in Florida!), and, well, no tears, into it. It was running great and was beginning to look quite nice and then back in October it started running poorly over a period of about a week. I did some troubleshooting to figure out what has gone wrong but I'm not very good at it and now I can't even get it started. Because the bug to ride had bitten so badly, I went out and bought an '04 1800. I am loving the new (to me) ride and don't plan on putting any more of the above mentioned items into the '83. So, I've been planning on parting it out to recoup some of my investment. Those of you who have done this, is it worth the time tearing down, cleaning, posting, and shipping? Would it be better to try to sell it as is or would I take a huge beating on it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 03:26 PM

Model: 1983 Aspencade
Just so you are aware, you will probably end up with a lot of stuff that just won't sell. As far as how far in the hole you are going to go, well, I don't know how much you paid.

Why not put the whole bike up on *that* aution site, less hassle, and it's all gone as one.

I've parted out cars before, it took a long time, but I was lucky, I sold everything as the car was very very rare (Citroën SM). The GL1100 is not that rare.

Cosmo
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 03:33 PM

Year: 88, 85 ,79 , 68 , 71 , 2012
Make: 88 Goldwing, 85 Vmax, , 71 XS 650, 68 TC 200 Stingray
Model: gl 1500
Garage
Yeah there are always a lot of parts you end up stuck with that wont sell. I have parted out a lot of bikes & you end up with quite a bit left over usually. I don't know what you have in it but it might be worth just selling whole if you don't want parts laying around for ever. I know you put a lot of sweat in it I am in Florida to a couple hours from you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 03:42 PM

Year: 1978, 1979, 1985, 1995
Make: Honda
Model: GL1000, GL1000, GL1200I, GL1500I
Paul, I am looking for a GL1100 to add to the collection. If you decide to sell it, send me some pics and your asking price. Maybe we can work something out.

Thanks.

D J
1978 GL1000
1985 GL1200 Interstate
1995 GL1500 Interstate
2006 VTX 1300S

Visit me at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 11:50 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
I've done both when I had my shop. You can realize a bit more money out of the bike by parting out but it's a lot of work to get good prices. I always cleaned up each part I sold on eBay which took some time and effort. Then there's the packaging and getting the part shipped. When you have a bunch of parts on sale it's a bit of a pain listing them all then keeping track of what each auction is doing. Most of the sales I made were okay it was just the amount of effort a bunch of small sales take.
If I were you I'd sell the bike for parts. It's a quick clean way to realize some money and will help someone who's working to get a good old machine running again. Did I mention a lot easier?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 03:23 AM

Year: 1985
Model: 1985 GL1200 LTD
Garage
I technically "parted out" two vehicles, a VW cabrio and a BMW 540i. Not the whole cars, but a big group of parts. I did it all on flea bay. I used a scale that was tested to within a couple ounces of the one at my post office and measured each box perfectly to enter in the info for their "shipping calculator". It was under estimated on EVERY package, to the point that when the stack of parts was gone and I tallied it up, I grossed about $1600 total and only netted about $450. I was pretty upset, but all ebay had to say was "try to contact the buyers and see if they'll make up the difference". I haven't sold anything on there since.

Moral of the story is, parting out is a lot of work and you have to watch your back or that's where you'll take it... but if you do it right (not my way) there is potential for more return.

1985 LTD.... 121,000 miles and counting

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." _ Ben Franklin

"Oops, that wasn't suppose to happen" _ Kevin (me)
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 05:43 AM

Model: 88 & 95SE 1500's, 82 1100I, 80 1100, etc..
Well first off if you EBAY DO NOT use any of their JUNK!!

Just do a simple listing with good details and description and host your own pictures on a free site you can link to, or like me my own site. Do not pay there stupid fees for extra pics or put up with the stupid pages of pics ther do that do not display well for many of us.

As for shipping, figure it out for yourself then put in the shipping cost in your listing!
DO NOT let Ebay figure it for you!
If for example your shipping from FL. then figure cost to ship to WA. and put that or a little less as your shipping price.
Figure the longest distance and estimate your package a little heavier than it will be.
Try not to gouge on the shipping, but at least you cover your butt on it.

If YOU figure shipping is $20 then you charge $20, do not let Ebay estimate at $10 shipping then you pay the $20!

As far as rather to part it out or sell it as a whole bike, it's a crap shoot.
You may make more $$ in parts, but how much time and shipping costs, Paypal Fees, and if Ebay their fees?
Taking less as a whole bike not running may be worth more as a fast sell you don't have to mess with and could be doing other things or out riding instead of stripping and cleaning parts.

Chromo

I ride for FOOD

99 SE 1500, Also riding now, Red ( Second fastest color)
95 SE 1500, riding now, Purple (the fastest color)
88 1500 recovering from deer hit, Phantom Gray (Most expensive color )
82 1100 riding sometimes, Red
Also 80 1100 naked and 86 1200 Interstate, not running yet.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 05:47 AM

Model: 1988 GL1500
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Magnum 1
For me time and shop space were the biggest considerations. It takes a lot of time. I found that the sales go pretty good to a point and then they almost stop. I was left with half a bike in the garage, too expensive to put back on the road, so I was about to haul frame, eng, forks and wheels to a wrecking yard
when I sold the rest to a guy for a trike project. That took close to 2 years. I
won't be doing that again. Thankfully I broke even.

Chris

Some mornings it's just better to fill the sink with coffee,
dunk your head, and suck!

1988 GL1500
1982 GL1100i
1963 Harley Pan Head (ridged)
1973 Yamaha TX500
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 07:30 AM

Year: 88, 85 ,79 , 68 , 71 , 2012
Make: 88 Goldwing, 85 Vmax, , 71 XS 650, 68 TC 200 Stingray
Model: gl 1500
Garage
If I did not already have so many projects already. I would consider looking at this. I would like to build an old stripped down wing.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 04:16 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I have found that with me now living in a very rural area, it is next to impossible for me to be able to sell anything "locally".

And shipping out now via the USPO is so expensive, oh my garsh...
I dropped nearly $60 sending out Christmas gifts. Would have been a lot cheaper to just point and click on the internet and let them do it for me.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page