Use a GW's CB with BT Wireless Headset - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Reb

Model: GL1800
Use a GW's CB with BT Wireless Headset

If you have a GW with a CB, and you want to talk on it with a BT wireless headset, then keep reading.

A harness is now available that allows you to connect a BT transceiver to your GW's audio system. You can have an intercom conversation with your GW, which means you can hear everything the GW's audio system can send, such as AM, FM, CD, Aux, Wx, Nav, and CB. Plus, you can talk on the CB in the same manner as riders with wired headsets do.

I am the inventor. Sierra Electronics (SE) is the producer and retailer. I get zero $ for each unit sold. I am not a SE employee or agent. My reward is the satisfaction of knowing I created something some GW riders will find useful. I got SE to produce and sell it because I have a real job and don't have the time to produce the harness in the numbers needed to meet the demand.

For more info on how it works go to SE's home page and click on the "Sierra/Sena Goldwing Blue Tooth Harness" link.

Check the pictures. One is of the Sena SMH10 unit in my GW's left glove box. The other is the prototype harness.

Please be aware that the harness's only compromise is that the Blue Tooth Intercom Profile can handle only mono music, not stereo. Not a problem if your music comes from a device paired to the headset unit. For stereo from the bike, many GW riders plug the harness's second audio cable into a Sena SM10. They toggle to intercom to talk on the CB, then back to the SM10 for stereo music (can still hear the CB).

If you've held off from going wireless because you can't talk on the CB, then please reconsider because now you can.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0699.jpg (108.1 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg GW-9.jpg (211.2 KB, 150 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 10:06 PM

Model: 2010 GL1800
What is that little wire? Is that some kind of connector?

Wildrat/Mark
2010 Metallic Black GL1800 Audio Comfort Nav XM ABS model
Darkside #1629 (NRF 195/55R-16 Yokohama AVID ENVigor)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Reb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildrat View Post
What is that little wire? Is that some kind of connector?
The harness has a 6-way connector on one end that plugs into the bike. On the other end, it has a little wire/plug and a cable with a 3.5mm stereo plug that connects to a Sena helmet clamp. The helmet clamp is necessary to provide connections to the Sena SMH10. When all hooked up, the SMH10 is directly connected to the bike's audio system. Attached picture shows connections to the helmet clamp.

Back to the little wire: It sends the bike's audio-out signals into the SMH10's mic circuit, which then transmits those signals to your helmet unit and eventually to your helmet's speakers. This is the path for listening to every audio signal your bike can produce.

The cable with the 3.5mm stereo plug is the path for sending audio-out from the bike's SMH10 to the bike's audio system's mic circuit, which then sends those signals to the CB for transmission out as radio waves. This the path for talking on the CB.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0607.jpg (101.5 KB, 75 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 10:08 AM

Model: 1995 Interstate
Where on the bike does this white plug go? Will this work on a GL1500?

1995GL1500 Interstate w/Champion Sidecar
1993 GL1500 I
1988 Vulcan 800A
1986 Yamaha Venture
N4RWM
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 05:37 PM
Unofficial Youtube Addict

Year: 1991
Make: Honda
Model: 1991 Goldwing SE Anniversary Edition
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Myers View Post
Where on the bike does this white plug go? Will this work on a GL1500?
Yes can this work for gl1500?
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Reb

Gl1500

Have not yet had a GL1500 rider step forward to test one on his bike. So, I'm not sure the GL1800/SMH10 harness will work on a GL1500; but, I know it wouldn't take much effort to create one that will.

In theory, the harness will work with any bike's audio system and any BT wireless headset; however, in reality, it must be tuned so it works well. Tuned means I have to adjust the resistor values slightly (the harness uses 7). Once it's tuned for a GL1500 and a certain model of BT headset (say a Sena SMH10) thereafter that version of the harness will work for all riders with such a bike/headset combo.

The harness for sale by SE is for the GL1800/SMH10 combo only. However, I have built harnesses for the following bike/headset combinations: GL1800/Scala G4/G9; and HD/SMH10. Testing went well with these other combos and they are now being evaluated for production.

The only thing keeping other combos from being offered is the speed of development and testing. I have a GL1800 and SMH10 headset only; so, development and testing on other bikes and BT headsets requires me to work with someone who has these things. We send the harness back and forth sometimes 10 times until we get it just right; so, that takes time. Then, I send all the info to SE to see if interests them to produce it for the masses.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 08:02 PM

Model: 1995 Interstate
Well, I had started to build something of this sort since the Sena will not do what I wanted. Sort of got sidetracked by other unfun projects.
I would presume one would unplug the 5pin headset cord and plug this unit in there instead? My 1500 may not be a good test mule but it is a willing subject. I would need another Sena and helmet clamp too?

1995GL1500 Interstate w/Champion Sidecar
1993 GL1500 I
1988 Vulcan 800A
1986 Yamaha Venture
N4RWM
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Reb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Myers View Post
Well, I had started to build something of this sort since the Sena will not do what I wanted. Sort of got sidetracked by other unfun projects.
I would presume one would unplug the 5pin headset cord and plug this unit in there instead? My 1500 may not be a good test mule but it is a willing subject. I would need another Sena and helmet clamp too?
At first, most riders just use their passenger's SMH10 for the bike, until they see that it works well, and then later they go buy another SMH10 module ($110) to replace the passenger's unit.

The harness, whether from me or SE, comes with a Sena SMH10 helmet clamp, which is a $35 item by itself. When I work with testers I charge only for parts, no labor. The SE unit is $99 due to the labor to produce it.

To your questions: Yes, you unplug the headset cord at the connector under the left glove box, but you plug it back into the "pass-through" connector on the harness; so, you can still use a wired headset or hand mic or whatever. Yes, your 'test mule' might work well enough. No, I would provide you the helmet clamp when I send you the harness. No, you would not need another SMH10 for testing because you would just use your passenger's unit.

Testing is a [email protected]$$, so a great deal of patience is required. You'd be installing/removing the harness often, shipping it back to me for adjustments until we get it right.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 11:22 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
The Bluetooth arrangement works well. I'm using a Sena SR10 adapter and SMH5 (earlier unit) for intercom and linking to my CB and iPhone on my K1100LT. It works very well and gives me the intercom and CB plus hands free telephone with wireless helmets. I think wired helmets will soon be a thing of the past. The neat thing is that with the Sena and other Bluetooth equipped helmets you can pair up with a group of bikes and have over a half mile range. Much better audio quality than the CB. The Bluetooth units can also leap frog from bike to bike to increase the communication range with a group of bikes that are linked.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 01:03 AM
Trike Master

Model: 06 levelIII/Hannigan
Just one question, how long do the batteries last in the headsets before they need recharged?
OK 2, does the unit on the bike required charging?
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page