GL1100 Fuel Starved after fillling tank - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1990
Make: GL1500
Model: Aspencade
GL1100 Fuel Starved after fillling tank

I purchased my new to my 1983 GL1100 last September. It had barely a quarter of tank of fuel when I bought it and only rode it a few times for a couple of miles. It would also start on the first bump of the starter.

I went ahead and filled it up with straight unleaded and parked it in the garage. A week later, I went to start her and she cranked over a number of times and finally hit. But then she would just barely idle and if I gave it any gas at all, it would die. If I let it run, it will eventually throttle up and then run as normal with no delay.

It sat over the winter and the same thing occured this spring when I tried to start it up. It would fire but barely run. If I gave it any gas, it would die as if it was fuel starved. I would let it sit there sputtering and try to give it an ever so slight amount of throttle. Eventually, it would get better and then run as normal. It works fine for the rest of the day and fires right up.

I let it sit for a couple of days and go through the same thing again. I play with the choke but it doesn't seem to make any difference. The previous owner told me he replaced the fuel pump but it makes me wonder if it's a fuel pressure issue.

Any ideas what I should look for or try differently?

Thanks in advance.

A brand new Gold Wing owner.

Dave in Pierre, SD

Last edited by dvoeltz; 05-12-2014 at 03:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 04:27 PM
Village Whack Job...

Model: '81 GL1100 Interstate
Garage
Sounds like a bad/disconnected choke cable to me. These bikes need to be choked at start up. If moving the choke lever makes no difference, the choke isn't working properly.

P.G.R. Member ID: 88374

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our Soldiers are what make us strong. Without them there would be no USA.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 04:35 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
I suspect filling the tank loosed a bunch of crud and rust and sent it to the carbs.

Why ain't we ridin'?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 05:11 PM
Just one of the guys

Model: '94 1500 SE with Tri-wing Trike kit
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke Winger View Post
Sounds like a bad/disconnected choke cable to me. These bikes need to be choked at start up. If moving the choke lever makes no difference, the choke isn't working properly.
I agree with broke, sounds like bad choke. If bike is running, move the choke, the engine should change. If no change choke is not working

Doug

Home Security System designed by Bill Ruger

'94 Bermuda Green Pearl SE With Tri-Wing Trike conversion

The more I try to keep my Trike clean, the less I like Chrome.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1990
Make: GL1500
Model: Aspencade
It was indeed the choke, or lack of use, that was causing my hard starting problem. When I went to test drive it before purchasing it, the PO said he didn't have to choke it to get it started. The engine was indeed cold (80 degree day) and it started right off with no choke.

I was tryin to start it at 50 degrees without choking it and having problems. I finally applied full choke and it started fine. Talk about feeling stupid!!!!! Anyway, problem solved.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page